• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Cricket Trivia - 'SJS format'

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Somerset said:
Is it to do with a large number of wickets?
I think you should clarify large ???
In fact the question itself, for large number of wickets in a match, a tournament, a year, a careeer etc ??

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
I think you should clarify large ???
In fact the question itself, for large number of wickets in a match, a tournament, a year, a careeer etc ??
Does the record have to do with a large number of wickets? Large as in greater than most of the other bowlers at the time.

I am unsure as to whether this record was in a tournament, year, career, etc. anyway...

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Does the record[/i] have to do with a large number of wickets? Large as in greater than most of the other bowlers at the time. ....NO (its the best answer I can give from my understanding of your question) :)

I

SJS

Hall of Fame Member

I am the holder of a remarkable record in my country's first class game, yet I never played test cricket. Who am I ?

Q1. am i from subcontinent???....NO
Q2. Is this a batting record?....NO
Q3. Am I from Australia?....NO
Q4. Bowling record?.....YES
Q5. Does the record
have to do with a large number of wickets? Large as in greater than most of the other bowlers at the time. ....NO
Q6. in one match?....NO
Q7. Did I make my debut before World War II?.....YES
Q8. Is it a spinner ?......NO
Q9. am i english??.....NO

[/I]

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member

I am the holder of a remarkable record in my country's first class game, yet I never played test cricket. Who am I ?

Q1. am i from subcontinent???....NO
Q2. Is this a batting record?....NO
Q3. Am I from Australia?....NO
Q4. Bowling record?.....YES
Q5. Does the record
have to do with a large number of wickets? Large as in greater than most of the other bowlers at the time. ....NO
Q6. in one match?....NO
Q7. Did I make my debut before World War II?.....YES
Q8. Is it a spinner ?......NO
Q9. am i english??.....NO

Hint # 1 : I was born in Rhodesia

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Was he playing domestic cricket in South Africa ?....YES

Did he play before WW I ?.....NO

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Did he play in the 1920s?

Was the record for most wickets in an innings ?
My apologies for some big bloomers !!

Bloomer number 1. The player in question was not born in Rhodesia but was a Rhodesian. The difference is not obvious but it makes my hint wrong !!

Bloomer number 2. The player DID play test matches (surprise surprise) must sue the publishers and an editor of the eminence of Frindall !! for such wrong facts !! I just checked the cricket info site in looking for an answer to Jason's question regarding his playing in te 20's !!

Thousand apologies, sir jeeeee.

What do you want me to do now ???

:blink:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Tell us which questions were wrong by reproducing the answers corrected of course .

But going by what you are saying my guess is Bob Crisp !! :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Tell us which questions were wrong by reproducing the answers corrected of course .

But going by what you are saying my guess is Bob Crisp !! :)
For once you made my job easier by getting the correct answer. !!

A REMARKABLE MAN !!

Bob Crisp, DSO, MC, who died in Essex on March 3, 1994, aged 82, was one of the most extraordinary men ever to play Test cricket. His cricket, which is only a fraction of the story, was explosive enough: he is the only bowler to have taken four wickets in four balls twice. Born in Calcutta, he was educated in Rhodesia and, after taking nine for 64 for Western Province against Natal in 1933–34, which included his second set of four in four, was chosen for the South Africans’ 1935 tour of England. He took 107 wickets on the tour at a brisk fast-medium, including five for 99 in the Old Trafford Test. Crisp played four further Tests against Australia in 1935–36 and appeared eight times for Worcestershire in 1938 without ever achieving a huge amount.

But it is astonishing that he ever found a moment for such a time-consuming game as cricket. He was essentially an adventurer -- he had just climbed Kilimanjaro when he got news that he was wanted for the 1935 tour -- with something of an attention span problem. Like other such characters, his defining moment came in the Second World War when he was an outstanding but turbulent tank commander, fighting his own personal war against better-armoured Germans in Greece and North Africa. He had six tanks blasted from under him in a month but carried on fighting and was awarded the DSO for outstanding ability and great gallantry. However, he annoyed authority so much that General Montgomery intervened personally and prevented him being given a Bar a year later; his second honour was downgraded to an MC. Crisp was mentioned in despatches four times before being invalided out in Normandy. The King asked if his bowling would be affected. "No, sire," he is alleged to have replied. "I was hit in the head."

Crisp never did play again and found that the tedium of peacetime presented him with a problem far harder than anything offered by the Germans. He was briefly a journalist for a succession of newspapers, and went back to South Africa where he founded the now firmly-established paper for blacks, Drum. But he wanted a magazine about tribal matters rather than something appealing to urban blacks and rapidly fell out with his proprietor. He returned to England, tried mink farming and, for an unusually long time by Crisp standards, worked as a leader-writer on the East Anglian Daily Times. While there he wrote two accounts of his war exploits, Brazen Chariots (1957) and The Gods Were Neutral (1960). Then he suddenly left and lived in a Greek hut for a year. Told he had incurable cancer, he spent a year walking round Crete, selling accounts to the Sunday Express. He died with a copy of the Sporting Life on his lap, reportedly having just lost a £20 bet, a risk-taker to the last. Crisp’s 276 career wickets came at an average of only 19.88, but statistics are absurd for such a man.

Your turn.