• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Indian Domestic Season 2004/2005

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
venx86 said:
Ive been following and writing about domestic cricket for sometime now and I wanted to know why Indians are averse to giving opportunities to overseas players. Do they fear them using it as an experience they could use when their country tours India ? I mean, it is extremely important to have these guys to play with a ranji team coz u can learn many things which u wont in the normal course of the tournament. I think we have opened our doors to foreign teams playing in our domestic tournaments, but its time some foreign players get a chance to play for Indian teams.
The players have to be top stuff, and not reserve Australian players or has-beens and discards of other teams. Top players like Cairns, Klusener and Razzaq should be invited, but it won't really help improve the quality of cricket much. More importantly, the national team starting lineup players should get back to domestic cricket, so that the FC teams have the experience in playing against top-level cricketers. The Waugh brothers still played for NSW. Trescothick still turns out for Somerset.

About the Provinces part, there really is no point. We already have the Duleep Trophy.

The Ranji ODI series needs a restructuring. They can have zonal ODI series, but instead of having the winners from each zone, they have to have the top 6 teams playing in a Super League to determine the winner.

The reason why I suggested an Indian 20-20 was to encouracge positive, attacking cricket. The batsmen have to improve their six-hitting, and the bowlers should know how to bowl to big-hitting batsmen. Change of pace, line, length, as well as field placings will be a key. I even suggested using tennis balls and a high-bounce pitch for this event, to help tearaway fast bowlers. The reason was not just to boost crowds, but to change the way the game is played.

How much do domestic match tickets usually cost?

venx86

Cricket Spectator
In Mumbai its free....and since i know some of the players like Sai, Robin Morris, i get to be wid them that is incase I go for the matches. I think its worth giving a try !

Well...If domestic cricket needs to succeed in India, it needs severe restructuring and committment. It looks as though BCCI is conducting first class matches as a mere routine and the interest is a bit lacking. I guess if the Indians perform badly in Mumbai as well, instead of giving them a "break", they shud order the guys to play for their states before the game against South Africa. I was at the Mumbai vs Australia game in Brabourne and it was shocking to see that there was a pathetic turnout for a good game. I think there needs to be a realization that "Yes. There is a problem." And until one finds the problem, no solution can be sought.

The Duleep Trophy is only going on for the mere reason of historical tradition. Earlier it used to be a matter of pride to represent a zone, but now its just another set of matches. I dont mind us moving/scraping traditions for the betterment of the game in India. I feel the provinces setup would be a better one coz it doesnt distinguish between a Vidharba or a Mumbai, which basically means that if ur good enough to play for ur province ur selected. Duleep Trophy (esp West Zone) team is a Mumbai-Maharashtra dominated team and some of the other talents are ignored.

With regards to the One Day tournament, I agree with you that efforts shud be to get the top 6 teams to play the one day tournament. But what about the others ? Dont u think theyd be neglected ? I am talking of the Bihars and the Tripuras and the Vidharbas ! I guess the Challenger Cup gets a decent audience for the simple reason that there are some India players who turn up. I doubt it if they would be ready to turn in their state colors. I think a day night tournament of any kind should help (Super League/Challenger).

Twenty-20 cannot really be associated with India, although i would really like it to happen here. Lets see how it goes with Australia. They (Australia A)apparently are playing a one off twenty-20 match against Pakistan. I feel the acid test for the success of the Twenty 20 cricket is in Australia. If India can follow suit sooner than later, it could be pushed into international status. But on the whole I feel that India will be a dry spot for Twenty-20. May be they can have a one off one dayer with the Board's President XI or India A against the Touring team ! 8-)

venx86

Cricket Spectator
TN are chokers :P

TN have played well consistently for 2 seasons and it'll be interesting to see if they maintain the same form and consistency this season too. Yes, their batting looks great, but they dont put runs when it matters. I guess some of the TN guys like Badani, Sriram and Dinesh Kartik and Balaji might be called for national duty also and it'll be interesting to see how they adjust to these problems that they'll be faced with. The talent is there, only that they dont score when it matters. Only time will tell if they'll be 3rd time lucky :huh:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
About the Duleep Trophy, it would mean a lot more than tradition, if all the national players played (which is how it should be). You would see five teams full of the best players in India, rather than a large number of teams full of extras who just make up the numbers, and there would be more competition. If there should be more players from Vidharba and Tripura, they have to be among the top 75 players. The bane of Indian domestic cricket is the excess of reservation.

As for teams such as West Zone, you can pick players from Mumbai and Baroda, and a few from other states, but the top fifteen will come mostly from these two teams, though Dhiraj Jadhav and Abhijit Kale (both MAH) and Siddharth Trivedi (Gujarat) are good enough. The same cannot be said of the lot from Saurashtra and Gujarat.

An international entry makes the competition harder, though a better team than that England A side would be preferred- a REAL A-team, that is, and not just learners.

About the ODI tournament, you don't have five teams who just head the zones, but some of whom don't deserve to be in the Super League, but you have the five TOP teams. That way, competition is harder, and teams like Bengal and Railways, who are always out of contention for the national title, have to lift their game. The same can be said for Vidharba and Tripura.

About tennis-ball Twenty20, that is a different concept from what is actually played in England, SL, USA and will be played in SA, and not a direct copy. This should encourage more positive cricket, which you don't find in FC matches- don't you get bored of seeing a batsman play a forward defensive stroke for hours against the spinners? Or spinners repeatedly bowling the same line and length? Or not seeing a tearaway fast bowler? This is not only exciting to watch, but can also change the way the game is played.

Are there any matches held in Mumbai in December?

venx86

Cricket Spectator
Yea Mate...there are only 2 away games Mumbai is playing in its group i think...so more games in Mumbai than outside Mumbai. R u plannin to come ? I wanna see Mumbai vs Delhi...wat a battle in prospect !

Where in Mumbai r ya from mate ?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I am from Chembur, in the North East. I was planning to come in December, since I don't have the time till the 3rd of December.

Is Baroda in the same group? Mumbai v/s baroda will be another match worth a watch.

venx86

Cricket Spectator
Chembur :o ! Great ! I am frm Thane man ! Yeh...i sometimes do go to Wankhede to watch the matches ! Its fun basically !

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
What is your opinion of the Baroda side? With Zaheer, Irfan, Rakesh and one of Irfan Sr. and Shekhar Joshi, and the spinner, they are a very potent bowling side. Their batting is a problem area, though.

venx86

Cricket Spectator
Baroda

I think Baroda had an indifferent season last year by their standards. What I am interested in them though is yes, how their batting performs under some good bowling. Jacob Martin and Connor Williams have not been in the best of touches and looks as though if the batting clicks with the 2 Parabs, Martin and Connor Williams, I think they shud be in some good positions from where they can win matches. I would also like to highlight that some of their experiened players like Tushar Arothe have retired. So it'll be really worth seeing how the young guns take up the challenge. The bowling looks promising, although Rakesh Patel is not the bowler anymore he used to be during the time Baroda were a top team. It will be interesting to see how Rajesh Pawar, a Mumbai discard last year performs. He had a below par season last time around and it will really be intersting to see if he can come up with the goods. Irfan Pathan Sr, not so sure about him, well the key though remains in Rakesh Patel and guys like Ajit Bhoite and Rajesh Pawar. Is Valmik Buch expected to play ?? He's like the senior statesman in the team. I would like to see Baroda raise their game this time around at least to provide some competition to the top teams. I dont see them winning, but yes, they can for sure play the role of spoilers for other teams. :mellow:

Last edited:

NikhilN

International Regular
venx86 said:
Yea Mate...there are only 2 away games Mumbai is playing in its group i think...so more games in Mumbai than outside Mumbai. R u plannin to come ? I wanna see Mumbai vs Delhi...wat a battle in prospect !

Where in Mumbai r ya from mate ?
I cant wait for that game my self...I just wish I will be in mumbai at the time

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Are all the Ranji matches at the same time as international matches? Perhaps a few international players can be released for the Ranji trophy, at least the Baroda pair. Before Irfan returns to the national team, he must play a match for Baroda. A Baroda attack of Irfan, Zaheer, Rakesh and Bhoite, and also Rajesh Pawar will be quite effective, but batting is still a problem.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
venx86 said:
I think Baroda had an indifferent season last year by their standards. What I am interested in them though is yes, how their batting performs under some good bowling. Jacob Martin and Connor Williams have not been in the best of touches and looks as though if the batting clicks with the 2 Parabs, Martin and Connor Williams, I think they shud be in some good positions from where they can win matches. I would also like to highlight that some of their experiened players like Tushar Arothe have retired. So it'll be really worth seeing how the young guns take up the challenge. The bowling looks promising, although Rakesh Patel is not the bowler anymore he used to be during the time Baroda were a top team. It will be interesting to see how Rajesh Pawar, a Mumbai discard last year performs. He had a below par season last time around and it will really be intersting to see if he can come up with the goods. Irfan Pathan Sr, not so sure about him, well the key though remains in Rakesh Patel and guys like Ajit Bhoite and Rajesh Pawar. Is Valmik Buch expected to play ?? He's like the senior statesman in the team. I would like to see Baroda raise their game this time around at least to provide some competition to the top teams. I dont see them winning, but yes, they can for sure play the role of spoilers for other teams. :mellow:
Therev was a young kid named Solanki in Baroda, 2 yrs back. IIRC he was thought of quite highly in the Baroda circles. He played in the semis v Mumbai and seemed quite good

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
viktor said:
Therev was a young kid named Solanki in Baroda, 2 yrs back. IIRC he was thought of quite highly in the Baroda circles. He played in the semis v Mumbai and seemed quite good
That has to be Rakesh Solanki.

venx86

Cricket Spectator
There was a young kid named Solanki in Baroda, 2 yrs back. IIRC he was thought of quite highly in the Baroda circles. He played in the semis v Mumbai and seemed quite good
Anyways...Rakesh Solanki is an Under-19 player who played for India. I think he is a talented player, and I guess it would be interesting to see how he performs in the Ranji. Surely one for the future...but dont think that impressive to really threaten an opposition !! He looks good....only the thing tht he is a player who likes to get on with it and as we saw in the Under-19 World Cup, his wicket were sometimes the turning point of the game (esp against South Africa). Temperamentally has to improve and adjust to Ranji situations.

venx86

Cricket Spectator
Yes...they do clash with the International schedule....but there are some players who will be in show this time around, especially the discards - Agarkar (I havent seen him miss a game for Mumbai when he's out of the Indian team), Chopra may well have to bat for Gambhir whos on National duty, and Parthiv Patel will FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY make his Gujarat debut one feels and Yuvi may have to play for Punjab if he wants to impress the selectors yet again.

I think this time, with the South African tour, then the tour to Bangladesh and with Pakistan coming over to India in Feb, there is a very slight chance for the stars to play for their states. I guess Zaheer has hit form and will stay with India, so Baroda's bowling becomes slightly weaker.

It'll be interesting to see what the end result is man ! I cant wait for the season to kick off ! The Mumbai boys are ready for action, can tell u that with utmost confidece. Spoke to Sairaj Bahutule in the evening, and he looked quietly confident of winning the battle against Railways this time at Delhi. It'll be interesting to see if Ajit is indeed included in the Mumbai squad for the first game. He would anyday make himself available to play for Mumbai (that shows committment to Mumbai cricket).