• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

bowling quicker

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
I am probably in the same boat as the person who started this thread, expect I am generally relying on accuracy more than anything.

But the thing I struggle with is how to swing the ball at all, it seems to just swing a bit anyway naturally, but I want to learn to swing it more.

Any help?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
SirBloody Idiot said:
I am probably in the same boat as the person who started this thread, expect I am generally relying on accuracy more than anything.

But the thing I struggle with is how to swing the ball at all, it seems to just swing a bit anyway naturally, but I want to learn to swing it more.

Any help?
What do you want to bowl ? Inswing or out ?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SirBloody Idiot said:

Any help?
Err - not really - swing is just something that comes naturally. No-one can really explain it.
All we know is that you need to hold the seam as straight as possible - and if it's not brand-new, hold the shiny side in the opposite direction you want to swing it.
But if you're doing that and it's still not swinging - not much you can do.
Fortunately for me that's the one thing I've never had a problem with. :D Can't bowl cutters, hit the spot I'm aiming at 4 times out of 6 at the absolute most, bowl in the mid-60s (mph) at my quickest with a normal action, but I can swing the ball away from the right-handers - and I can vary the amount too.