cricket betting betway blog banner small
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By andmark
  • 3 Post By Neil Pickup

Thread: Learning to play Cricket

Cricket Spectator

Learning to play Cricket

Right.

Iíve never had the opportunity to play cricket, but Iíd like to.

So I looked up some local cricket clubs, and found a few. But I canít find any information about starting or learning as an adult; everything seems to be set up for children and experienced adults.

If I go down to one of these cricket clubs will they be able provide coaching for an adult beginner?

I was hoping you lot could give me some advice

(A bit about myself: Iím in my 20ís, am fit, have played other sports to a reasonably high level, live in England)

Thanks

Clubs are always looking for new members, so they'd have you very happily. The teams often have a system of first elevens, second elevens etc with the (in this case) second elevens being less capable than the firsts, whilst if there's a third eleven, they'll be less capable than the other two. Some teams even play Sunday friendly matches where you'll get a mixture of adults and children playing with mixed abilities. These occasions can be so friendly that my disabled brother opened the batting in one match. The result is that you should be able to get into a team at adult beginner level by playing in one of the lower elevens and there'll be coaching during the week so you'll be able to learn the skills.
    zorax, Bijed and nicegoat like this.
    And come what may we're unstoppable
    'cause we know just what we are
    Yeah we know just what we are
    - Oasis, "Stay Young"

Cricket Web Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Having captained my club’s 3rd XI for the last couple of years, there are points in the season where the selection policy becomes a case of pressganging the parents of your promising juniors, regardless of whether they have ever played before. I had a game this summer with eight junior players, five debuts for the club, two 12-year-olds opening the bowling and an entire XI with senior experience put together than I had... and I’ve only been playing for the club three seasons myself!

Echoing Mark’s point, a good club is much more than its 1st XI or its AllStars, it will find a place for everyone; yes, there will be some characters who might turn up their nose at a new recruit, but for every one of them there will be plenty more who’ll see you right.
    Bijed, nicegoat and andmark like this.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Wild Neil Pickup appears

SLA
    Cricket Spectator
    There WILL be suitable clubs around, but it might not be immediately apparent which they are. Some clubs might offer some limited free coaching, others might offer games at a very low standard that would be suitable for a beginner. These might not be the same places.

TBH, I wouldn't worry about coaching initially. Just watch a few games until you feel like you know the rules, and then find a club that offers the absolute lowest standard of cricket you can find, and just play a few games, and get stuck into the fielding and learning the tactics and nuances of the game. You'll probably get an occasional bat, and if you've got decent hand-eye, you'll probably do ok.

After a season, maybe think about paying for a couple of coaching sessions - you'll get far more out of it having had a bit of a go first.

Cricket Spectator
    Thank you for your advice

Cricket Spectator
    If you want to make a career in cricket then I would suggest you join an institute.

Thread Information