• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top edge

pppropertypaul

Cricket Spectator
Hi

Totally new here hope I am in the correct place for this question.

I am consistently top edging the cut shot, not so bad on the pull, so I am a ball and half the bat too low obviously.
I do it so often that it has to be a technique issue.
I do play on a bouncy surface but never the less it is frustrating.
Can anyone help please.

Paul

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Used to have a similar problem in school. Assuming power isn't a problem (in which case you could train more and switch to a lighter bat maybe), you could try getting your eyes more on top of the ball while playing that shot. Gives a better lateral perception of how high the ball is. Try to avoid playing the shot sitting on your haunches or rooted at the crease and swinging the bat.

pppropertypaul

Cricket Spectator
Thank you what do you mean getting your eyes more on top of the ball, I do try and get on the back foot I have wondered whether I do not stand up straight enough on the back foot.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, stand up as high as required to get on top of the ball well. Obviously playing the cut shot against spinners can sometimes require you to be quite low.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Without footage it's hard to give you any specific advice, but one thing that might be worth keeping in mind is the movement of your back foot.

It's something I picked up while throwing balls to my dad yesterday -- on the cut, his back foot was going back and towards the leg side, rather than straight back (or back and towards the ball when cutting from wider outside off). It meant that his head wasn't in line with the ball (and was moving/misaligned/all those great things), he couldn't transfer any weight into the shot (so no power), and he'd be feeling for it with his hands a long way from his body. His technique and method of playing the shot meant he was more 'chopping' the ball straight down towards short cover (closes the face and hits down very early), but for other batsmen I could definitely see top edges as a result.

That being said, I've never been able to play a convincing cut shot, so I'm probably not the world's greatest expert on this.