• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Increasing hand speed for batting

Riggins

International Captain
post a grainy iphone video of you throwing your hands through a wide one.

generally i would advise against looking to increase hand speed. it's usually either a natural thing or it'll hurt.

Riggins

International Captain
Always hard to tell what's going on when you're throwing, hitting and filming yourself, but good effort.

Your hand speed looks fine, the only thing is the back lift looks quite short, and not much of a wrist-****. Coming a little higher, so that they start their down swing a bit above halfway between your waist and shoulders should give you a bit more length of swing which should give you a bit extra speed. ****ing your wrists back lets you throw your hands through the ball a bit more which generates a bit of speed on impact, try and keep them ****ed for as long as you can and really explode them on impact.

The other thing which good players do which gives the illusion of faster hands is hitting the ball later. It also (usually) results in hitting the ball a bit more downwards, which can generate a bit of over spin or just get it straight into the harder wicket and race away.

**If you're looking to add more of a wrist ****/higher backswing just be aware that it will take time to adjust to, the bat often comes through earlier (even though its longer distance) which means you start hitting balls catch high at the start. With practice you should adjust to this pretty quickly, but just be aware it's not necessarily a problem if it happens at the start. (Don't do it for the first time in a game)

Slips catching drills where you are the hitter and lassoo balls to gully is a good way to practice throwing your hands nice and late. (Fast throws, try and really nail the catches)

sjg2797

Cricket Spectator
I usually have my back lift up round my ears, but I kept catching stick from coaches telling me I'm late on my shots because my back lift is to high. I dropped it and ended up being early on shots I used to be good at and losing all the power in the shots

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You can have a back lift as high as the moon as long as you have the wrist **** which counteracts it. Watch some footage of Brian Lara who has a massive back lift but a pronounced wrist ****. That's what generates your speed.