• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

what's the difference between cricket bats?

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
Hi guys,

As we don’t have cricket shops in Belgium and most cricket bats producers refer to their website, I just post my question here.

GM, Gray Nicolls and Kookaburra have 4 subcategories in their cricket bat range:

GM: Icon DMX, Hero DXM, and Catalyst, Purist II
Gray Nicolls: Xiphos, Ignite, Nitro & Powerbow
Kookaburra: Kahuna, Blade, Beast, Ice

Would somebody be able to explain me the difference between the sub categories, as my next bat might be a GM, Gray Nicolls or Kookaburra.

pako007

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
the guys on the forum react quite slowly, i know something about kookaburra. it`s all about the middle of the bat. Kahuna has got a quite high middle, Beast categorie has got a low middle. ice bat is the most balanced of the versions. and blade risk or something like that is quite ****ty as far as i know.
hopes this answers your question a bit.

pako007

hey you play in cricket leaugue in Belgium ?? which division? do you know Sunny Sheraz Aka Sohail Sheraz /?

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
Hi,

I play for Mechelen cricket Club, we play in first division and yes I do kno Sunny. He plays for ostend now, but sometimes he comes over to join us for a friendly or intraclub game. As he used to play for our team as well. For the moment I'm just playing friendlies for my team as our starting XI consists of 4 players who play for the national team, 2 guys who played for the national team and 5 well expierenced players.

Do you also know Mohinder? He also plays for our national team and Ostend cricket club.

pako007

No, i don`t know mohinder but there was a development team that came to play a friendly against us. i remember some guys from that team. Sunny, i played against him with my youth team he then played for antwerp indians. i remember that bowler Watambwa, the keeper Shehriyar Butt. the captain was richard or something like that. they also had a left arm bowler he was asian as i think he was pretty young.

cheers.

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
Brighton Watamba plays for Royal Brussels and Shery ( Shehriyar Butt) plays for my team. Shery is an awesome guy and a good friend of mine. If you played them recently ( this season) there is a chance you played against our national team. As all of them do.

Was the coach by any chance Fassil, a West Indies guy?

Maybe we can do our small talk via msn or pm and try to involve more people in the original topic so I get more anwsers on my question :cool:

kevinpietersen

School Boy/Girl Captain
All the sub categories are just different models. Have a look at different websites and compare what differences are between them. For example the Hero and Icon. The Icon has a very high middle good for faster older bowlers. The Hero has a very low middle good for slower bowlers like colts (young players)

kevinpietersen

School Boy/Girl Captain
I chose the GM Icon Original L.E but as I am still using Junior bats 4,5,6,H I want to check the pickup and weight of the bat but I can't do that if i get it from a Online Dealer.

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
I know what you mean, I whish you all the best with it. Maybe consider a roadtrip, always fun.

I have put the GM 808 Purist and 808 catalyst on my to check list. A friend of mine who sticks with GM for life told me both bats have a very light pick up and are light in general.

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
That's the kind of bat I'm searching for.
The habit of going for a light bat is still something that dates from my Tennis/ squash period.
As I'm tall my reflects aren't that fast, so a light bat gives me the opportunity to play some last minute tricky shots.

Also tried heavier bats, but they make my gameplay slow.

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
I was thinking of doing so, but first check some bats and their weights in a shop.
As we work with KG etc... I have no idea how to convert LB OZ

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
Cool, will give that a shot.
Cricket in Belgium starts growing slightly every day, we don't have any cricket stores here.
There is/are some in the Netherlands but Iprefer doing my purchase in the UK.

As well I prefer a company that has a huge offer of bats, as JJB is rather limited on what I saw on their site.

kevinpietersen

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yep I visit there stores in plymouth quite often. They do quite good cricket kit apart from bats they have about 8 bats of which are all crappy slazenger.