• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

My new bat!!! +I really need help!!!

slowfinger

International Debutant
Hey guys I haven't been on for a while and I'm playing for my Local club, I normally bat 3 for open for school and for bat in club I bat all over the place, I like 4 or 3 or the top 4 basically.

My Style of batting:

Well if you want me to bat in there and not get out e.g bat out 15/20 overs before tea or something I can do that easy but I rarely get runs I normally defend every ball.

But if you want me to score lots of runs i get more agressive e.g. Asking for Middle and Leg and I try to pick of any bad ball, my main shot is the sweep about 12-15 runs if I ever get 50 runs.

Thats My problem , I never get more than 20 before I get out but they think I play well for my 20/whatever so the keep me there and I really like leg side, hate front foot play.

I will need help with that and one more thing...

I'm looking for a strokemaking/not agressive but swift elegant bat but about grade 1/ish and very light I want good pickup if its onlline tell me the site and tell me YOUR opinion :). and I've been looking for a while and what I've found so far is Kookaburra Kahuna or Puma Iridium.

If you see anything else that might suit me please tell :P I need to know.

I hope you guys help thanks!!

Last edited:

King Pietersen

International Captain
Gunn and Moore Icon 909 DXM. Such an awesome bat, loving mine. Awesome pick-up, thick edges, and a great middle. Perfect for my game.

slowfinger

International Debutant
What is your game, I need it to be suitable for 20/20 and 35/ over games.

Not a bad choice, I was about to go for GM Purist 11 5 star?? or LE

King Pietersen

International Captain
I play 40 over Club cricket. I'm quite wristy, and like to flick the ball away on the leg-side, I also like to drive, especially straight down the ground. Gone are the days where I tried to bat like Kevin Pietersen :P I've recently been watching alot of Sachin Tendulkar and Ravi Bopara and been taking tips from their games. The Icon suits my game perfectly, it's nice and light (2lb 8 1/2oz) has a superb pick-up, but there's so much wood in the blade it's unreal. I hit a pull shot off a full toss at the weekend, it came off near the top of the blade but still raced for four. Cracking piece of wood, the GM's this year are excellent, everyone I've seen with one has been incredibly complimentary of them, the Icon especially.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Looks good , but the Purist also looks very good imo, I guess Im going to have a look at the shop to be honest and then pick oneout.
The HERO/CATALIST doesnt appeal to me at all but I'll have to see.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Looked at a shop yesterday, selling loads of woodworms, I had a look, Harddrive and Flame Alpha (Woodworms new bat) wasnt really appealing to me, but then I found MegaBite Gold, and It was very, very light for a bat that big, had an outstanding middle and decent toe etc, so I went for it and its looking nice. :)

Wait for a year and if it is no good I'll scrap it, but its promise is awesome.

King Pietersen

International Captain
I bought a Woodworm Gold Hard-Drive early last season, knocked it in for quite a while, but half way through Winter Nets this season it had loads of tiny cracks on it. There was a big crack in the toe and the edges were cracked, they're shocking bats tbh. Hopefully you'll have got a good one, but I wouldn't hold my breath, should have gone for a company that make the bats themselves and don't go for style over quality of willow.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Hehe I'e been knocking my bat in for ages about 2/1-half hoursand its already pre prepared.

I saw the Hard-drive its middle was pretty good but the rest was just horrible.
The new woodworm was pretty secent but it was too heavy :laugh: but tbf it was well better than harddrive.
The MegaBite was really good for a bat of that weight the first one I saw had a big sort of bad piece of wood in the blade so we got a better one and tbh it felt good.
When I knock it in thiugh it kinda cripples(well, not cripples but sorta bumpy) but that is only the edges and toe but if I knock it in a bit more it'll be fine
It is looking good though if it isnt really what it was worth it can be scrapped.

slowfinger

International Debutant
And btw the company I got it from said they bought Woodworm because it was going bust and all but we could see all their unfinished bats etc.

The shop was thesportshq I'm sure they have some ads of selling woodworms.

SportsHorizons

Cricket Spectator
what bat did you end up buying?

the first thing you need to do when buying a cricket bat is, decide on how much you want to spend on the bat. then you can pick up as many of the bats as you can, to decide as to what weight and pick up you are looking for.

every bat has a different weight and pick up. some of the brands tell you that a particular bat is made with a certain pick up in mind, but every bat is different. you need to pick up a few bats before you can make a decent choice.

from what you said about the Woodworm being light for a big profile, tells me a few things. the bat might be old, which means the moisture is low in the bat. or the bat is light because the manufacturer had to dry the bat out more, to get to the lighter weight. if the bat has been made within the last few months, then a light big profiled bat could tell you that the bat is a really good quality.

how many times have you oiled the bat?