• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

My Year Off

pinogaffa

Cricket Spectator
Hello All,

I am soon to be relocating to a non-cricketing region of a non-cricketing country. I will be out there for a year and although practising cricket will be hard (and playing probably impossible) I'm keen too keep my skills up and be in good condition for when I return, raring to go for the next UK season.

Having read Ian Pont's book on fast bowling, I have realised there is plenty for me to work on in my cricket regarding both my bowling action and my physical condition. The reason I have posted this thread however, is to pick the cricketing brains out there of those who have commented or considered commenting on the wide variety of coach techniques mentioned in these forums.

My broad theory is to use my year away as a sort of training camp (a very long one at that!) where I can get myself in to the best physical shape to bowl when I return.

I would be delighted to hear any ideas you guys might have on how I could approach the coming year as I am sure it is not a common situation for cricketers and therefore could be a very interesting experiment!

Best Regards
Pino

micoach

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
In terms of fitness, you can spend a year building up towards cricket specific strength, power and speed. You can do this best with a periodised approach.

So for example you might spend 12 weeks building up a base of general fitness, then switch to more strength based training aiming to go in the gym and put as much weight on the bar as you can in 12-16 weeks.

Then you could move to more speed and power based training to give yourself the best chance of bowling fast.

As you get closer to playing again you can make the training more specific: single limb training, running between the wickets (simulated), agility work and the like.