• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

how do i stop this happening when i bat?

kuranui

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
i just had my final game of the season today, so its not the most important thing ever. But i got out second ball because i defended the ball and it went straight up and got caught. any ideas on what i could have done wrong there, because i noticed that this was happening even when i was getting throw downs

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
i just had my final game of the season today, so its not the most important thing ever. But i got out second ball because i defended the ball and it went straight up and got caught. any ideas on what i could have done wrong there, because i noticed that this was happening even when i was getting throw downs
You have written nothing as to what was being bowled, whether you were playing back or forward, where you were caught etc

kuranui

You have written nothing as to what was being bowled, whether you were playing back or forward, where you were caught etc
ok my bad, i was a bit tight on the details. it was medium pace on off stump, i played the foward defence, and was caught at cover

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
ok my bad, i was a bit tight on the details. it was medium pace on off stump, i played the foward defence, and was caught at cover
The first thing that comes to mind is that you played early which mostly means that the ball came slower than you expected.

It can also be because you played at the ball instead of letting the ball come and hit a bat held with soft hands with the blade slightly inclined (handle part further ahead than the toe part) If you do that the ball, after hitting the bat will go towards the ground due to the angle of the bat.

Another possibility is that you played forward and the ball was shorter in length which can make it take the top of the bat or, more likely you may, when by instinct you realise you have erred in judgement, jabbed at the ball.

Another possibilty is that the ball was moving away (towards slips) and you were playing slightyly across the line with the bat face turned towards on side. This could have made you get what is called a leading edge which will take the ball towards covers.

kuranui

The first thing that comes to mind is that you played early which mostly means that the ball came slower than you expected.

It can also be because you played at the ball instead of letting the ball come and hit a bat held with soft hands with the blade slightly inclined (handle part further ahead than the toe part) If you do that the ball, after hitting the bat will go towards the ground due to the angle of the bat.

Another possibility is that you played forward and the ball was shorter in length which can make it take the top of the bat or, more likely you may, when by instinct you realise you have erred in judgement, jabbed at the ball.

Another possibilty is that the ball was moving away (towards slips) and you were playing slightyly across the line with the bat face turned towards on side. This could have made you get what is called a leading edge which will take the ball towards covers.

Your idea of me playing at the ball instead of waiting for the ball to come on to the bat sounds the most likely

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Your idea of me playing at the ball instead of waiting for the ball to come on to the bat sounds the most likely
Good. Now you need to go to the nets and work at it. Get your left foot close to the ball and head right over the ball with the right hands fingers holding the handle back a bit so as to have the bat angled. (I am assuming you are a right hander)

kuranui

Good. Now you need to go to the nets and work at it. Get your left foot close to the ball and head right over the ball with the right hands fingers holding the handle back a bit so as to have the bat angled. (I am assuming you are a right hander)
sweet as, ill try and get a net session tomorrow. Thanks

jathu

I have the same problem. But the root of my problem is that I don't lead with my left shoulder. So I don't play many cover drives.

kuranui

I have the same problem. But the root of my problem is that I don't lead with my left shoulder. So I don't play many cover drives.
my coach says i have absolute perfect timing when i get a ball coming at my body or down leg side, bu whenever i get bowled something thats just a little bit away from my body on the off side it gets ugly. maybe im the same

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
It could well be that you are not getting to the pitch of the ball, or that you are playing too hard at it with your bottom hand taking over.

One thing you could try is getting someone to give you throw-downs where you only use your left (top) hand, just to get used to the feel of your top hand dominating. Try 20 or 30, then hold the bat with two hands but just using your fingers of your bottom hand very lightly to steady the bat.

It might sound strange, but I had a similar problem when I was a kid (over 40 years ago) and I never forgot what the coach (Edwin Smith) told me.

kuranui

It could well be that you are not getting to the pitch of the ball, or that you are playing too hard at it with your bottom hand taking over.

One thing you could try is getting someone to give you throw-downs where you only use your left (top) hand, just to get used to the feel of your top hand dominating. Try 20 or 30, then hold the bat with two hands but just using your fingers of your bottom hand very lightly to steady the bat.

It might sound strange, but I had a similar problem when I was a kid (over 40 years ago) and I never forgot what the coach (Edwin Smith) told me.

you just reminded me off something my coach told me about that and my batting. i think he told me to hold the bat with my bottom hand with only 2 fingers and my thumb. thanks for jogging my memory

jathu

My coach, Solli Chotia, told me to get rid of my problem that I should go to the nets,place a few balls in a line just outside off stump on a good length and play my cover drive.Hitting each ball towards cover region.

kuranui

My coach, Solli Chotia, told me to get rid of my problem that I should go to the nets,place a few balls in a line just outside off stump on a good length and play my cover drive.Hitting each ball towards cover region.
thats not too bad of an idea