• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Archived [19/01/09] Battrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Two early wickets falling this morning, which effectively scuppers any chance I had of getting more than 2 batting points.

End of Over 93 (Maiden). The Heath CC: 240-7, runrate=2.58
Lead by 190 runs. (Essex Eagles 50-10)
Al 27-7-57-3
Nolan* 0 (7 balls)
Talbot 28 (74 balls)

Last Wicket: Marrison b. Antrobus 0 (FOW: 238/7)

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
What happens when you don't set a declare target:

Code:
End of Over 180 (9 runs). [B]Marxistene: 1219-3,[/B] runrate=6.77  
Cristoper 33-0-221-0 
Gamage* 43 (24 balls) 
Udawela 578 (553 balls)

Last Wicket: Ziyardeen c. Anada b. Tennakoon 174 (FOW: 1163/3)
Thats a side in my league, so a good result for me so far.
i guess you just keep batting!

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
What happens when you don't set a declare target:

Code:
End of Over 180 (9 runs). [B]Marxistene: 1219-3,[/B] runrate=6.77  
Cristoper 33-0-221-0 
Gamage* 43 (24 balls) 
Udawela 578 (553 balls)

Last Wicket: Ziyardeen c. Anada b. Tennakoon 174 (FOW: 1163/3)
Thats a side in my league, so a good result for me so far.
Ended up getting out for 650:

Code:
End of Over 204 (4 runs). Marxistene: 1391-5, runrate=6.82  
Cristoper 40-0-245-1 
Ralph* 62 (48 balls) 
Tindall 14 (10 balls)

Last Wicket: [B]Udawela c & b. Cristoper 650[/B] (FOW: 1373/5)
Hopefully they bat out the rest of day and a bit of tomorrow. The side they are playing the Roosters have an SL U19 hopeful and nothing else. So he might get rolled twice in a day.

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Getting to the stage now where I'm tempted to cheer every run (and most of them are coming as extras), but the tailenders are hanging around and we're getting closer and closer to the all important 280.

End of Over 106 (3 runs). The Heath CC: 266-8, runrate=2.51
Lead by 216 runs. (Essex Eagles 50-10)
Poole 9-1-36-0
Talbot* 37 (112 balls)
Hardy 3 (15 balls)

Last Wicket: Nolan b. Murray 8 (FOW: 254/8)

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
Getting to the stage now where I'm tempted to cheer every run (and most of them are coming as extras), but the tailenders are hanging around and we're getting closer and closer to the all important 280.

End of Over 106 (3 runs). The Heath CC: 266-8, runrate=2.51
Lead by 216 runs. (Essex Eagles 50-10)
Poole 9-1-36-0
Talbot* 37 (112 balls)
Hardy 3 (15 balls)

keep going buddy. fight hard.

i am liking the fc format!

Dead Badger

State 12th Man
Oleary just picked off my opponent's last decent batsman with their 2nd innings lead at 46. If I were to leap wildly to conclusions on the basis of one match (and I'd be no kind of evil scientist if I didn't), I'd say it looks like M/FM bowlers on a green pitch in cloudy conditions are extremely good in the morning (like, even more so than usual). Oleary/Pead completely caned 'em yesterday morning, yet seemed strangely impotent when their openers came back in the afternoon. This morning, they're knocking 'em dead again. Could be the morning PFL update though, I s'pose.

End of Over 43 (Maiden). Amager County: 116-4, runrate=2.70 (1st Inn: 56-10)
Lead by 46 runs. (Beard XI 126-10)
Oleary 11-1-26-1
Lambert* 6 (18 balls)
Beechers 0 (3 balls)

nibbs

International Captain
Stumps on Day 1

Whenuapai 510/3
Morrison 263*
Hamshaw 123*
Fry 93
Janes 5
Duggan 1, ffs

I'll let Morrison push on for his 300, so I'll set the declaration target at 600. Shouldn't receive too much resistance from Kumeu.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I hate FC, watching a lot of other matches and i'm not sold yet. If SP wins his game I might change my opinion. Decent comeback so far (triggers BT collaspe).

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
My tail are putting up a great fight, and Talbot (Comp/Abys) is doing brilliantly at keeping the score ticking over. He just brought up his 50 with a six, which was a nice surprise. First boundary in ages...

The players are off the field for lunch.

End of Over 117 (1 runs). The Heath CC: 299-8, runrate=2.56
Lead by 249 runs. (Essex Eagles 50-10)
Al 29-7-59-3
Hardy* 16 (45 balls)
Talbot 55 (149 balls)

Hardy is only a woe/woe batsman, so he's doing a great job.

Edit: Arse. All out for 300. Hardy unbeaten on 17.

Last edited:

Dead Badger

State 12th Man
6-fer for Oleary to go with his four or five in the first innings, including two double-wicket maidens. Should be chasing no more than 60 at this rate, so unlikely to make it into a third day.

Looks like we'll see a sudden increase in the use of batting pitches then, cos there's no way 2-day matches are going to match up to the old FC subsidy for most teams. Does anyone know if pitch changes ordered mid-FC match apply to the ongoing match? That could be interesting (and more than a little bit weird).

Edit: 7-fer and they're all out:

End of Over 57 (Maiden). Amager County: 128-10, runrate=2.25 (1st Inn: 56-10)
Lead by 58 runs. (Beard XI 126-10)
Oleary 17-5-28-7

I believe that gives Oleary a first-class average of about 3 or so, and against a pretty good batting lineup, too. :D

Last edited:

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
Withington 1st innings: 251/10
Berties Boys 1st innings: 125/10

2nd innings, and I'm currently 58/1 from 25 overs. Perry and McGregor saw off the new ball nicely, with the former being run out a few overs ago. Hopefully I'll knock up 300 by the close of play and have all day tomorrow to bowl them out.

Ideally, I'd have been more aggressive with my second innings declaration, but I have no idea how much the pitch deteriorates on the final day.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Looks like we'll see a sudden increase in the use of batting pitches then, cos there's no way 2-day matches are going to match up to the old FC subsidy for most teams.
I'd say you're wrong, unless you're **** or in a tough league I'd say you'll be better off. My match only lasted 2 days, got 6k and 7k into the ground each day and notched basically exactly the subsidy. Once I build some morale I'll rake that **** in, easy as pie.

Dead Badger

State 12th Man
I'd say you're wrong, unless you're **** or in a tough league I'd say you'll be better off. My match only lasted 2 days, got 6k and 7k into the ground each day and notched basically exactly the subsidy. Once I build some morale I'll rake that **** in, easy as pie.
I'm a decent to high England Div V side, so probably at the top of the bottom third of BT teams or thereabouts (if you see what I mean). I'm pretty sure I've reached the soft cap for div V members, at any rate, since despite winning much more than I used to, they're climbing much more slowly. If this week's match is a guide, I'll beat the subsidy by about 10k over two weeks with 3-day matches, and lose out to the tune of about 30k with a 2-dayer. So I'm more or less at the equivalence point, but there'll be a lot of people who aren't (not "most", granted, but a lot). What you guys might have to remember is that the teams on here are typically quite a lot older and waaaay better than average.

Regardless of the break-even point with respect to the FC subsidy, it's clearly in everyone's interests to have three days' play, crap team or not. Assuming you can take the PFL hit, who wouldn't choose to increase their revenues by 50%? I'll be amazed if we don't see a wholesale move to flatter pitches as a result, since evenly-matched games on bowling pitches seem to be over rather quickly.

We should be pleased, of course; Battrick is starting to reflect real life! :)

Just won my first match, anyway. Slightly bizarrely, Bromby hit the winning runs, and then nobody bowled a ball to nobody in the next over before the game ended:

Code:
And that's the end of the match. Beard XI won by 9 wickets.

33.4	.	to 
 	 	Good length fullish ball angling away just outside off stump, shuffles well forward before shouldering arms.

End of Over 18 (4 runs). Beard XI: 60-1, runrate=3.33 (1st Inn: 126-10)
Lead by 2 runs. (Amager County 56-10 & 128-10)
Smyth	9-1-27-1
Bromby*	26 (55 balls)
Janes	27 (34 balls)
Last Wicket: Platt b. Smyth 3 (FOW: 17/1)

17.6	3	Smyth to Bromby
 	 	A nice shot by Bromby into the vacant outfield, Bristow chases hard and hauls it in just before the rope as the batsmen run three.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The reason those types of matches are over quickly is cus the batsmen might not have the ability to play long innings against decent bowlers near their ability. Even if you made the pitches flatter they will probably still get out for low scores. I say its more to do with the batsmen, then the pitches.

Dead Badger

State 12th Man
Well, maybe, but there's no way everyone can make their batsmen better overnight, whereas making the pitches easier costs nothing and is virtually instant. Sure, you might see a move back towards gun batsmen in the long term (as opposed to the uber-bowler + batting depth model that seems to work best in OD), but changing the pitch clearly has some effect in the short term.

Right now it doesn't really matter what the basic cause of unnaturally short games is, it matters what people can do about it, and that's going to be a big shift in pitch choices. Whatever you think about FC, it's certainly given us a whole lot more to think about...

Dead Badger

State 12th Man
Whatchootalkinbout, Willis? Summers has conceded one whole run for a measly three wickets. That's a BT-shafting if ever I saw one. Allan should be ashamed. :D

Bobisback

International Regular
Whatchootalkinbout, Willis? Summers has conceded one whole run for a measly three wickets. That's a BT-shafting if ever I saw one. Allan should be ashamed. :D
Time for Summers to be fired imo, those sort of figures can not, and shall not, be tolerated!

Status
Not open for further replies.