• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Archived [19/01/09] Battrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
my boys thankfully held out for a draw however did decide to give me a little heart attack late in the day with a sporting decleration with the other team not needing too many.,.maybe the skipper was just playing with the opposition...

The Summary

1st Innings

Caves beach Ao - 302

Longthorn 82
Tyler 55

TimeLords 3 - dec 611

Morrell 184*
Jackson 126*

2nd Innings

Caves beach 9 dec - 409

Skipper 126
Jongikhaya 101*

Time lords 0 - 30

Draw.....

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Finally... Lost by an innings and 702 runs. Supporters are really glad that they travelled the length of the country to Yorkshire to watch such an inspired performance by The Heath.

Now let us never speak of this again.

Olwe

School Boy/Girl Captain
i have just won by an innings and 1464 runs but though it was against a bot side

Players playing for bot sides are all in worthless form and are drained (so they effectively bowl a load of dross and are too tired to swing the bat when the ball is homing in on their stumps) which is why you can rack up a huge score and then bowl them out for next to nothing.
even tough i still think it is (for me ) a huge achivment and my team will grow confedence even ough the avridge rating in my team is just over 3.00
and my kepper has keeping of feeble and batting of woeful. and i am not sure if i have to replace him from either buying a new kepper or getting one from the YA (which at the moment i am putting £4,000 a week in and have 10pts or if i should have coachs on him every week i currently have 1 kepper coach and a batting coach.

Huw Soares (1562569)
LH Batsman, LF Bowler, proficient batting form, mediocre bowling form, sublime
An attacking player with strong leadership skills and worthless experience
Stamina: mediocre Wicket Keeping: feeble
Batting: woeful Concentration: woeful
Bowling: abysmal Consistency: mediocre
Fielding: woeful

what should i do?

Dead Badger

State 12th Man
Having made the overnight declaration, their second innings is going much like their first: one early wicket, barely any runs, but they're seeing off Oleary and Pead for the most part.

End of Over 15 (Maiden). KFC Select XI: 17-1, runrate=1.13 (1st Inn: 356-10)
Lead by 40 runs. (Beard XI 333-4 dec)
Oleary 8-6-2-1
Bunn* 9 (43 balls)
Greene 5 (25 balls)

Also just noticed that in a fortnight I start a run of four matches in which I play all of my competitors for the top three places in FC and OD, consecutively. International cricket's burnout problems surface in BT!

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
First of all, I'd recommend not investing any money in your academy just yet - it's a bit of a gamble and one that is best not to try until you're financially secure. I've been playing BT since the beginning of last season and haven't invested any money in it yet.

Just having a look at your squad now, and you have a couple of 17 year olds - Naysmith and Sansome. What are their skills like? You need to be training 17 year olds really, as they improve their primary skills (batting, bowling or wicket keeping) faster than older players. If you post those two players here, people will be able to advise you as to if they're worth training, and if so, what nets you should give them.

You should always get young players in, and then decide what nets to give them, rather than just hiring a mixture of coaches and trying to find players who'll fit in with them.

As for Soares, he's not great but he'll do for now until you can get a replacement. He's certainly not worth training though, especially as he's 21. I've just had a look on the transfer market and there are no affordable 17 year old wicket keepers that you could buy at the moment, so you have 2 options:

1) Look for an older (and therefore cheaper) wicket keeper who has mediocre stamina, mediocre/competent wicket keeping and preferably some batting ability as well. You could then buy him as a stopgap for your side until a better prospect comes along.

2) Keep playing Soares for now and check the transfer market regularly for any 17 year old wicket keepers who have mediocre stamina, batting and wicket keeping. You should be able to get one of these players for not much money fairly soon. You can then start training him up and he'll become a good player for you in 1 or 2 seasons time.

Battrick is a long-term game - your team aren't going to become invincible overnight, but with some good trainees and a sound training plan, your side will steadily improve.

Olwe

School Boy/Girl Captain
are these player worth training and if they are in what areas should i aim to trian them in,
these are my 17 and (my better by far) 18 year olds in my team?

Liam Naysmith - 17 yo, BT Rating=6,216
RH Batsman, RM Bowler, superb batting form, proficient bowling form, invigorated
A defensive player with feeble leadership skills and abysmal experience.
Stamina: mediocre Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: mediocre Concentration: feeble
Bowling: woeful Consistency: worthless
Fielding: respectable

Gordon Sansome - 17 yo, BT Rating=3,641
RH Batsman, RFM Bowler, respectable batting form, woeful bowling form, sublime
A cautious player with strong leadership skills and abysmal experience.
Stamina: worthless Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: feeble Concentration: woeful
Bowling: worthless Consistency: worthless

Matthew Drew - 18 yo, BT Rating=2,054
LH Batsman, LH Spin Bowler, competent batting form, abysmal bowling form, energetic
An attacking player with woeful leadership skills and worthless experience.
Batting: worthless Concentration: worthless
Bowling: respectable Consistency: worthless
Fielding: worthless

Bryan Queque - 18 yo, BT Rating=4,069
LH Batsman, LH Spin Bowler, mediocre batting form, competent bowling form, sublime
A defensive player with proficient leadership skills and worthless experience.
Stamina: abysmal Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: woeful Concentration: respectable
Bowling: abysmal Consistency: abysmal
Fielding: mediocre

and thank you for the advise

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
are these player worth training and if they are in what areas should i aim to trian them in,

RH Batsman, RM Bowler, superb batting form, proficient bowling form, invigorated

LH Batsman, LH Spin Bowler, competent batting form, abysmal bowling form, energetic

LH Batsman, LH Spin Bowler, mediocre batting form, competent bowling form, sublime

Naysmith is worth training, I'd put him on two batting nets and 1 stamina net. The other three aren't worth training as their stamina is too low - it's not really worth training anyone who has less than feeble stamina as it takes too long to get them up to a level where they're going to be able to play regularly.

Players like Drew may look like a good signing because of his good bowling skills, but that counts for very little when you take into account his worthless stamina and worthless consistency (you might want to think of it as though he might bowl fast, but he won't be able to get it on the pitch and he'll only have enough energy to bowl for a few balls).

If you go to the transfer market, look for 17 year old players who have mediocre stamina and then if you're looking for a batsman to train - mediocre batting and concentration. If you're looking for a bowler, look for a 17 year old with mediocre stamina, bowling and consistency. Don't pay more than £10,000 for them - if the bidding goes higher than that, be patient and wait for another player to bid on.

When you're looking for players, have a look at their wages as well, as you can tell from their wages how close they are to going up a level (known as 'popping'). If you sign a med/med/med with a wage of close to £400, he ought to pop to competent batting/bowling within a week or two of training. For more information on this, go to Community - Links, and then go to Battrick Helpfile (keggut) - there is loads of information on there that will help you, so have a read of that.

Once you've signed another three 17 year olds to go along with Naysmith, post them up here and I'll give you some more advice if you like. Otherwise feel free to PM me here or on Battrick.

To other BT-ers - if you spot any glaring mistakes in what I say, or if you feel like you're more equipped to advise, please step in - I won't be offended!

Dead Badger

State 12th Man
Only Naysmith is even worth thinking about, IMO. You've got to avoid players like Drew who have no stamina or secondaries; they're completely useless, despite the highish bowling skill. Queque just isn't good enough at anything to be worthwhile (keep him around to play against bot teams, though, just don't train him), and Sansome again has no stamina as well as not being very good anyway.

Go on the transfer market and look for players like this:

Sean Neill (1564748)

RH Batsman, RH Spin Bowler, superb batting form, superb bowling form, energetic
A defensive player with competent leadership skills and abysmal experience.

Plays For: Diamantina Drovers
Nationality: Australia
Battrick Rating: 4,028
Wages: £421 p/w

Batting: mediocre Concentration: competent

And for bowlers, look at the bowling and consistency instead of the batting/concentration. Don't settle for less than mediocre in any of the important areas unless they're really good in some other way.

You should be able to pick players like this up for about 30k each, absolute tops. Buy three or four, train them and Naysmith on a couple of nets each, and in a couple of seasons' time you'll have yourself the core of a decent squad.

Edit: Ack! Simulpost. Ah well, twice as much advice.

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Haha, maybe we should compromise and say don't spend more than 20k on a player, which given the recent inflation in the transfer market, is probably about right as well.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
The players are off the field for lunch.

End of Over 51 (1 runs). Jamees 999ers: 121-6, runrate=2.37 (1st Inn: 189-10)
Trail by 66 runs. (Lacashire Dynamoes 376-10)
Westall 15-3-48-0
Warnock* 72 (139 balls)
Wanless 0 (6 balls)
Last Wicket: Lea c. Neal b. Greene 8 (FOW: 120/6)

Dead Badger

State 12th Man
Heh, yeah - certainly for med/med/med types you shouldn't be paying 30k, but you might pick up a bonus comp stat for the extra few quid.

At lunch I've got 'em 58-3; they're scoring no faster than their first innings (quite the reverse in fact) and Wilde is proving surprisingly effective, taking two big wickets. Still going to need a pretty big collapse post-lunch to leave me time to chase any target though.

End of Over 34 (1 runs). KFC Select XI: 58-3, runrate=1.71 (1st Inn: 356-10)
Lead by 81 runs. (Beard XI 333-4 dec)
Marriott 7-0-15-0
Dangasela* 2 (5 balls)
Shoe 16 (36 balls)
Last Wicket: Bunn b. Wilde 22 (FOW: 56/3)

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
67.4 6 Oneill to Warnock
Goes for a big hook and it's top edged over Neal's head for six!
And that's a century for Warnock! Well played indeed Sir!

Fantastic innings, still going with Bardle at 9, 45 they've put on now:

End of Over 68 (10 runs). Jamees 999ers: 168-7, runrate=2.47 (1st Inn: 189-10)
Trail by 19 runs. (Lacashire Dynamoes 376-10)
Oneill 25-9-53-3
Bardle* 8 (45 balls)
Warnock 105 (187 balls)

Last Wicket: Wanless b. Westall 1 (FOW: 123/7)

EDIT:

50 partnership up.

71.1 4 Greene to Warnock
Loxley dives in vain as the ball races away towards the boundary.

End of Over 71 (3 runs). Jamees 999ers: 172-7, runrate=2.42 (1st Inn: 189-10)
Trail by 15 runs. (Lacashire Dynamoes 376-10)
Sargeant 9-2-21-0
Warnock* 109 (195 balls)
Bardle 8 (55 balls)

Last Wicket: Wanless b. Westall 1 (FOW: 123/7)

Last edited:

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Bardle goes for a heroic nine off sixty-one balls. :(

75.1 W Greene to Bardle
Gave himself some room, went for the pull, beats the bat and the stumps are rearranged.

Put on 56 with Warnock for the 8th wicket. Fitzpatrick in now.

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain

YES -- not bad. Would usually want at least mediocre primary AND secondary, but the fielding is a handy bonus instead...and he might be high feeble. He might be pretty high mediocre batting with that BTR, too.

NO -- worthless stamina means he'd need two seasons of stamina training to get anywhere at all.

Again, NO -- worthless stamina and consistency would take a long time to improve.

NO -- abysmal stamina, and his primary's too low.

See blue text, above.

Spitfire talked a lot of sense a couple of posts ago. However, I'd argue that 18yos are also trainable -- if you're not going to take them up too many levels, you can often get them much cheaper than the equivalent 17yo.

Last edited:

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
End of Over 78 (Maiden). Jamees 999ers: 187-10, runrate=2.40 (1st Inn: 189-10)
Scores are level. (Lacashire Dynamoes 376-10)
Greene 10-3-24-4
Warnock* 120 (222 balls)

No fun :( Warnock carries his bat though, with 120*

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
Ha! Just seen Spitfire and Badger's responses to that post in particular.

I didn't realise 17yo med/med/med's were that cheap! In that case, you shouldn't even be looking at 18yo's.

Dead Badger

State 12th Man
Well, the win's off the table - I'd need to score at 5 an over if they declared now. So I find myself rooting for their batsmen to stay in as long as possible, to lessen the chances of my lot collapsing within the evening session. Still, nothing ventured nothing gained, and it made for more entertaining viewing.

End of Over 70 (3 runs, 1b). KFC Select XI: 173-7, runrate=2.47 (1st Inn: 356-10)
Lead by 196 runs. (Beard XI 333-4 dec)
Pead 17-7-30-2
Ellison* 0 (1 balls)
Shoe 66 (131 balls)
Last Wicket: Tynan c. Liebenberg b. Pead 0 (FOW: 172/7)

Erp, there goes another. Looks like I'll have about 35 overs to block out, with my main bats on relatively attacking orders. Hmm.

Edit: They're all out, leaving me 198 to get in about 36 overs. Not gonna happen. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.