• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

5th Test at The Oval, London

Spark

Global Moderator
Yes, he is good but if he is there only to do a holding job, Labuschagne can do that as well. The pitches or conditions are not conducive for him to take wickets, Australia is one up and just needs a draw. So, why not play Mitch Marsh instead of him and #batdeep.
because he has 350 test wickets often in conditions that are not conducive?

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
Yes, he is good but if he is there only to do a holding job, Labuschagne can do that as well. The pitches or conditions are not conducive for him to take wickets, Australia is one up and just needs a draw. So, why not play Mitch Marsh instead of him and #batdeep.
A “holding job” implies bowling a large amount of overs at a respectable Econ rate. I serious doubt Labu is capable of that.

MMarsh has shown zero evidence that he can consistently bat anywhere close to Test standard ,less so in conditions where the ball is doing a bit against a decent attack.

There aren’t enough decent batsmen in the squad (or even back in Australia) to #batdeep

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
It depends on what his issues are, though. If it's general fatigue, then see how he comes up by tomorrow morning and if he's right within himself (he most likely will be) then play him. But if they've done tests and he's getting into that danger area for stress fractures, then he absolutely shouldn't play. An injury like that would rule him out for basically the whole of the home summer. And while I know that's only Pakistan and NZ, you still want him fit for those games rather than out because he played in this one.
This is essentially it. People seem to think it's 'oh they're not playing a Test for X weeks/months, he'll have plenty of time to recover'. It's not that, it's that if his body is fatigued after all this workload over the past months, he becomes much more susceptible to injury. He has form in that area, right? And by ****ing christ you'd be disappointed if you lost Pat Cummins for the summer when you'd already won the Ashes.

I'm not saying they should rest him because I don't know how he's feeling. But if there's doubts, you'd have to err on the side of caution. They don't have to play him as others have said.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You always pick your best spinner if they're fit.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He was far more suited to those conditions than they were. Full medium paced outswing was pretty effective on that deck
plus Clarke used the Mitch's, particularly MJ, in very short spells, unless they were on fire

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
Well 3 of that top 6 are in the current squad...but what we'd give for the other 3 as well right now (Rojers, Clarke and Voges)
Of course, Warner didn’t look snakebitten every time he strode to the wicket.

Looking at that card, makes me think that Siddle will be strongly considered for the 5th Test.

Spark

Global Moderator
Amazing how that Australian batting was light years ahead of the current one.
Is that a surprise? Amongst other things, Rogers, Clarke and Voges were highly experienced batsmen at the end of their careers. They're always going to look more impressive on paper than a bunch of newbies.

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
Is that a surprise? Amongst other things, Rogers, Clarke and Voges were highly experienced batsmen at the end of their careers. They're always going to look more impressive on paper than a bunch of newbies.
Not really. Apart from the fact they were outplayed for the majority of the series.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I feel for COverton there. Didn't do much wrong, but a weird selection in the first place.

Head out for MMarsh also fairly surprising imo.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
This feels a bit 2013 Fifth Test where both teams get a bit funky and it risks backfiring on both of 'em.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I think if Cummins isn't going to be rested playing MMarsh is the right call. I was wincing at times during his final spells on Sunday when the commentators were hyping up the durability of a bloke who suffered multiple stress fractures before he turned 25.