• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I knew this was comming

mohammad16

U19 Captain
i knew for a fact that the english bowlers would struggle in australia, i thought to mysellf after they won the last ashes that england bowlers would goto australia looking for swing and will not find it, they will either pitch the ball way up or too short, instead austrlian pitches almost demand that the ball be pitched on a perfect lenght so it utilizes the bounce and seam movement.

this is what has happened, the aussie bowlers know the exact lenght to be bowled on thier home grounds while england even after watching how aussies bowled in the second innings have yet to find that lenght.

this trend will continue because the ball simply does not swing as much as it does in england, and pitching the ball way up is def not a safe option

if england want to have any chance of giving aussies a contest, they need to find that proper lenght and stick to it because thre wont be enough swing to run through the aussie side pitching the ball up.

im not so worried about the english batting attack because aussie bowling attack was just too good, i think pieterson may well have a good series because i lieked his approach in the first innings other then that stupid pull shot he attempted.

I think peiterson and flintoff will change thier gameplan and be less aggresive which is what the team needs, they are lacking exp in trescothick and vaughn so flintoff and peiterson should look to stay at the crease rather then trying to smack everything out of the ground.

Its going to be very tough for england, i think they should continue with james anderson in the next match as he did get some movment and at times was bowling the right lenght, harmison needs a pitch with some un even bounce and i dont think he will find that here, but harmison is such a match winner that not playing him in the next test match would be a big gamble.

panesar could be englands miracle cure, theres a good chance he can turn englands fortunes around, england should hope they find a deteriorating ptich in the next test match and bat first. evn though warne will come into his own in that case, atleast england will be able to pose some threat.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
mohammad16 said:
i knew for a fact that the english bowlers would struggle in australia, i thought to mysellf after they won the last ashes that england bowlers would goto australia looking for swing and will not find it, they will either pitch the ball way up or too short, instead austrlian pitches almost demand that the ball be pitched on a perfect lenght so it utilizes the bounce and seam movement.
Jones and Flintoff are the guys in the attack who looked for swing last time around. Hoggard did it in useful conditions, but Flintoff and Jones did it consistently. Now Jones is absent and Flintoff is the one good bowler for England in this Test thus far.

I don't see the issue being the lack of swing at all. The England bowlers just look extremely rusty and generally rubbish. Anderson hasn't played Test cricket in an age and Harmison has been off-colour for a while now.
mohammad16 said:
panesar could be englands miracle cure, theres a good chance he can turn englands fortunes around, england should hope they find a deteriorating ptich in the next test match and bat first. evn though warne will come into his own in that case, atleast england will be able to pose some threat.
I don't think you'll find a subcontinental pitch in Australia. Batting first and catering for deterioration doesn't generally come into play in Australia.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I don't think you'll find a subcontinental pitch in Australia. Batting first and catering for deterioration doesn't generally come into play in Australia.
It does a bit, I think. It depends on the ground though, obviously. Batting first and waiting for the pitch to disintegrate at Melbourne won't do you much good compared to most grounds, but at Adelaide you'd have to be an idiot to bowl first, for largely that reason. It'll be extremely good for batting and maybe even an absolute road early in the test, and by days 4 and 5 it may well come apart completely. Adelaide has very dry and hot weather compared to most of Australia, and it's usually a very dry wicket.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
Same with Sydney.
The main difference with Sydney is that it's not always such a great batting pitch early in the test. It'll sometimes seam around if there's a bit of cloud cover, and early in the season it can be quite a good bowling wicket. It'll always take spin as the game goes on, but again unlike Adelaide there's not such a huge deterioration between days 3 and 5.

I can only recall one Sydney wicket that didn't spin early in the test, and if the look of it in domestic cricket so far this season is any indication this won't be any different. Nathan Hauritz and Jason Krejza were turning it a mile the other day. I'd expect Adelaide to be a road for at least 3 days, though it's more abrasive and there might be some reverse swing, which is presumably good news for England.