• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Highest Run Scorer.

Who will do the most business?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Laurrz

International Debutant
chaminda_00 said:
LOL Watson a near certainty to play in the 1st Test. I seriously doubt Clarke will play a game all series unless someone gets injuried.
you can't be serious? what do u base this on?

to me whether Watson plays or not was whether McGrath was bowlig bad or good...after CT it seems like it is good....so it should be Clarke because he is a matchwinner with the bat

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Laurrz said:
you can't be serious? what do u base this on?

to me whether Watson plays or not was whether McGrath was bowlig bad or good...after CT it seems like it is good....so it should be Clarke because he is a matchwinner with the bat
I don't McGarth form play any roll in who they choose at number six. They been looking for an all rounder for a while, all Watson had to do secure his spot in the first Test was to score some runs, which he did two 50s and take a couple wickets. Clarke hasn't really done enough to warrant a spot on his batting alone, when you consider that Watson scored more runs then him in CT and has a better record with the bat in FC. There is no doubt that Clarke is a better batsmen overall, but with the extra option Watson provides with the ball and the fact that his in form with the bat, his a certainity.

Laurrz

International Debutant
chaminda_00 said:
I don't McGarth form play any roll in who they choose at number six. They been looking for an all rounder for a while, all Watson had to do secure his spot in the first Test was to score some runs, which he did two 50s and take a couple wickets. Clarke hasn't really done enough to warrant a spot on his batting alone, when you consider that Watson scored more runs then him in CT and has a better record with the bat in FC. There is no doubt that Clarke is a better batsmen overall, but with the extra option Watson provides with the ball and the fact that his in form with the bat, his a certainity.
Well Ponting already said that the bowling attack will be... McGrath Lee Warne and ONE more space

he also said before the CT that McGrath's form will play a huhe role in who is #6

the 4 bowlers 7 batsmen has worked for ages... i don't think it should change... there was queries because McGrath wasn't at his best but i think hes getting there now... not to his best but yea...

i would't mind Watson playing really...but when i watch Clarke bat i know that it could be something special coz he is a young talent...

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Clarke is a very talented batsman, but he will get his chance in another series. Watson is a must-pick right now, he's bowling well and batting decently and Clarke hasn't done enough to cement his place. Clarke will play after someone retires, most likely, and as Tharmi said he won't get a game in this series unless someone is injured or Watson has a really horrible run for 3 or 4 tests.

Slow Love™

International Captain
I think Hayden and Gilly have a lot to prove, but while Gilly may do well, I doubt he'll be the highest run-scorer.

Strauss I'd expect to do fairly well, too.

I'll vote for Hayden.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Reckon KP will have agood series......hope Ponting flops bigtime.....I hate him with a passion :laugh:

Hope Bell does well also.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
howardj said:
Ponting -

Possibly a 700 run series.

Doesn't look likely at the moment. He had a shocking Champions Trophy, and got found out by some average bowling. Maybe last winter when he was at his best, but not now I don't think. Maybe 500 odd, but 700?

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
On Australian pitches in test matches is Ponting's cup of tea, really. He had a pretty poor VB Series last year and still managed to cane South Africa around in the following test series.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I think Ponting will come good as well. I'm not so certain that Warne will have a great series for instance, and I have a feeling he might not live up to last year's heights, but Ponting in the last 12 months in tests has been in the most unstoppable run of form I've ever seen. 8 centuries in 11 tests is incredible, and I think he'll be back to his best at some point during the series.

I don't think he had a "woeful" CT either, and I certainly don't think he got found out. He was a bit out of touch, but made a couple of 50s. It was average and nothing more.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
I think Ponting will come good as well. I'm not so certain that Warne will have a great series for instance, and I have a feeling he might not live up to last year's heights, but Ponting in the last 12 months in tests has been in the most unstoppable run of form I've ever seen. 8 centuries in 11 tests is incredible, and I think he'll be back to his best at some point during the series.

I don't think he had a "woeful" CT either, and I certainly don't think he got found out. He was a bit out of touch, but made a couple of 50s. It was average and nothing more.
Nah. Ponting's clearly out of touch. You know he's in for a bad time when he's dropping catches. There will be so much pressure on him to regain the Ashes. If Australia get off to a bad start in Brisbane, it will affect his game.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
FaaipDeOiad said:

I obviously rate Ponting very highly, and he may have a great test series, but I think you're underestimating the influence 'form' has on a batsman. He was brilliant in that period, but that period ended a while ago. If he scores in this test series, its not because he's 'still in form', its because he has 'got his form back'. You can't talk about tests 6-12 months ago and claim he'll have a good series really. You can talk about how good he is in general though, and obviously, he's very very good.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
dontcloseyoureyes said:
On Australian pitches in test matches is Ponting's cup of tea, really. He had a pretty poor VB Series last year and still managed to cane South Africa around in the following test series.
That following test series wasn't in Australia though.

Australian pitches + test matches = Hayden's cup of tea for mine. I'd be interested to see what their averages are at home is. I'll go have a look.

Edit: They both average almost the same in Australia. Hayden 63.77 and Ponting 62.91. Flip of the coin really.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
I obviously rate Ponting very highly, and he may have a great test series, but I think you're underestimating the influence 'form' has on a batsman. He was brilliant in that period, but that period ended a while ago. If he scores in this test series, its not because he's 'still in form', its because he has 'got his form back'. You can't talk about tests 6-12 months ago and claim he'll have a good series really. You can talk about how good he is in general though, and obviously, he's very very good.
Form is important, but it's also very changable. I actually think it's impossible to say "X batsman will have a good/bad series because of his current form", because you have to begin or end a form slump at some point. Look at Martyn and Gilchrist last Ashes, for instance. At most it's a factor in a prediction, it can't be everything.

Let's not forget that Ponting had a brilliant run of form leading up to taking over the captaincy, then an extended slump. He only made 3 centuries between the home series against India on 03/04 and the start of last summer, and just one in the Ashes and nothing in the Super Test. So realistically, he was in pretty poor form before the start of last summer as well, but it didn't really have any impact. I think Ponting will have a good series because he's a top class batsman at the peak of his career and I think he'll find touch again when it matters, not because of his form.

But seriously, his form isn't that bad. His last test series he made a match-winning century, and all he's played since then is ODIs, and he made two 50s in the CT and had an average series. Even if he fails for Tasmania in the Pura Cup game, I'm not that concerned.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
gotta too agree with Faaip, don't think Ponting form ATM is a serious concern, in malaysia he got out to some poor deliveries and some that kept low. Then over in India he always seems to struggle to get going on those pitches/conditions but still managed two fifties and if you looked at the way he got out in most of the games except the final he got out to poor deliveries.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
Form is important, but it's also very changable. I actually think it's impossible to say "X batsman will have a good/bad series because of his current form", because you have to begin or end a form slump at some point. Look at Martyn and Gilchrist last Ashes, for instance. At most it's a factor in a prediction, it can't be everything.

Let's not forget that Ponting had a brilliant run of form leading up to taking over the captaincy, then an extended slump. He only made 3 centuries between the home series against India on 03/04 and the start of last summer, and just one in the Ashes and nothing in the Super Test. So realistically, he was in pretty poor form before the start of last summer as well, but it didn't really have any impact. I think Ponting will have a good series because he's a top class batsman at the peak of his career and I think he'll find touch again when it matters, not because of his form.

But seriously, his form isn't that bad. His last test series he made a match-winning century, and all he's played since then is ODIs, and he made two 50s in the CT and had an average series. Even if he fails for Tasmania in the Pura Cup game, I'm not that concerned.
Top post. Lets not forget that he didn't score a century during all of 2004, yet hit back with a vengence in 05. Since he's slotted permanently into the no.3 position in 2002, he has consistently been the batsmen in the team who has stood up and been counted when it's mattered most, and when the pressure has been on him to perform. I've no doubt taht this will again be the case this series.

Strauss is firming as the favourite to score the bulk of Englands runs. His game is best suited to our type of pitches, and i expect such a classy batsmen as he to cash in.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'm not saying he's out of form, but if you can't carry on form from 6 months ago, especially if you haven't played any test cricket since then.

If he scores, its because as you said, he's in the peak of his career.