• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 5th Test at the Sydney Cricket Ground

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Easily the worst thread of the 5 Test's this one. Pretty disappointed tbh, especially seeing how good the first few were.
No I meant in terms of people on atm.

Cuz' you should look at the amount of people there are during the India/SA matches on that thread.

But it was just an exaggerated statement.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Match report up.

Went for Gilchrist as MotM. Played the innings which took Australia to a strong position in the match, and also picked up 9 dismissals. There was no obvious candidate for the award though. Any of Lee, McGrath, Warne or Gilchrist could reasonably have got it. Didn't think much of the official Clark pick, I think it was mostly a token gesture as he didn't get man of the series.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Well done Aussies, too much focus, intensity and skill for the English, 5-0 is the proper way for them to put 2005 in context in the record books.

JBH001

International Regular
Damn.

England absolutely incinerated by the furnace of Australian cricket.

They simply were not upto it, no spine, no gumption, no heart, no fight, nothing.

Laurrz

International Debutant
yes, i had a teary moment there... lol

i think this transition period will be interesting... will be interesting to watch how Ponting/Gilly/Hayden tries to get these youngsters [Johnson Tait Hilfenhaus Cullen Bailey Heal etc.etc. Rogers Jaques] and make em feel comfortable in the team...

its gonna be Pontings team now.. McGrath Warne and Langer were all inherited from Tubbs Steve Waugh

im gonna miss McGrath and Warne absolutely choking batsmen down mentally.... :'( Together they've taken 1000 wickets ... at an economy rate of 2.5... Average of around 23... and five wickets per innings... UNREAL..and the way they work out the FINEST of batsmen... is just ....extraordinary and theres no point explaining why.. they just wear batsmen down

and of course Langer.. see the first 20 balls he faced today is so him :'( i always feel confident when he is batting under pressure.. ie. start of a test match.. i know he WILL price his wicket

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yep suddeny Ashes contest have a great hype to em. England shouldn't stress much about this result, when they are # 1 & dominating test cricket they'll look back at this result and laugh..
You might forget why you support Australia too... 8-)

Slow Love™

International Captain
Great to see Warney, McGrath and Langer all go out on a high - as well as Ponting getting the ultimate revenge, but I ultimately feel a residual annoyance at the fact that England were so crap. Without doubt Australia were a significantly superior side, but this English side still had too much talent IMO to go down 5-zip. Pietersen may well have been attacked for not being a team man, but he put a value on his wicket that few of the English bats did.

On the other hand, sadly, 5-nil probably does accurately tell the story of the series. Virtually every time Australia needed something special, they found something, and every time England were confronted with a decisive moment, they caved. It may sound harsh, IMO, with a few notable exceptions, there was a real lack of character shown this series by the English, and it got worse as the series went on. Taking a dead rubber, generally common enough, never looked likely, and it wasn't solely down to the Aussie's determination, as impressive as it was. Even when being beaten in the last Ashes, Australia tended to hang on by their fingertips and force the Poms to actually finish us off. It's a matter of pride.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
The stunning thing about the 5 nil scoreline for me is that of all the poor English sides that have gone to Australia over the last 20 years this is probably the most talented, most aggressive & most successfull unit & yet the were so hammered. The series that i saw in 98/99 & 02/03 England showed have lost 5-0 then. Just shows how brilliant Australia were in the tight situations & how bad they wanted that little urn back. But i reckon this beating could be blessing in disguise for the English team TBH, since no order side in the world currently is capable of doing what Australia have done to them in this series

Got to blow up that urn up for me, too little for such a huge series..

Fiery

Banned
If I see another Aussie man-love session after they've won a game this summer there will be stubbies flying through the TV.

Fiery

Banned
The stunning thing about the 5 nil scoreline for me is that of all the poor English sides that have gone to Australia over the last 20 years this is probably the most talented, most aggressive & most successfull unit & yet the were so hammered.
Whaaaat. Most aggressive? Apart from Pietersen, all the recognised batsmen have been timid and boring as bat****.