• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 4th Test at the Melbourne Cricket Ground

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
His medium-pacers have been great lately, and his fielding is the best in the world. This batting performance could be the start of a place in the Test team.

Slow Love™

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
I think mainly the negative comments were a result of frustration as his continued selection as an all-rounder. I don't think he's deserving of a batting average in the teens, but there are better test batsmen who aren't in the side at the moment, and really he never should have played 12 tests. It's been a great century, and Australia haven't exactly suffered for carrying Symonds so far in his career, but the fact that his bowling has been better than his batting in general says a lot about how he has played.

I agree though that his main problem has been understanding his role. The parallels between this innings and the one at the start of the 2003 World Cup are obvious. He comes in as a lineball selection with a poor record, the team is in trouble and he relaxes and plays himself in before going for his shots, and makes a hundred. It may even be that he learns a bit more about himself as a batsman from this and succeeds in tests, but with one match to go and then a year off I can't see how he'll hang on to his place in the side. If Watson is fit next summer and bowling like he was before this series began he'd be a pushover for number 6.
Yeah, he's obviously playing as a stopgap for "balancing" purposes until Watson's return (although I don't believe Watson's place as a regular is entirely set in stone... yet), because the Aussie selectors have for some time been obsessed with finding a fulltime test all-rounder. But in terms of the negative comments, I was meaning more along the lines of "crap" and "rubbish" rather than "I'd rather see a genuine batsman in the side" or "he hasn't set the world on fire". :)

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good stuff from these two here. Must admit that I've not been happy with Symonds' continual selection, and have said so here, but from what I've seen he's batted well today, so fair play to him, and he looked pretty comfortable from the moment he came out, despite taking so long to get off the mark.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
It's good to see Symonds make a ton, I don't think there would be anyone in Australia that dislikes him personally, but let's not go overboard on the back of one innings.

Heh. Hoggard was confident with that shout!

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
LOL @ that 3 ad. Gilly to Lehmann. I love the continued use of Lehmann in the 3 ads, especially in sync with the current Australian side.

Haydos. :thumbsup:

aussie tragic

International Captain
Hayden and Symonds closing in on the highest 6th wkt partnership ever and they need just another 4 to beat 281 (Thorpe & Flintoff), 21 to beat 298* (Vengsarker and Shastri) and 68 to break the record of 346 (Fingleton & Bradman)

EDIT: :oops:

Hayden out so the partnership stands at 279, 5th highest 6th wkt stand ever I think.....(I forgot Martyn & Gilchrist scored 317 in 2002)

Last edited:

cameeel

International Captain
aussie tragic said:
Hayden and Symonds closing in on the 2nd highest 6th wkt partnership ever and they need just another 22 I think (to beat 298* from Vengsarker and Shastri)
I was trying to find a list of 6th wicket partnerships earlier, but with no luck. Where'd you find out from?

imagine

School Boy/Girl Captain
It is not a world record or australia record.

World record is :
6th 346 JHW Fingleton & DG Bradman Australian v England

279 runs, 65.2 overs, RR: 4.27 (Hayden 124, Symonds 150)

sixth-highest sixth-wicket stand in Test history

Last edited: