Page 100 of 109 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102 ... LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 1624

Thread: ***Official*** 1st Test at The Gabba

For those who were able to watch the game today (could only manage radio coverage myself) how was Gilly's captaincy? From the sounds of the ABC commentary he was a little to defensive at times. Also, what was the go of not having a slip in for Lee during his second spell? (again i'm only getting this from radio coverage so please correct me if i'm wrong) If this was the case it seems questionable for mine. Yes it was late in the day etc. but with so many runs on the board surely having a 1st or 2nd slip would beneficial as theres always a chance of a snick when Pietersens batting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Clapo
    For those who were able to watch the game today (could only manage radio coverage myself) how was Gilly's captaincy? From the sounds of the ABC commentary he was a little to defensive at times. Also, what was the go of not having a slip in for Lee during his second spell? (again i'm only getting this from radio coverage so please correct me if i'm wrong) If this was the case it seems questionable for mine. Yes it was late in the day etc. but with so many runs on the board surely having a 1st or 2nd slip would beneficial as theres always a chance of a snick when Pietersens batting.
    Extremely so. I watched the afternoon session & the first hour of the evening. For the most part he had only 2 slips & a gully to the seamers. With 600+ on the board & wickets the only real issue I think he could've afforded to be more attacking.

EDIT: two out on the hook for Colly too, which is a waste as he's hardly a compulsive player of that shot.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Yeah, I felt Australia missed Ponting a little. Gilchrist is usually a decent captain, but I assume the plan was to try and tie Pietersen down and frustrate him through the late overs in the day, hence Warne bowling around the wicket for so long etc. Didn't seem necessary with Lee at all.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Jaquestown says:
    if gelman was a delivery, he'd be the first ball of a steve harmison spell
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    It was amazing to be at the ground today. Love or hate Pietersen he is great to watch live. When he gets on top of an attack, there's hardly any stopping him. He played a few rash strokes at the end of the day, but you have to take that with him, I think, until he matures as a batsman, and realises that it's great to take an attack on, but you have to pick and choose your battles.

Collingwood, after an initial jitters, looked amazingly settled. He played Warne with command and he had so much time to play Lee. He played some wonderful shots, a stright drive and on drive were the highlights for me, and his pull to reach 50 was sensational.

Brett Lee was sintilating in the first innings, but was extremely poor in the second innings, bowling far too short and with too much width. Clark was the pick of the bowlers. Best day of cricket as a spectator so far.

The key point for me is that England will now have the momentum going into the 2nd test, no matter how quickly they are cleaned up tomorrow, and that is far from a given with storms predicted, which will give England even more confidence considering they should have lost the test. I just question Ponting's decision not to enforce the follow on. As a batsman it is a lot easier batting knowing where the end is either in runs or time, but if England were forced to follow on, not only would Australia have had more time to bowl them out, the batsman would have known even if they overhauled the target Australia could bat again. Not a major difference, but you are under a lot less pressure not having to follow on.

I think the bowlers would have been more drained bowling today then they would have enforcing the follow on yesterday. It was the hottest and most humid day of the test so far.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Squirrel Soccer Champion!
    Its an absoloute miracle we made the 5th day, took us four days to arrive! If The Aussies come away from here without a win, which is by no means impossible, it will be an absoloute travesty. A very good one, though

I am still amazed by all the attacking shots that are being played. I agree with attacking a few but chasing wide ones, throwing your bat at it isnt going to save us. Not this time.
    This Weeks Samit Patel Fact - Has been mentioned in 32 of my posts

The Rifles - Whats your verdict? www.myspace.com/therifles

Winner of Cricket Webs Shane Warne Award - 4-11th Feb

RIP Mr Woolmer, We are all poorer for your loss.

So whats the chances of a storm tommorow? Anybody hear the weather forecast?

School Boy/Girl Captain grant28's Avatar
    about your nathan bracken thing - hes a world class odi bowler

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Hmm a draw is not completely out of the question, if KP and Geraint can just get through the 20 overs of a new ball, and survive until the storm, they could make Ponting look very, very stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Wouldn't it be insane if they manage to score 355 runs?

No, I'm just kidding. 85% Aussie win, 15% Draw, 0% English Win
    Last edited by silentstriker; 26-11-2006 at 12:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by albo97056
    So whats the chances of a storm tommorow? Anybody hear the weather forecast?
    It's a possibility according to some sources but likely to be late afternoon/ evening if at all.

I've also seen a couple of forecasts which don't reckon on one.

Curveball Champion!
    That would be good. If we hadn't lost Bell, Strauss or Cook, and were chasing 350 odd, I'd say we are in with a chance. I wouldn't call it 0%, more like 0.1%

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I think its just some English forecaster predicting rain to worry the Australians.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    I still think a storms the best chance England have of saving this Test. Was very impressed with some of the play on the fourth day (from Englands point of view).

Thought Cook looked very comfortable, played Warne fairly well, and as we know he plays pace very well. Colly, after he got over his rocky start where he was a little indecisive, looked in total control. Very strong through mid-wicket-mid on area ,and played some lovely shots off the back foot. One shot off Brett Lee, where he punched it through cover was vintage. KP is KP, extravagant, flambuoyant and thoroughly absorbing to watch.

I think England will do well to get to tea on the last day. Jones and KP the big wicket, they need to bat for the large majority of the day if England are somehow going to save this Test. A tall order.

Australia,imo, looked at ease, no urgency (and I suppose why should there be?), almost as though they were just happy to sit back and wait for it to happen. To say they didnt look up for it would be wrong, but they seemed to be happy to wait for Englands mistake, rather than make a wicket. Maybe if England hang around today and the stormclouds draw in, we may see a lot more urgency. And a lot of anxiety from Ponting after his decision!

Curveball Champion!
    I was surprised as to how well Collingwood played Warne, and Cook as well. This isn't going to be a 40 wicket series for him.

Thread Information