• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Back In the Hunt: Jones hoping beyond hope

tooextracool

International Coach
I dont see how it really matters. Even if Jones were to miraculously be fit for the Ashes series, he wouldnt have played in a single game for nearly a year. Theres no way hes going to be match fit, let alone fit to play an Ashes series. Id rather be hoping that Anderson is match fit.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Jones will give England "that" psychological edge and even if he is short of match practice he would still be worth a risk

TEC is that Sven Goran in your avatar:p.

tooextracool

International Coach
if anything i think it will only give english fans false hope of being able to retain the ashes. if hes short of match practice hes liable to be caned all over the park.
and i would never have sven goran eriksson as my avatar.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
tooextracool said:
I dont see how it really matters. Even if Jones were to miraculously be fit for the Ashes series, he wouldnt have played in a single game for nearly a year. Theres no way hes going to be match fit, let alone fit to play an Ashes series. Id rather be hoping that Anderson is match fit.
I would rather have Jones in a wheelchair bowling for me than Anderson at the height of his powers.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
LongHopCassidy said:
I would rather have Jones in a wheelchair bowling for me than Anderson at the height of his powers.
well that is your opinion. Jones may have bowled brilliantly in the Ashes(something which yours truly warned everyone might happen before the summer was under way) but we all know how poorly he can bowl when hes not full fit(against WI in 2004). As far as im concerned, Jones not being match fit would result in a complete and utter massacre of his bowling and confidence which would be rather useless.
As far as Anderson is concerned, i can only assume that you didnt watch him bowl in India.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yep indeed; if Simon Jones plays in the Ashes, he'll likely get carted because he had plenty of match-play before the Ashes 2005 series and was in fantastic form. He's not of the ilk of someone like Glenn McGrath; he can't just jump into a series and bowl with career-best consistency.

Personally, England should forget trying to get one bowler who is going to be severely under-done just barely match-fit and instead forcus on the current crop and prepare them for the summer.