Cricket Player Manager
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 151

Thread: England vs Australia - Who has the best depth?

  1. #136
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Giles economy rate is nothing special though. In fact, it's worse than most of the other good spinners in world cricket.

    Economy rates, for comparison:
    Murali - 2.38
    Kumble - 2.62
    Warne - 2.64
    Vettori - 2.67
    Harbhajan - 2.79
    Giles - 2.85
    Kaneria - 3.04
    MacGill - 3.15

    Now, strike rates...
    MacGill 52.07
    Murali - 55.99
    Warne - 57.51
    Kaneria - 61.16
    Harbhajan - 64.90
    Kumble - 65.79
    Vettori - 77.45
    Giles - 83.49

    It really is remarkable how good MacGill's is, which is why people bring it up so much. To find a spinner with a strike rate like that, you have to go back to the 19th century.
    And you can clearly split it into 3 parts - 47.4, 70.9 and 40.6.
    Giles doesn't tend to be that economical when batsmen go after him on non-turning pitches - best demonstrated by South Africa in 2003.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  2. #137
    Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    17,229
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    I think I do.
    Well...the ball's in your court.

    The best way you could prove it to stop talking about it IMO. Otherwise the evidence for the negative just keeps growing.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

    R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

    R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

    Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

    "How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

  3. #138
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    The ball's certainly not in my court if you've put the "shut up or you're just digging yourself" proposition to me.

  4. #139
    Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    17,229
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    The ball's certainly not in my court if you've put the "shut up or you're just digging yourself" proposition to me.
    You're right, it's a bit unfair


  5. #140
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    You're in a mood of late...
    I've counted 4 or 5 of those in this forum in your most recent replies...

  6. #141
    International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nursing a broken ****ing arm
    Posts
    5,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    And you can clearly split it into 3 parts - 47.4, 70.9 and 40.6.
    Giles doesn't tend to be that economical when batsmen go after him on non-turning pitches - best demonstrated by South Africa in 2003.
    You have a nasty habit of pointing out the absolute nadir of a playing period to judge a player, which you use to vindicate your point. The stats all average out in the end.

    It's irrelevant unless we're discussing a player's form, which we're certainly not.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

  7. #142
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    I'd say the fact that MacGill's nadir was longer in length than his good start (816.1 overs to 521.3) and the fact that the good came before the bat means quite a bit.
    "Form" is a very bad word for the said periods, anyway. No-one can be "in form" for 14 games over 3 years then "out of form" for 16 over another 3.

  8. #143
    International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nursing a broken ****ing arm
    Posts
    5,681
    It's easier if you observe them bowling instead of making deductions from statistics.

  9. #144
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    I certainly watched MacGill in 1998\99, and I certainly watched him plenty in 2000\01, 2002\03, 2003\04 and 2005\06.
    I don't actually think he ever bowled that well - certainly was IMO hugely flattered by his figures in 1998\99, England's inability to play even the worst legspin contributing far more than any superbness on his part.

  10. #145
    International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nursing a broken ****ing arm
    Posts
    5,681
    Well, Warnie returned far worse figures during that time. Do you honestly believe every side suddenly loses their talent at playing leg-spin when MacGill gets tossed the ball?

    Because that seems to be your only argument to discredit his excellent figures.
    Last edited by LongHopCassidy; 23-04-2006 at 05:33 AM.

  11. #146
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Err, no. If you look carefully MacGill doesn't have good figures of late.
    As for England in that Ashes - Warne played just 1 game, when returning from injury. As such, he bowled pretty poorly.

  12. #147
    International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nursing a broken ****ing arm
    Posts
    5,681
    8-108 from a team total of 430-odd?

    Even you would take those figures.

  13. #148
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    I'm talking against Test-standard teams, chum...

  14. #149
    School Boy/Girl Captain Hero_Don's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Yeah the captaincy depth thing is rubbish.

    Regarding the bowling, Engalnd's severe lack of spin depth is a worry. They have a passable option in Giles, and a fair amount of crap behind him. Australia have MacGill who is certainly the best spinner in the world who isn't a test regular, and with Cullen, Bailey, Casson and such have a fair amount of domestic depth as well.

    .
    Cullen, Bailey and Casson, are useless at the moment basically. I would rather just let Micheal Clarke roll his arm over than bothering to play them. Cullen has potential, however he is not delivering enough at the moment, as for the other 2, have the potential to be servicable domestic spinners, but they should never play for Australia.
    Skills.

  15. #150
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,746
    Cullen is not delivering enough are you kidding me he has only had a few one dayers and 1 test?

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Oldest Test Team?
    By chaminda_00 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 13-09-2006, 11:01 PM
  2. Playing test cricket in their 40s
    By Pratters in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 27-11-2005, 10:13 PM
  3. The Future Champions of Test Cricket
    By Shawn Badyk in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 10-07-2003, 04:11 AM
  4. Who?
    By Rich2001 in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-07-2003, 03:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •