• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group C - Australia, Sri Lanka, West Indies

Lostman

State Captain
Didn't watch the game today, so i missed seeing mendis bowl:dry:

I haven't been paying much attention to this so I am not sure how the grouping works, looked on cricinfo but couldn't find what I was looking for in the 20/20 WC page.
So hoping someone can clear this up for me.

Do points from this stage carry onto the next round?
Also have the groups already been decided for the next stage? in terms of A1,B2, C2 etc?

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Have fun in Leicester.
If I went into every hotel in Leicester on Friday and asked if the Australian cricket team was staying with them, do you think I'd get to meet them?

I do morally object to Australian sporting teams, but it'd still be cool to meet real-life international cricket stars (and Nathan Hauritz).

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
It wasn't the batting which cost Australia, it's the crappy bowling. 160 is a respectible and defendible score if you have a good bowling unit.

Johnson was way down on pace (by about 7-9kph) don't know whether that's intentional given the success of sub-fast bowling in T20, but he's best when bowing fast. It's that simple. He doesn't move the ball enough to bowl fast-medium as a LH to RH who want to hit you out of the ground.

Lee was smashed as he almost always is in England, he isn't a good enough bowler to bowl in English conditions IMHO. When the track is fast and bouncy, he's excellent but in England he's often expensive.

I know I'm not the biggest fan of his, but Siddle had to be a much better option than both Watson and Bracken. The fact Watson can bat means nothing to me that's just papering over the cracks. Hodge, as many agree, should have been in the XI let alone the squad.

Hauritz is in the team for what reason? He got 1 ball to turn and that was pitched so far wide of off stump that it didn't matter if it turned 10 feet.

I don't think being knocked out will have a huge effect on the outcome of the Ashes except maybe on Ricky Ponting. He is a pretty poor captain and has was lucky he had a plethora of talent to work with at the begin of his reign. Now with a few class players and a lot of mediocre, he's going to need to step it up and become inventive a la Michael Vaughan and Stephen Fleming.

AaronK

State Regular
Wow what a a win by Sri Lankans..

It is good to see aussies go early for a change..the bright side is now they will be fresh an full of practice for Ashes..

I don't see Pakistan qualifying as well..I don't think they deserve it it specially with thier fielding..

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Fair play to the Sri Lankans. Bowled really well, probably let Aus get 20-30 more runs than they should have. Dissappointing bowling effort from Aus, bar Hauritz who looked pretty good.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
this is where somebody kicks up a stink about the group stages carrying too much of a rick for the 'good' teamas getting knocked out early and the crap ones sneaking thought of a single lucky result. Then demanding the format gets changed.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Unreal, can't believe this. Fair play to the Aussie fans though, they pretty much all called this before the Cup.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
This makes up for all the crap certain Australians gave English fans on this forum over the Dutch defeat! :laugh:

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
finally Mubarak deliverd in a winning situation against a top side! Sangakara mendis dilshan(what a 2009 for him) all brilliant. Now i dont care who wins the tournument. :)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hauritz is in the team for what reason? He got 1 ball to turn and that was pitched so far wide of off stump that it didn't matter if it turned 10 feet.
Wow, harsh!

Not exactly a fan of Hauritz, but he got a wicket and slowed the rate after Lee, Johnson and Watson were spanked.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Wow, harsh!

Not exactly a fan of Hauritz, but he got a wicket and slowed the rate after Lee, Johnson and Watson were spanked.
Yeah AWTA. I wouldn't pick Hauritz in New South Wales's Second XI as far as First Class cricket is concerned, but he definitely has a role to play for Australia in limited overs cricket IMO.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Don't deserve to be there, come back when you show the format some respect.
Cricket Australia should rethink the schedule for the home 2009/10 summer, since the T20s are basically another set as two exhibition matches & player burnout again - may cause Australian players to skip IPL 2010. So average T20 performances may continue for a while yet.