Cricket Player Manager
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: World XI's - Europe & Rest of the World

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Let's be fair, Marc's remarks were hardly "crazy" or "sarcastic." It was a logical statement. Picking Eboue on the right-wing is a crass error. Trust me, putting full-backs on the wing just because they're quick is silllly. As Marc said, yeah if you're an injury ravaged club side but not for a world XI.

As for your formation, one centre-back, wing-backs and wide midfielders has got to be just about the craziest idea of all-time. You don't play wing-backs and wide midfielders, it's pointless, and you don't play one centre-back if you're playing wing-backs, because it's suicide, it's not dodgy it's kamikaze. Come on Aussie, you can do better.

GK

CENTRE-BACK

RWB...............DM.....................LWB

RM.................CM..........CM................L M

CF.............CF

Can't you see how crazy that is? The purpose of a wing-back is to the job of both a full-back and a winger, so what's the point in playing wingers. And one centre-back, without even full-backs in support would just be caught cold every time, even if the centre-back you chose was Superman. Crazy, crazy, crazy!
    Last edited by GIMH; 26-06-2006 at 06:05 AM.
    Phillip Hughes 1988-2014

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

no no no the formation that the 3-5-2 for the rest of the world that i had in mind looks like this:

--------------------------------------------------------GK----------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------CB-----------------------CB---------------------------------------------CB---------------------

--------------------------------------------------------DM---------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------RM------------------------CM-----------CM---------------------------------------------LM-----------

-------------------------------------------------CF------------CF-------------------------------------------------------------

Its the kind of formation Argentina plays, i dunno i thought in the 3-5-2 formation the two wide defenders where referred to as wing backs my mistake. But still even if its unwise to play Eboue on the right since he is a full back & i keep Kaka on the right, i'm still short of a good left-sided player outside of Europe, any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    That sort of argument might be valid if it were a club side struggling with injuries, but not a world select XI.
    Fair enough, but as i just said i'm still short of a good left-sided player outside of Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    And I thought Kaka played in the hole, not down the right?
    As i said he is good enough to play anywhere in mid-field except for in a holding role since he would be obviously wasted there. Plus from what i have seen of him for AC Milan & Brazil he plays in the hole for his club & for Brazil he plays on the right while Ronaldinho plays in the hole.
    Last edited by aussie; 26-06-2006 at 06:56 AM.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie
    no no no the formation that the 3-5-2 for the rest of the world that i had in mind looks like this:

--------------------------------------------------------GK----------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------CB-----------------------CB---------------------------------------------CB---------------------

--------------------------------------------------------DM---------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------RM------------------------CM-----------CM---------------------------------------------LM-----------

-------------------------------------------------CF------------CF-------------------------------------------------------------

Its the kind of formation Argentina plays, i dunno i thought in the 3-5-2 formation the two wide defenders where referred to as wing backs my mistake. But still even if its unwise to play Eboue on the right since he is a full back & i keep Kaka on the right, i'm still short of a good left-sided player outside of Europe, any suggestions?
    Okay mate, fair enough. Left-sided player outside Europe? I can't help you. Though I shall look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero
    Okay mate, fair enough. Left-sided player outside Europe? I can't help you. Though I shall look into it.
    i think i found one in Ze Roberto, even if he may be a bit old & probably past his best..

Ok, here's my European team of the tournament:

-------------------------------Buffon-----------------------------

Zambrotta--------Cannavaro------Gallas--------Lahm

Pirlo-------------Frings----------Gattuso-------Ronaldo

------------------------Henry------Klose---------------------

Subs:

G: Ricardo, D: Sagnol, D: Senderos, M: Deco, M: Hargreaves, S: Torres, S: Shevchenko
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    harry kewel. maxi lopez.

Quote Originally Posted by aussie

defnsively that formation is far too narrow, you need to drop the midfielders into the wing back role rather than as out and out attacking wing men, one of the forwards then needs to be dropped into central midfield or in the hole in order for that formation to be a proper sucess.

mine would have to be:

Ricardo

Zambrotta Cannavaro Gallas Grosso

J.Cole Pirlo Gattuso Lahm

Zidane

Klose

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby

Subs:

G: Ricardo, D: Sagnol, D: Senderos, M: Deco, M: Hargreaves, S: Torres, S: Shevchenko
    No Zidane seems... problematic.

I'd say Makelele deserves consideration as well, was wonderful in the later games. Agree with most of the team though.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby

Subs:

Hard to argue with much there. There might be an argument for Metzelder at CB over Sagnol on the bench, I thought he played himself well in over the course of the tournament after the mare against Germany, and Pirlo isn't a real winger either so I'd probably go for Malouda there.

I note you have five Italians in the starting line-up despite them being "average"...

Edit: Ribery, not Malouda.
    Last edited by Samuel_Vimes; 10-07-2006 at 03:02 AM.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Quote Originally Posted by sledger
    harry kewel. maxi lopez.
    Maxi Lopez is a tall blond forward who plays for FC Barcelona.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes
    I note you have five Italians in the starting line-up despite them being "average"...
    4 of whom are defensive & it's pretty hard to fault them on that score....

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    No Zidane seems... problematic.

I'd say Makelele deserves consideration as well, was wonderful in the later games. Agree with most of the team though.
    He was my captain until very, very recently.....

Maxi Lopez is a tall blond forward who plays for FC Barcelona.
    crap sorry, maxi rodriguez, maxi lopez is vastly overated.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information