• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When was the zenith of each side?

subshakerz

International Coach
Interesting JB picks the 06/07 Aussie side. From this side of the fence, the 01 and 02/03 sides just appeared untouchable.
The 2006/7 Aussie side that whitewashed the Ashes did look peak stuff. McWarne plus Clark, batting firing on all cylinders.

Even the 2001 and 2002 sides lost dead rubber games.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The England side of late 2010 through to 2012 is the best we’ve had in my time watching cricket.
Its only obvious weakness is the lack of an all rounder which is a tad frustrating given the two greats that were in the sides either side of it.
Yeah, probably this. I loved the 2005 series, but Bell was a passenger in that side, Swann in the later side was much better than Giles, ditto Prior vs. Geraint Jones.

Before my time, I'd pick the 1954/55 Ashes side. Winning 3-1 in Australia isn't easy, especially if you give them a 1-0 start. And the England line-up was absolutely stellar.

shortpitched713

International Captain
I think for Pakistan it would be drawing in WI in 88. A great Imran side.

Close to that would be winning in England in 96 with a high quality side that had many greats in form.
Realizing it's just one series, I might just pick 92 Pakistan that won against England, 1) because it comes with dose of English salt, which is always the best seasoning, and 2) you get a peak, pre back injuries Waqar to pair with a peak level Wasim

The most talented "on paper" turn of the century Pakistan might be interesting as well. I'd want an attack with Shoaib, Saqlain, Wasim, and batting with a pre Sept 2001 Anwar, Inzamam, MoYo(YoYo). Knowing them, they probably lost, when taking the field together.

Last edited:

Ali TT

International Debutant
The 2006/7 Aussie side that whitewashed the Ashes did look peak stuff. McWarne plus Clark, batting firing on all cylinders.

Even the 2001 and 2002 sides lost dead rubber games.
Whitewash or losing a dead rubber is pretty marginal. 2002/3 Ashes was won in 11 days.

I mean I can see why some might view the 2006/7 Aussie side as peak, but the vintage that came before felt more dominant to me. Splitting hairs though.

Athlai

Not Terrible
It's tricky with NZ. You naturally gravitate towards some point in the mid-80's: the series win in Australia or the home series draw v WI. The truth is though that besides Hadlee, Crowe and Wright (and some solid journeymen like Chatfield, Bracewell and Smith) they were pretty ordinary looking sides. The 2022 wtc final side I think probably narrowly shades it.
NZ 2019-2022 has to be it

ma1978

State Captain
India - Kohli team that won the two BG trophies

Pakistan - late 1980s Imran team

England - mid 1950s test eam

Australia - crossing the final frontier

West Indies - Blackwash in England

Sri Lanka - late 1990s, when Murali won them the test in England

South Africa - the Smith, AB, Amla, Kallis, Boucher, Steyn team. Probably beating Australia away

New Zealand - WTC winning team

Bangladesh - win in NZ

shortpitched713

International Captain
Realizing it's just one series, I might just pick 92 Pakistan that won against England, 1) because it comes with dose of English salt, which is always the best seasoning, and 2) you get a peak, pre back injuries Waqar to pair with a peak level Wasim

The most talented "on paper" turn of the century Pakistan might be interesting as well. I'd want an attack with Shoaib, Saqlain, Wasim, and batting with a pre Sept 2001 Anwar, Inzamam, MoYo(YoYo). Knowing them, they probably lost, when taking the field together.
Also, I realize Pakistan briefly had the no 1 ICC Test ranking in 2016. Looking at sides from then, it had middle order strength with a high level Younis Khan and Misbah, and a peak Yasir Shah for spin bowling. But I think in retrospect the best new ball bowler was Mohammad Aamir, so *shrugs*. This was at a time I was watching quite a bit less cricket, so does anyone have any insight on this Pakistan team? Obviously, their short stint was kind of fluky, as this came at a transition period, right after SA gave up a significant stretch as solid holders of the top spot, just wondering where the limited success and strength potential of that Pakistan team was?

subshakerz

International Coach
Also, I realize Pakistan briefly had the no 1 ICC Test ranking in 2016. Looking at sides from then, it had middle order strength with a high level Younis Khan and Misbah, and a peak Yasir Shah for spin bowling. But I think in retrospect the best new ball bowler was Mohammad Aamir, so *shrugs*. This was at a time I was watching quite a bit less cricket, so does anyone have any insight on this Pakistan team? Obviously, their short stint was kind of fluky, as this came at a transition period, right after SA gave up a significant stretch as solid holders of the top spot, just wondering where the limited success and strength potential of that Pakistan team was?
Yes it was a transition. Pakistan were promptly whitewashed in NZ and Aus afterwards. 80s and 90s teams were stronger.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Hard to go past the invincibles for Aus

something like

Barnes
Morris
Bradman
Hassett
Miller
Harvey
Loxton/Johnson
Tallon