• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Quarter Finals Thread

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Fair to say England have much better players now though. I don't think that means he has underperformed or anything but the players being better is probably more important, usually is.
Better players definitely helps - though England still had plenty of match winners when they were stinking up the joint. The one respect in which Southgate really seems to have made a difference is building a positive team culture where the players like playing together. Didn’t get that vibe much during the Rooney-Lampard- Gerrard era.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Kane shouldn’t have taken the 2nd penalty

he did the same vs Frankfurt two months ago and missed the 2nd pen after scoring 1st

this time he was up against the dude he has been practicing every week for years in club football too, odds didn’t favour him scoring another time

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Fair to say England have much better players now though. I don't think that means he has underperformed or anything but the players being better is probably more important, usually is.
Yeah you do but having poorer players doesn't excuse those two performances in particular.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Why do England supporters always look down their noses at other footballing countries and the way they play the game? It's like their players walk around with ten stars on their WC shirts or something.
Do we?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Oh 100%. I would say it's a British thing but I think it's mostly an English and Scottish (to a lesser extent) thing.

I know what Burgey's getting at but I'm confused as to why he's brought it up in the context of England losing to France.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Oh 100%. I would say it's a British thing but I think it's mostly an English and Scottish (to a lesser extent) thing.

I know what Burgey's getting at but I'm confused as to why he's brought it up in the context of England losing to France.
Especially given the winner was scored by a player who's the very epitome of an old fashioned English #9 in everything but nationality and matinee idol looks.

Kane missing the pen kinda drew the sting a little for me. Hard to feel too aggrieved when the national captain and AT (joint) record goalscorer sends a spot kick into row M.

We reached our seeding; can't grumble too much.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Why do England supporters always look down their noses at other footballing countries and the way they play the game? It's like their players walk around with ten stars on their WC shirts or something.
tbf seems to be pretty common among most western yurop countries from what i've seen

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I logged off last night once the village idiots started calling for Southgate's head; apparently it was his fault that the ref make two poor calls in the first half and obviously it was also his fault that Kane missed the second penalty. All this against what is probably the best team in the world. Perhaps they're too young to have watched England for any length of time before Southgate took over, and there is no point in arguing with that level of over-entitled stupidity. But I did find it interesting that Southgate was fairly non-committal about the issue when questioned yesterday. That may be because he wants to think about it once his emotions have settled down. But it may also suggest that he's had enough, especially now that some bright spark decided to publish a picture of his family home, despite being fully aware of the sheer unpleasantness of some people out there. You really couldn't blame Southgate if he decided that enough is enough.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Southgate is a decent manager, probably slightly above average for international sides. I think he’s better than Deschamps.

Swapping him for Eddie Howe might be a good move. It’s a risk because the England job has so many unique challenges, but Howe is a much better manager.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, Howe's the only viable English alternative. I suppose I don't think that he'd want the job this early in his time at Newcastle, but I might be over-thinking things.