• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Black Caps marks out of 10 for WC

jonbrooks

International Debutant
NZ marks out of 10 (performances in knockout phase have heavier rating)

Guppy - 8.5, top scorer in the tournament with a ton and a double. Looked to have weathered the storm in the final only to get out to a loose shot

BMac - 8, both his aggressive batting and captaincy led the way for NZ. However he didn't capitalize on his good starts and failed in the final

Williamson - 5, played one game winning innings but otherwise was ordinary by his own high standards

Taylor - 6.5, struggled through the early stages but contributed runs when it mattered most. I guess it will always be a case of what could have been for NZ had he and Elliot carried on through the PP in the final

Elliot - 8, slow start to the tournament but proved his worth in the semi and final

Anderson - 6, some handy performances with both bat and ball. Go to man for a wicket for most of the tournament. Failed in final

Ronchi - 2, pretty ordinary performance. Dropped catches and didn't contribute with the bat

Southee - 6, had one really good game against England which contributed to almost half his tally for the WC. Otherwise he was expensive

Vettori - 7, game changing ability throughout the tournament. Stemmed the flow of runs on a number of occasions. Was determined with the bat but didn't quite have that batting spark of yesteryear

Boult - 9, Player of the series for NZ. Bowled beautifully throughout the tournament

Henry - 7, played well in both the semi and final given he was playing domestic cricket just days before the semi. I'd have him over Milne any day

Milne - 4, pace ain't everything.

viriya

International Captain
Ronchi, Kane and Southee the disappointments. Ronchi mia the whole tournament, Southee bowling filth after one great performance, Kane was supposed to be better than Smith in ODIs - proved to be mia when it counted.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Largely agree although I think Milne largely did what he was picked to do, plus great catch against England. I've give him a 6.

Southee's 7 wicket bag against England was so good I'd mark him up to a 7 overall.

Anderson scored crucial runs against Sri Lanka and then under massive pressure in the games against Australia (at Eden Park) & South Africa. Picked up handy wickets too, so 7.5.

Elliott started slowly, but performances to get NZ past South Africa and then save us from total humiliation in the final were truly remarkable. On radio Michael Vaughan asked what McCullum had done to turn Elliott into Steve Waugh. I'd give him a 9 just for those performances under white-hot pressure. Plus, his gesture extending a hand to the stricken Dale Steyn became one of the enduring images of the tournament.

Jimbo the giant

U19 12th Man
No way Taylor gets higher than Anderson your tripping, his 40 in the final was nowhere near as important/match defining as Coreys 50 in the semi. Taylor's 40 was actually pretty crap it only looked good against the rest of our pitiful display bar Elliott. (It was still easily the 2nd best innings but hardly warranting extra points in ratings, the rest of his world cup was dire.) He was only surviving any way, Elliott was lapping him and was the one putting pressure back on the Aussies. He also threw it away when he could have actually started taking the game to the aussies. He got out off a crap ball the first of the PP and Anderson and Ronchi had to come out and start with shadows on the pitch. I'd give him a 6.5 for the final maybe but max 5 for the world cup.

Corey pre final was in most peoples World Cup XI's ffs. 5 for Taylor and 7.5 for Anderson

Last edited:

jonbrooks

International Debutant
No way Taylor gets higher than Anderson your tripping, his 40 in the final was nowhere near as important/match defining as Coreys 50 in the semi. Taylor's 40 was actually pretty crap it only looked good against the rest of our pitiful display bar Elliott. (It was still easily the 2nd best innings but hardly warranting extra points in ratings, the rest of his world cup was dire.) He was only surviving any way, Elliott was lapping him and was the one putting pressure back on the Aussies. He also threw it away when he could have actually started taking the game to the aussies. He got out off a crap ball the first of the PP and Anderson and Ronchi had to come out and start with shadows on the pitch. I'd give him a 6.5 for the final maybe but max 5 for the world cup.

Corey pre final was in most peoples World Cup XI's ffs. 5 for Taylor and 7.5 for Anderson
I agree on Corey. I've been a bit harsh on him probably because of his 2nd ball duck in the final. He had a good tournament getting both crucial wickets and runs. Disagree on Taylor though. The runs he did score came at crucial times. Yes, they were not flash but they were very important in the circumstances.

Jimbo the giant

U19 12th Man
I agree on Corey. I've been a bit harsh on him probably because of his 2nd ball duck in the final. He had a good tournament getting both crucial wickets and runs. Disagree on Taylor though. The runs he did score came at crucial times. Yes, they were not flash but they were very important in the circumstances.
Don't get more wrong that 40 was vital at the time, however he did a lot of the hard work and then threw it away when the job wasn't even half done. The problem with Taylor at the moment is he struggles to go though the gears he seems to gut stuck in survival mode and when it comes time to start showing some intent he can't up the tempo and gets out. The way he is batting means he will always be leaving it to someone else to play the match changing innings, his team mates have been carrying him in some of these innings. I kind of wonder if Elliott had been striking at 50 could Taylor have upped his game?

Last edited:

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Don't get more wrong that 40 was vital at the time, however he did a lot of the hard work and then threw it away when the job wasn't even half done. The problem with Taylor at the moment is he struggles to go though the gears he seems to gut stuck in survival mode and when it comes time to start showing some intent he can't up the tempo and gets out. The way he is batting means he will always be leaving it to someone else to play the match changing innings, his team mates have been carrying him in some of these innings. I kind of wonder if Elliott had been striking at 50 could Taylor have upped his game?
From what I've read and heard It appears this is the role Hesson has asked Taylor to carry out.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's little doubt Ronchi was NZ's worst player in the WC...Not only did he go missing with the bat, but thought his keeper was decidedly average throughout. Signs he's just not a big match/pressure player I afraid. I think that amazing 170 vs. a fairly average SL attack led us all into a false sense of security about him.

Last edited:

Jimbo the giant

U19 12th Man
There's little doubt Ronchi was NZ's worst player in the WC...Not only did he go missing with the bat, but thought his keeper was decidedly average throughout. Signs he's just not a big match/pressure player I afraid. I think that amazing 170 vs. a fairly average SL attack led us all into a false sense of security about him.
For sure Ronchi was a bit of a failure all right, Watling for the next cup?

viriya

International Captain
Yea after that game I truly believed NZ could go all the way.. Didn't expect him to do that well, but didn't expect him to be useless either.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I agree basically except I would have stuck the boot into him more with my choice of words - you have chosen to be measured and accurate with your words.
We really needed him to come through in the final and he flaked out on us...would be the way I would put it.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Bit harsh on Ronchi. The only opportunities he got were at the end of the innings where he had to slog. Sure he failed against Aus and SA but that's only 2 genuine failures in my mind, and the dismissal against SA could be counted as unlucky.

He's undoubtedly icing, he just didn't have much opportunity. He was definitely the right choice over Watling to bat 7.

If we want to make the argument for Watling then it would be in the top 5.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Bit harsh on Ronchi. The only opportunities he got were at the end of the innings where he had to slog. Sure he failed against Aus and SA but that's only 2 genuine failures in my mind, and the dismissal against SA could be counted as unlucky.

He's undoubtedly icing, he just didn't have much opportunity. He was definitely the right choice over Watling to bat 7.

If we want to make the argument for Watling then it would be in the top 5.
I think most people see Watling in for Elliott, Latham for McCullum and Neesham/Munro for Ronchi as the main changes for 2019, as far as retirements go.