Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Did New Zealand Choke?

Did New Zealand Choke?

Is playing bad due to the pressure of the ocassion a choke?
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar

Nope, international cricketers are good enough to handle pressure. Anything can happen in a knockout game when there are two evenly matched teams.
    Wrong Time No See.

Cricketer Of The Year AndyZaltzHair's Avatar
    CHOKE is now the official drinks of cricketwebdotnetforum
    Originally Spoken by Brendon McCullum
    You have got to earn the right to be aggressive.
    Supporting XI
    Soumya Sarkar, Liton Das, Pinak Ghosh, Mominul Haque, Mosaddek Hossain, Nazmul Hossain, Shabbir, Nurul Hasan, Saifuddin, Mehedi Miraz, Abu Hider, Taskin Ahmed, Mustafizur Rahman

Quote Originally Posted by AndyZaltzHair View Post
    CHOKE is now the official drinks of cricketwebdotnetforum
    I much prefer classic choke to this new choke.

Was wondering how long it would be before someone asked this question, hardly a surprise that it was one of the forum's intellectual pillars who came up with the goods.
    Shri likes this.
    ​63*

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Come on Lancashire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Let it be known for the record that the font in the top of the picture noted that Kohli was wearing Jimmy Choo shoes and Happy Socks

International Coach Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    It was an overrated NZ batting side.
    dontcloseyoureyes likes this.

I couldn't help posting this after so many SA choke threads and then the question in the other thread asking if India choked

Cricketer Of The Year wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Think Anderson might've had a few tense moments with the nachos at dinner
    dontcloseyoureyes likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Neesham
    Root always sets up the innings well. It's nice having BJ down the order to finish the innings off.
    Exit pursuing a beer

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    It was an overrated NZ batting side.
    We needed one out of Guptill, Williamson & Taylor to go big (120+) and one of the three blasters (McC, Corey & Ronchi) to fire. Elliott played very well. If we'd finished the powerplay at 175/3 it was game on.

Would we have won with Watling opening and keeping, McCullum at 6 and Anderson at 7? Who knows? If Ryder was sober and behaving? If Williamson played as well as he can?

Well done Australia - that intensity of performance (if not behaviour) was magnificent. Well done NZ, we are all proud of you. Now let's win the test series in England and knock over Aus at the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    I couldn't help posting this after so many SA choke threads and then the question in the other thread asking if India choked
    Hint: Neither of the three sides ****ing choked. CW needs to lay off their obession.
    5-0

Want to be the online Don Bradman or Ian Salisbury?
    Then join CW Cricket today. It's what all the cool kids desire.

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy 1988-2014

State 12th Man
    I thought "choking" was where a team is heading / cruising for a win, or are heavy favourites, but find a way to lose. Example, SA in QF 2011, 2-100 chasing only 221, crumble to 172 all out.

NZ were underdogs. At NZ's high point they were 3-150 after 35 overs, heading for 240 - 280, this would only have been a par score.

I think it was more a case of superb bowling and fielding building pressure on the batsmen. In hindsight maybe given the occasion and playing their first game in Australia they would have chosen to bowl first and get into the game that way. The frustrating thing was that as well as Starc bowled, Guptill and Williamson were actually surviving, then got out to fairly soft dismissals. Anderson got a good ball and might have been unfortunate with the shadow across the pitch? Ronchi has had a disapointing tournament given his form in the lead up.

U19 12th Man
    No.

There was nothing in the game to suggest the players wilted. They got outplayed. That was as good a bowling performance as I've ever seen in such a huge game and they did exceptional well to take it to 150-3. When NZ's time came to field, they were super sharp. Boult hit good areas, and Southee replicated the form he had shown outside of the massive performance against England. They looked up for the contest. If there was a window to bring the game back, they would've found it. I'm still somewhat shocked at how ruthless and high quality a game the Aussies were able to bring to such a high-pressure occasion.
    Last edited by 3703; 29-03-2015 at 06:53 PM.

I don't think it was a choke at all.

It's the hardest task in world cricket to go to Australia and beat the Aussies in their own backyard. I compare it to teams coming to New Zealand and playing the All Blacks. More often than not, the opposition go home with their tails between their legs.

Given the fact the pitch conditions were completely different to what NZ had experienced during the tournament, it was just a bridge too far for them. Overall, I think all NZ fans should be over the moon of how they team played throughout the World Cup and the way they conducted themselves as a group. You can't take anyway way from Australia as well. Mitchell Starc especially was just superb.

I'm encouraged by the fact that the Chappell-Hadlee series is back on the table, and hopefully we'll see some great ODI and hopefully Test cricket between the two countries moving forward.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information