Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Did New Zealand Choke?

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    As a team? No. But our we choked on our icing a bit.
    Direbirds FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT

International Regular
    That ball from Faulkner to Coriander was decent though.
    NZTailender likes this.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend OverratedSanity's Avatar
    NZ did brilliantly to recover from that start to put themselves on top at 150/3. Collapse after that just as awful though.

Some disappointing dismissals too... Williamson, Guptill, Anderson all played weird shots.

TNT
    State Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by RossTaylorsBox View Post
    Another 205 runs, yeah sounds about right. They were smashing the bowling.
    If you nick it walk

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    I don't know why people keep replying to Francis and TNT. Go read old threads ffs.
    Johnners likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    I need u like Henry Nicholls needs batting school
    He was terrible in that series
    I need u like Ross Taylor needed to be fit
    He's way better than Henry Nicholls
    And now all I can think about is your smile
    and that ****** test series too
    Losing to Australia sucked and I miss you
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    As a team? No. But our we choked on our icing a bit.
    It's no surprising that the player who stood up - Hairy Jav - was all along the cushion between the cake and icing in this side.

(olllllllld school CWers to get this reference)
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

International Debutant Shady Slim's Avatar
    nope

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I don't think it was a choke at all.

It's the hardest task in world cricket to go to Australia and beat the Aussies in their own backyard. I compare it to teams coming to New Zealand and playing the All Blacks. More often than not, the opposition go home with their tails between their legs.

Given the fact the pitch conditions were completely different to what NZ had experienced during the tournament, it was just a bridge too far for them. Overall, I think all NZ fans should be over the moon of how they team played throughout the World Cup and the way they conducted themselves as a group. You can't take anyway way from Australia as well. Mitchell Starc especially was just superb.

I'm encouraged by the fact that the Chappell-Hadlee series is back on the table, and hopefully we'll see some great ODI and hopefully Test cricket between the two countries moving forward.
    Well said. Let this be our answer. I have nothing to add. Especially the part about the pitch. I think that was a huge factor. Had the game been in Aotearoa then it would have been a better affair.

I think before the World Cup started I doubted we could beat Aussie in Aussie, but thought we could make the final. I really wanted India to win the semi as I knew we could potentially beat them in the final.
    1) Ross is Boss.
    2) See point 1.

Leading the charge against nuances being used in posts.

Overrated XI M Bracewell, Burns, Rahane, Don Voges, Bairstow, Alecz Day, Donovan Grobelaar, Luke Ronchi, Faulkner, Dan Christian, Permaul

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I don't think it was a choke at all.

It's the hardest task in world cricket to go to Australia and beat the Aussies in their own backyard. I compare it to teams coming to New Zealand and playing the All Blacks. More often than not, the opposition go home with their tails between their legs.

Given the fact the pitch conditions were completely different to what NZ had experienced during the tournament, it was just a bridge too far for them. Overall, I think all NZ fans should be over the moon of how they team played throughout the World Cup and the way they conducted themselves as a group. You can't take anyway way from Australia as well. Mitchell Starc especially was just superb.

I'm encouraged by the fact that the Chappell-Hadlee series is back on the table, and hopefully we'll see some great ODI and hopefully Test cricket between the two countries moving forward.
    Does Australia hold the Chappell-Hadlee trophy again?

I think we would have dicked India in the final Hurricane. Only one attack in the world has been able to maintain the class and intensity required to bowl us out cheap, and even then it took world class bowling from three or four blokes including some inspired spells to do it.

But we weren't playing India because they, like us, fell short. It happens. New Zealand had it in them to play better last night but even the smallest mistake against that bowling spells doom. Australia were too good.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I think we would have dicked India in the final Hurricane. Only one attack in the world has been able to maintain the class and intensity required to bowl us out cheap, and even then it took world class bowling from three or four blokes including some inspired spells to do it.

But we weren't playing India because they, like us, fell short. It happens. New Zealand had it in them to play better last night but even the smallest mistake against that bowling spells doom. Australia were too good.
    Yet Elliott and Taylor handled them fine. Why did so many other people get ducks. Kane's dismissal in particular completely baffles me.

the dismissal was sad but i thought guptill and kane batted beautiflly until they got out and without their resistance taylor and elliott are more vulnerable.

i said to dan on FB while watching that that was the most intense i've seen guppy and probably the best he'd played all tournament. everything was moving and he was doing everything he needed to do and looked very likely to fight through and go big. then maxwell...
    Athlai likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    the dismissal was sad but i thought guptill and kane batted beautiflly until they got out and without their resistance taylor and elliott are more vulnerable.

i said to dan on FB while watching that that was the most intense i've seen guppy and probably the best he'd played all tournament. everything was moving and he was doing everything he needed to do and looked very likely to fight through and go big. then maxwell...
    nice post

School Boy/Girl Captain
    I said it before and I'll say it again. Australia was disrupted by the washout and subsequent fortnight without cricket when they played New Zealand the first time. It was obvious from the manner of most of their dismissals. But New Zealand's struggle against the pace of Starc and Cummins was a pointer to what would ensue if they met again.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    No, Australia choked..... ON A HUGE MOTHER****LOAD OF ALCOHOL.
    Shady Slim likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information