• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ok, so seriously, how was this WC overall?

How was it?

• Best WC ever

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Great

Votes: 27 51.9%
  • Mediocre

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Worse than the one in which Bob Woolmer passed away

Votes: 3 5.8%

• Total voters

smash84

The Tiger King
This world cup was ok. Although it a lack of close matches made it a lot less enjoyable than it should have been.

Would still rate it above 2007 WC obviously but I think I enjoyed 1987 2011 1999 1992 1996 and 2003 more than this.

The ICC need to do something about the fielding restrictions in the last 10 overs and something to encourage reverse swing to bring some balance back into the game.

thierry henry

International Coach
I thought it was awesome but now I've read this thread and it turns out it actually sucked. Damn, just wasted 6 weeks of my life.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Was definitely a good WC, still not a fan of the format as it is and I'd say the KO matches of 2011 were much much better than this one. The rules as they are definitely suited the NZ/AUS conditions which helped make it the event it turned out to be. The biggest gain from this WC was the increased standard of associate nations compared to the last WC.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Decent, but so many knockout games being easy victories takes a fair bit away from it. Then again, SA vs NZ might have made that worth it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Loved it.

Minnows were better - less 80 all outs. Games were much more fun to watch. Plus Afghanistan and Ireland were awesome.

But let's not shy away from how mediocre the knock-outs were. Great semi, awesome individual performance from Guptil in one quarter and that's about it. Oh and Wahab was delicious vs. Australia.

Preferred the knock-outs more in 2011. Aus vs. Ind qf, NZ vs. SA qf, and Ind vs. Pak semi were gun as. Ind vs. SL final was edge of seat until the last 25 overs or so.

Plus, 2011 had Ireland defeating England. Never forget that.

I've liked every World Cup except 2007 though so don't mind me. And even 2007, if it didn't end in such a farce it would have probably won me over anyway.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
yeah decent tournament couple of close knock out games would have tipped it to the good cat.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wahab and SA-NZ were one of the greatest WC moments and basically carried the rest of the ****e knockouts.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
The responses after Australia winning can basically be summarised as:

NZ: Congrats, Aus!
Ind: Congrats Aus!
SA: Congrats Aus!
SL: Congrats Aus!
Pak: Congrats Aus!
WI: Congrats Aus!
Eng: Congrats Aus!
Zim: Congrats Aus!
Ban: But that was not a no-ball :(

:ph34r:

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
How do you compare tournaments? and is it worth comparing them? I dunno. It always seems rather pointless to me. Looking at this one.

It seems like Aus and NZ were good hosts and it seemed to be a big event in those countries with plenty of interest from noncricket fans. Decent wickets and weather. Success.
Hosts making final always keep interest levels high in a tournament. Success.
Scandals or problems? No not really. ICC making the next tournament a 10 team tournament was the biggest issue. Relative Success.
Standard of cricket? Likes of De Villiers, Maxwell and Starc seem to be moving the game forward. Aus and NZ moving the ODI game forward with attacking cricket and tactics. Some teams (Eng, WI, Pak) seem to have gone against the natural progression of sport and regressed from previous competitions. Neutral.
Competition? Well there weren't many close matches and outside of NZ and SA there didn't look like there was a team capable of getting close to Australia. Failure.

So I guess overall a pretty decent tournament.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
It was fantastic as a wc in the sense that the new ODI rules means that part timers cannot be 'hidden' that much like before. I heard two commentators mention that a lot of times, bowlers had to focus on taking wickets rather than just stop the runs, else teams would run away with it. It made for compelling viewing. We saw some really good skills on display and minnows were at a much better level than before. These aspects meant that it was really good to watch the games more often than not. The cricket played was very good. I enjoyed watching the games.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Decent, but so many knockout games being easy victories takes a fair bit away from it. Then again, SA vs NZ might have made that worth it.
Australia-Pakistan is definitely one of those matches where the scorecard's made it look a lot easier than reality.