• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ok, so seriously, how was this WC overall?

How was it?

• Best WC ever

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Great

Votes: 27 51.9%
  • Mediocre

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Worse than the one in which Bob Woolmer passed away

Votes: 3 5.8%

• Total voters

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Better than 2007, obviously, but I definitely enjoyed 96,99 and 2011 more.

Needed a few more thrillers, really.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Lots of great moments, but the WC had the potential to be so much more.

I suppose it's disappointing because there were a lot of potential great moments that never materialised. Ireland making the QFs. Afghanistan/UAE/Scotland upsetting a Test nation. India making the finals. NZ winning the cup. There was a lot of build up without a satisfying climax.

So many games billed to be great contests on paper also failed to deliver. And the semi-finalists were more or less who every pegged before the WC.

There were good games and good cricket, but overall...yea, disappointing.
DWTA. The predictions thread. India made tons of people taste it by making the SF.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Loved watching Rubel Hussain bowl, Mahmudullah bat, Trent Bolt and Starc bowl those unplayable deliveries, ABD play that super inning, the fire of McCullum and the kiwis, Wahab Riaz bowl those bullets and last, but not the least, Akmal take those catches.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
2011 world cup wasn't good, India were heavy favorites and they won it, also a lot of flat wickets in that world cup. This one was good in terms of attendance and the people in NZ getting amped up for cricket, there were some good performances, but I think the 2 new ball experiment just made it a tad predictable, it also pretty much killed reverse swing and made it difficult for spinners.. It was a decent world cup, would have been better with a more healthy Pakistan and a competitive west indies squad.

1999, 1992 and 1996 remain my favorites.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Loved watching Rubel Hussain bowl, Mahmudullah bat, Trent Bolt and Starc bowl those unplayable deliveries, ABD play that super inning, the fire of McCullum and the kiwis, Wahab Riaz bowl those bullets and last, but not the least, Akmal take those catches.
Oh, and that Vettori catch was fantastic.

OverratedSanity

2011 world cup wasn't good, India were heavy favorites and they won it, also a lot of flat wickets in that world cup.
Such a myth ffs. There were hardly that many massive scores and some of the best matches in the cup were low scoring thrillers. (NZ vs Sa quarter, Eng vs SA, Eng vs WI)

Had a lot of one-sdied matches just like this WC, but a lot more thrillers too.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Just missing extra thriller matches really.
The range of scores in the early 90s used to be 150-250s which increased a bit in the late 90s. Now it's 150s-400s. That creates too many uneven matches. This is going to happen more and more regardless of the tournament structure, which needs improving as well.

Zinzan

Yeah, I'd rate it about a 7.5/10. A thoroughly enjoyable WC without quite being breathtakingly brilliant throughout. But did have plenty of incredible individual moments , eg. the NZ/SA semi, Eng/Bang, Ireland/Windies etc.

If the final was a thriller & went down to the wire, would have been closer to a 9.

Teja.

Global Moderator
2011 world cup wasn't good, India were heavy favorites and they won it, also a lot of flat wickets in that world cup. This one was good in terms of attendance and the people in NZ getting amped up for cricket, there were some good performances, but I think the 2 new ball experiment just made it a tad predictable, it also pretty much killed reverse swing and made it difficult for spinners.. It was a decent world cup, would have been better with a more healthy Pakistan and a competitive west indies squad.

1999, 1992 and 1996 remain my favorites.
No 300+ scores across 7 full KO matches in the 2011 matches.

Flat pitches lol.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
Such a myth ffs. There were hardly that many massive scores and some of the best matches in the cup were low scoring thrillers. (NZ vs Sa quarter, Eng vs SA, Eng vs WI)

Had a lot of one-sdied matches just like this WC, but a lot more thrillers too.
Sure, if you are only comparing the last world cup to the current one, 2011 still had heavy scoring and short boundaries. It was also a rather weak world cup because of the quality of the sides, India were clear favorites among a group of rather mediocre ODI sides (Australian side was aging too). 1996, 1999 and 2003 had a lot better competition.

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
7 out of 8 knockout games being one sided stops it having any chance of being a great tournament. The associates were easily the best thing about the group stages and made the first couple of weeks was a lot of fun, there were also some amazing individual performances, but overall it was no more than a decent World Cup for me. The time slot is also a bit rubbish for the UK, not that much could be done about that.

I really can't wait for a Test though.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Sure, if you are only comparing the last world cup to the current one, 2011 still had heavy scoring and short boundaries. It was also a rather weak world cup because of the quality of the sides, India were clear favorites among a group of rather mediocre ODI sides. 1996, 1999 and 2003 had a lot better competition.
India were in a spot of bother at some stage in each of the 3 KO matches. And India actually lost a game to SA and drew against England. Don't know how you can say India were "clear favourites".

Whether that makes the world cup good or bad, I don't know.

OverratedSanity

India were in a spot of bother at some stage in each of the 3 KO matches. And India actually lost a game to SA and drew against England. Don't know how you can say India were "clear favourites".

Oh, we definitely were pre-tournament favourites. But don't think we were anywhere close to as dominant in that WC as Australia were in 03 and 07.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I really can't wait for a Test though.
Looking forward to Windies v England, even if Windies might have some players missing, as they usually do for their tests nowadays. Watching batsmen and bowlers over larger periods at the crease is some thing I am really looking forward to atm.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I really enjoyed it. While it's fair to say that the majority of the most memorable moments were stellar individual performances rather than great contests, the great contests we did get were some absolute classics. The quality of the cricket was very high, and the fact that it was a batsman's World Cup with so many high scores meant that top quality bowling was appreciated all the more - evidenced by the fact that the Player of the Tournament (and probably the runner-up too) was a bowler.

Thumbs up from me.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

I don't think you know what that word means.