Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Did South Africa choke?

Cricket Web Staff Member gvenkat's Avatar

Did South Africa choke?

There seems to be a storm in the social media and everywhere, If they really choked. Some say they did, Some say they did not. The very definition of choking "is the failure of team to win a game or tournament when the team had been strongly favored to win and squandered a large lead in the late stages of the event".

Although neither happened here, SA missed two run outs which they would have done it 9/10 and a catch that they fluffed. Not to mention their bizarre selection of Philander ahead of Abott.

They did fail in their strongest suite. I personally think they choked under the pressure and failed to grab moments that mattered most. Thoughts...

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend OverratedSanity's Avatar
    As one of the pre-eminent members in the "SA historically have been chokers at World Cups" club,

No.
    _Ed_ and jcas0167 like this.

Nope. Not even close.

If your definition of choke includes this game then 90% of cricket games involve chokes, which is ridiculous.
    jcas0167 likes this.

They lost one of the all-time classic World Cup matches to an outstanding team in great form who were marginally better than they were on the day. To even consider calling this a choke is beyond ridiculous.

tl;dr - No FFS
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

Nah, they didn't choke this time.

They just got outplayed by a comparable (or perhaps even slightly better) outfit

I can't remember when was the last time I saw opening like Baz yesterday in a world cup knockout. Its bad luck when you play well and still come up against a team that;s going to blow you away
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

jan
    No. They just werent as tough as NZ. Thats it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bun View Post
    Darn, at his age, I didn't know one needed to insert and ejaculate manship in womanship to create childship!
    enthusiasm > skill, max two wides per over!

International Vice-Captain Niall's Avatar
    Amla choked which when you consider his long list of failures in knock out games in limited overs cricket was to be expected I suppose.

They had chances and just didn't take them, although to be fair it wasn't a perfect NZ performance either, AB rode his luck when batting and yeah less said about Taylor the better..

International Debutant anil1405's Avatar
    Both teams batted well
    Both teams bowled well in patches
    Both teams leaked runs in patches
    Both teams made mistakes while fielding

If there was one thing that separated the two teams today it was nerves. And Elliott managed to stay calm and see his team through the finish line.

People calling this a choke are either those who do not appreciate the sport or are just taking the piss.

Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    As one of the pre-eminent members in the "SA historically have been chokers at World Cups" club,

No.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeGee View Post
    Nope. Not even close.

If your definition of choke includes this game then 90% of cricket games involve chokes, which is ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    They lost one of the all-time classic World Cup matches to an outstanding team in great form who were marginally better than they were on the day. To even consider calling this a choke is beyond ridiculous.

tl;dr - No FFS
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Nah, they didn't choke this time.

They just got outplayed by a comparable (or perhaps even slightly better) outfit

I can't remember when was the last time I saw opening like Baz yesterday in a world cup knockout. Its bad luck when you play well and still come up against a team that;s going to blow you away
    Quote Originally Posted by jan View Post
    No. They just werent as tough as NZ. Thats it.
    We may have reached a consensus. This thread has nothing more positive to offer tbh. Just end it here.
    jcas0167 and zorax like this.

International Regular Swingpanzee's Avatar
    yup they choked

happy?

ffs.

International Coach
    No. I think rain cost them more than choking, both sides also made numerous errors (high pressure game, so expected) as well as some excellent cricket.
    jcas0167 likes this.

No.

Next question.
    do you think people will be allowed to make violins?
    who's going to make the violins?

forever 63*

People condescendingly shouting down the mere suggestion is getting on my nerves. At least hear out other opinions ffs. No it was obviously not a choke but you should also be willing to see how others might look at it that way(fielding errors at important points in the game maybe if I were to play the devil's advocate). Correct them rudely before putting them down. Or you look like an idiot with his fingers in his ears and his nose upturned.
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    "Still waiting for bole trekking Marayyye". Keep Kumar up in the third umpires box please,its hilarious. Him almost screwing up a DRS referral a definite highlight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Ashwin is like one of those paintings whose eye always follows you around the room. He'd be hell in a court room. The judge and the witness would always think he's lookong at both of them at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    You are basically saying he would have made an amazing lawyer. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    No im saying he's partly cross-eyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    People condescendingly shouting down the mere suggestion is getting on my nerves. At least hear out other opinions ffs. No it was obviously not a choke but you should also be willing to see how others might look at it that way(fielding errors at important points in the game maybe if I were to play the devil's advocate). Correct them rudely before putting them down. Or you look like an idiot with his fingers in his ears and his nose upturned.
    This is why people aren't giving it the time of day. The only reason this could be called a choke is because it's SA, nothing that happened is choke-y that doesn't happen to every team on the wrong side of a tight pressure situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    Yeah but it obviously wasn't a choke. Which is all everyone's been saying.

Edit: And who was rude? Everyone's been as polite as possible considering how inexplicably sensitive the choke word is

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information