Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Did South Africa choke?

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    This is why people aren't giving it the time of day. The only reason this could be called a choke is because it's SA, nothing that happened is choke-y that doesn't happen to every team on the wrong side of a tight pressure situation.
    One error at an important moment is ok but that dropped catch of Elliott, the runout missed by AB, keeper failing to hit the stumps twice when Vettori and Elliott sneaked a bye 2 times etc are valid criticisms now that we have all calmed down. Again, "I" am not saying it was a choke but I wouldn't be so quick to shut people up who might think that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    "Still waiting for bole trekking Marayyye". Keep Kumar up in the third umpires box please,its hilarious. Him almost screwing up a DRS referral a definite highlight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Ashwin is like one of those paintings whose eye always follows you around the room. He'd be hell in a court room. The judge and the witness would always think he's lookong at both of them at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    You are basically saying he would have made an amazing lawyer. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    No im saying he's partly cross-eyed.

But that happens all the time in pressure situations. It's not like the whole team had a collective brain-fade.
    do you think people will be allowed to make violins?
    who's going to make the violins?

forever 63*

Edit: And who was rude? Everyone's been as polite as possible considering how inexplicably sensitive the choke word is
    We may have reached a consensus. This thread has nothing more positive to offer tbh. Just end it here.
    You were. Not rude but condescending. Some others were rude to other posters in the match thread(lol look at me talking about people being rude to each other)

International Debutant anil1405's Avatar
    Proteas did not miss any chance in the last over. Elliott was home on both occasions and Vettori being run out in the 4th ball wouldn't have made any difference to Elliott's six the following delivery.

Maybe it just sounds good to add in to the list of chances missed by Proteas to consider it a 'choke' but thats absolute rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by anil1405 View Post
    Elliott was home on both occasions
    No he wasn't.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend OverratedSanity's Avatar
    I do find it really strange how the C word has become so damn taboo in a way, though. So in a sense, I agree with Shri a bit. There is this feeling that people get annoyed really quickly when the C word is used when it shouldn't. It annoys me too, but even when it's used legitimately people (from all countries) get really, really sensitive. The word touches a nerve somehow.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to be condescending. Just being honest that the thread would just get annoying quickly... because I don't think anyone who watched the game could honestly call it a choke.

Had NZ beaten Australia or India or any other side in a similar match, would people even bring the choke argument? No. The entire choke debate is taking place only because it is SA. And precisely that answers the question. It was not a choke.
    "Cricket is an art. Like all arts it has a technical foundation. To enjoy it does not require technical knowledge, but analysis that is not technically based is mere impressionism."
    - C.L.R. James

Cricket Web Staff Member gvenkat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Had NZ beaten Australia or India or any other side in a similar match, would people even bring the choke argument? No. The entire choke debate is taking place only because it is SA. And precisely that answers the question. It was not a choke.
    That's the whole point. India and Australia have won many clutch games before and them failing a one-off game cannot be considered a choke. SA have repeatedly failed at crunch moments.

I'm still conflicted as to thinking if they choked and that's why I wanted to get some thoughts. What do you call some one who does not grab crucial moments not once, not twice, but three times in a game?

International Debutant anil1405's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    No he wasn't.
    There is no evidence to convince me that he wasn't home. I wouldn't buy into that.

NZ missed their chances too at crucial stages so doesn't that count?

Plus South Africa were so good in the field that they saved 20 odd runs in a small ground which ensured the game went till the end. People are least bothered to consider that.

Cricket Web Staff Member gvenkat's Avatar
    One error at an important moment is ok but that dropped catch of Elliott, the runout missed by AB, keeper failing to hit the stumps twice when Vettori and Elliott sneaked a bye 2 times etc are valid criticisms now that we have all calmed down. Again, "I" am not saying it was a choke but I wouldn't be so quick to shut people up who might think that way.
    The emotions took over everyone and they saw people crying on the field and don't want to twist the knife with the C word. But in reality that is what happened here.

Not calling it a choke myself.

Saw the highlights again, drop on last ball of 42nd over was so important at the end. Imagine going into the last over needing 14 in an over without Elliot.
    RIP Phil Hughes. Forever 63*

Jesus christ
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

cpr

In light of the contest, NZ missing two early catches, Williamson not catching AB, Williamson not running out AB (though it does look like he might've been back by the slightest of margins) - as most said a high pressure game these things happen and even themselves out (both between teams and the times the team creates a breakthrough out of nothing).

TBH even asking the choke question is poor when weighing up the game as a whole, and is a bit of an insult to SA and her fans. Its the kind of headline screaming attitude taken by FOX News/Daily Mail types to create 'debate' (contraversy) when half a brain cell can tell it isn't there.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    In light of the contest, NZ missing two early catches, Williamson not catching AB, Williamson not running out AB (though it does look like he might've been back by the slightest of margins) - as most said a high pressure game these things happen and even themselves out (both between teams and the times the team creates a breakthrough out of nothing).

TBH even asking the choke question is poor when weighing up the game as a whole, and is a bit of an insult to SA and her fans. Its the kind of headline screaming attitude taken by FOX News/Daily Mail types to create 'debate' (contraversy) when half a brain cell can tell it isn't there.
    The sad truth is no matter what we believe, the tag won't leave them until they play the perfect game in a high pressure WC KO. Its would be an insult to them every ****ing time no doubt but people are still going to keep asking the question till they win a WC. They might be wrong but they will also be the majority.

cpr
    I suppose, especially given the arsenal of attacking batsmen they currently have, they will always be seen as under performing if they don't win. However its not giving credit for a fantastic batting performance by NZ really - again detractors don't see the oppositions strengths.

However on here I dare say we are intelligent and impartial enough to look past the label and give credit where its due.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information