• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mills must play

GGG

State Captain
Yeah Mills for Southee would ideal, been very average since the England game, hope I am wrong but I also have a feeling he will go for plenty.

Flem274*

123/5
if the reverse swing stuff that will destroy our batsmen at the death is true then we want southee in the team

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah Mills for Southee would ideal, been very average since the England game, hope I am wrong but I also have a feeling he will go for plenty.
Me too. Thought I was the only one feeling this way. I hope I'm wrong, but I can see Australia really picking on Southee & they'll be nowhere to hide.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
This "drop Southee" rubbish is the same knee-jerking, short-term thinking, panic-fueled foolery as the calls to drop Guptill and Taylor earlier. You don't drop class, we should have learned that by now.

Zinzan

Yeah, I did say I was 75% trolling & 25% serious :p Truth be told I'd still probably stick with Southee (mainly since Mills hasn't had any game time at all), but I am genuinely concerned he's going to get a spanking.

However had Mills had some game time in the WC & had been bowling as well as he did against Pakistan in early Feb, I'd be mighty tempted to look at the horses for courses approach.

Daemon

Really hope he doesn't play. Don't want NZ's WC win to have a question mark over it when he eventually gets banned for chucking later on.

thierry henry

International Coach
Trolling because it'll never happen, serious because it'd be a pretty good thing.

I will be stoked if Southee goes for less than 6RPO.
ummmm....

After the England game Southee was completely awful. It's almost inconceivable that Mills could have been any worse.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
ummmm....

After the England game Southee was completely awful. It's almost inconceivable that Mills could have been any worse.
Yeah dropping Southee for Mills would've been a fair call, but it's a tough to unsettle the side so late into it. I know we've had this argument before but I think Hesson and the selectors understand the mental influence of keeping an unchanged lineup (apart from Milne obvs).

thierry henry

International Coach
Yeah dropping Southee for Mills would've been a fair call, but it's a tough to unsettle the side so late into it. I know we've had this argument before but I think Hesson and the selectors understand the mental influence of keeping an unchanged lineup (apart from Milne obvs).
I never expected it to happen and Southee was always in my first XI leading into the WC but I'm really just making the point that his position as the unquestioned leader of the attack doesn't really make sense in ODI cricket. It's not like Southee has an outstanding record in the format. If anyone deserves that tag in this format it's Mills. If you're gonna say stuff like "you don't drop class" or "Southee is a proven performer" then the same applies even more so to Mills, but (inexplicably imo) he just doesn't get given that sacred-cow status.

I also reckon there's this perception that Mills' bowling style is "old-fashioned" and this was a WC where "average bowling got smashed". I think what we've seen is that when Southee is not on top of his game his 135kph out-swingers can start to look very gentle too.

Anyway, onwards and upwards and I'm hoping for 8-10 years of Boult/Southee dominating the world in all formats.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
I never expected it to happen and Southee was always in my first XI leading into the WC but I'm really just making the point that his position as the unquestioned leader of the attack doesn't really make sense in ODI cricket. It's not like Southee has an outstanding record in the format. If anyone deserves that tag in this format it's Mills. If you're gonna say stuff like "you don't drop class" or "Southee is a proven performer" then the same applies even more so to Mills, but (inexplicably imo) he just doesn't get given that sacred-cow status.

I also reckon there's this perception that Mills' bowling style is "old-fashioned" and this was a WC where "average bowling got smashed". I think what we've seen is that when Southee is not on top of his game his 135kph out-swingers can start to look very gentle too.

Anyway, onwards and upwards and I'm hoping for 8-10 years of Boult/Southee dominating the world in all formats.
I think we definitely saw Southee crack under pressure. His dominant test form has possibly diminished his ability to cope with batsmen not letting him settle, which would explain his success against England, who were the most passive batting lineup in the competition. In hindsight Mills would've been a better option from the start of the tournament, but I don't think backing Southee was the wrong call either. It just didn't pay off.

jcas0167

International Debutant
I think we definitely saw Southee crack under pressure. His dominant test form has possibly diminished his ability to cope with batsmen not letting him settle, which would explain his success against England, who were the most passive batting lineup in the competition. In hindsight Mills would've been a better option from the start of the tournament, but I don't think backing Southee was the wrong call either. It just didn't pay off.
He probably did better at the last world cup and bowled more yorkers IIRC. His test form subsequently fell away though.