Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Mills must play

Cricketer Of The Year wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thierry henry View Post
    ummmm....

After the England game Southee was completely awful. It's almost inconceivable that Mills could have been any worse.
    Yeah dropping Southee for Mills would've been a fair call, but it's a tough to unsettle the side so late into it. I know we've had this argument before but I think Hesson and the selectors understand the mental influence of keeping an unchanged lineup (apart from Milne obvs).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Neesham
    Root always sets up the innings well. It's nice having BJ down the order to finish the innings off.
    Exit pursuing a beer

International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wellAlbidarned View Post
    Yeah dropping Southee for Mills would've been a fair call, but it's a tough to unsettle the side so late into it. I know we've had this argument before but I think Hesson and the selectors understand the mental influence of keeping an unchanged lineup (apart from Milne obvs).
    I never expected it to happen and Southee was always in my first XI leading into the WC but I'm really just making the point that his position as the unquestioned leader of the attack doesn't really make sense in ODI cricket. It's not like Southee has an outstanding record in the format. If anyone deserves that tag in this format it's Mills. If you're gonna say stuff like "you don't drop class" or "Southee is a proven performer" then the same applies even more so to Mills, but (inexplicably imo) he just doesn't get given that sacred-cow status.

I also reckon there's this perception that Mills' bowling style is "old-fashioned" and this was a WC where "average bowling got smashed". I think what we've seen is that when Southee is not on top of his game his 135kph out-swingers can start to look very gentle too.

Anyway, onwards and upwards and I'm hoping for 8-10 years of Boult/Southee dominating the world in all formats.

State Captain

Anyway, onwards and upwards and I'm hoping for 8-10 years of Boult/Southee dominating the world in all formats.
    ODI attack of Henry/Boult/Milne also looks pretty tasty going forward (hate that term btw)

Cricketer Of The Year wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    I never expected it to happen and Southee was always in my first XI leading into the WC but I'm really just making the point that his position as the unquestioned leader of the attack doesn't really make sense in ODI cricket. It's not like Southee has an outstanding record in the format. If anyone deserves that tag in this format it's Mills. If you're gonna say stuff like "you don't drop class" or "Southee is a proven performer" then the same applies even more so to Mills, but (inexplicably imo) he just doesn't get given that sacred-cow status.

I also reckon there's this perception that Mills' bowling style is "old-fashioned" and this was a WC where "average bowling got smashed". I think what we've seen is that when Southee is not on top of his game his 135kph out-swingers can start to look very gentle too.

I think we definitely saw Southee crack under pressure. His dominant test form has possibly diminished his ability to cope with batsmen not letting him settle, which would explain his success against England, who were the most passive batting lineup in the competition. In hindsight Mills would've been a better option from the start of the tournament, but I don't think backing Southee was the wrong call either. It just didn't pay off.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Zinzan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuller Pilch View Post
    ODI attack of Henry/Boult/Milne also looks pretty tasty going forward (hate that term btw)
    Agree..would be 'the' attack next time we play an ODI in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by wellAlbidarned View Post
    I think we definitely saw Southee crack under pressure. His dominant test form has possibly diminished his ability to cope with batsmen not letting him settle, which would explain his success against England, who were the most passive batting lineup in the competition. In hindsight Mills would've been a better option from the start of the tournament, but I don't think backing Southee was the wrong call either. It just didn't pay off.
    He probably did better at the last world cup and bowled more yorkers IIRC. His test form subsequently fell away though.

GGG
    He will come right again in a couple of years.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information