• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Rain Interrupted Idea

Flametree

International 12th Man
Just pondering the NZ - SA semi-final... what do posters think of this idea?

With 14 overs to be lost after South Africa had batted 38 overs before the rain.... how about... rather than play 43-vs-43 overs, why not let the team batting first bat out their 50 overs, then set the team batting second a target with 36 overs to bat.

I think D/L is reasonably uncontroversial about setting a reduced over target that is as equivalently difficult as the total made in 50 overs by the team batting first. (Though I do wonder how D/L copes with the recent escalation in scores.)

What to me at least is unclear is the rationale for saying in effect that "if South Africa had known they would have only 43 overs rather than 50 when they started their innings, they would have scored x runs (16 in this match) more than they did by the time of the 38th over when the rain came, without losing any more wickets".

So to reduce the amount of artificiality in the process, why not let one whole innings play out naturally, then you only have to set a target, which seems to be a fairly easy statistical exercise.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Nice idea. Only works if rains happens the once and in the same or similar time as today. What about if after 11 overs of the match, it rains for a couple of hours and there is real threat of rain later in the match. Should the first team still bat 50 overs?

biased indian

International Coach
i think system looks only at the current status of the game..they should in corporate a mechanism which will factor how the team batting has been going on about the inngs ..say in today's case SA had just started to accelerate and they should get an additional weightage for that similarly a team who was 180 for no lose and suddenly lost 3 wickets also would get same par score which is not ideal they would have to rebuilt their inngs

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I think the proposed four 25 overs innings idea makes better sense for rain affected innings.

In today's match, SA would have batted 25 overs followed by 3 overs worth change-over and then NZ's 10 overs before the rain. On resumption, the loss of 14 overs would have given NZ 15 more overs in their first innings and then 18 overs apiece for both teams in the second dig. SA would therefore have had 18 overs of batting to adapt to an altered game plan rather than the 5 overs they had today. D/L/S still applies to compensate for the extra 15 overs of batting that SA had uninformed of the rain to come.

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I think the proposed four 25 overs innings idea makes better sense for rain affected innings.

In today's match, SA would have batted 25 overs followed by 3 overs worth change-over and then NZ's 10 overs before the rain. On resumption, the loss of 14 overs would have given NZ 15 more overs in their first innings and then 18 overs apiece for both teams in the second dig. SA would therefore have had 18 overs of batting to adapt to an altered game plan rather than the 5 overs they had today. D/L/S still applies to compensate for the extra 15 overs of batting that SA had uninformed of the rain to come.
What if it rains in the 68th over and 7 overs are lost?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I didn't say it was a well-thought out idea ok.

It partly alleviates the imbalance in case of rain within the first 50 overs tough.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Duckworth-Lewis professional edition works just fine. Today's match was very fair IMO.

Being a Statistician, DL is probably the only area in cricket where I am reasonably happy with the way statistics has been applied.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why as it was a semi final could they not have just had a full 50 over match with a reserve day in case they needed it?

Same for the final. Get a full 50 over match in and no complaints either way.

biased indian

International Coach
They already get an additional weightage, it's why New Zealand had to score 298.
My weightage was for the situation of the game.when they came off. a team who' was scoring at 8 an over for last 10 overs for no loss and a team who just lost 2 wickets in the over before they came off get the same par score

in todays game SA was 216/3 with FAF on 80+ and ABD on 60+ say another day the same batsmen where on crease but both were 1 not out the revised score would have been the same 264 in 38 overs

Last edited:

Redbacks

International Captain
i think system looks only at the current status of the game..they should in corporate a mechanism which will factor how the team batting has been going on about the inngs ..say in today's case SA had just started to accelerate and they should get an additional weightage for that similarly a team who was 180 for no lose and suddenly lost 3 wickets also would get same par score which is not ideal they would have to rebuilt their inngs
They use data from previous matches to come up with the weightings. I assume over time the weightings will reflect more and more how teams are able to accelerate harder in the late overs compared to 5 years ago.

Julian87

State Captain
Why as it was a semi final could they not have just had a full 50 over match with a reserve day in case they needed it?

Same for the final. Get a full 50 over match in and no complaints either way.
I've always wondered why day-night games seem so static in terms of time they have to finish. Surely 10.30 could be put back to 12 etc etc. Some of the great matches of tennis run into the early hours and the crowd remains.

Riggins

International Captain
Yeah it's a bit stupid. Obviously families etc. can't stay all night but they still get to see the same amount of cricket if they leave early anyway. There's also the issue of councils bitching and moaning about the lights being on but surely they can just suck it up.

Burgey

The fact the match was decided by a six off the second last ball probably indicates the DL target was pretty much on the money, doesn't it?

Riggins

International Captain
I reckon the DL target was a bit low. Whether or not the game is close doesn't really indicate how good the adjustment was though, imo.

thierry henry

International Coach
I've always wondered why day-night games seem so static in terms of time they have to finish. Surely 10.30 could be put back to 12 etc etc. Some of the great matches of tennis run into the early hours and the crowd remains.
I know it's part of the playing conditions generally, but I'm pretty sure in Auckland at least that there are tight restrictions on how late games are allowed to go here. Local council stuff.

In this case they actually did push the finish back from 10:00 to 10:30, which ended up being 10:45ish anyway

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Cricket should just keep playing in the rain. You fall over running in to bowl you cop it on the nut. You can't grip the ball you cop it on the nut.

biased indian

International Coach
I reckon the DL target was a bit low. Whether or not the game is close doesn't really indicate how good the adjustment was though, imo.
Same thought here ..

yesterday when they cam off it was told that if they don't bat again the target was for NZ would be 264 of 38 which was @ 6.94

SA got a second chance and they did great by going at 13 per over but the target set for NZ was at same RR 298 of 43 @ 6.94,this is more difficult a chase but SA didn't gain any thing extra for their effort in the 5 overs

Going at 13 an over is not that easy when you compare NZ score 71 in their first 5 overs which was the second highest rate in the history of the game for first five over and they had only 2 out of 30 yard circle at that time .But SA did not get any benefit out of D\L for their effort

NZ would have still chased it yesterday but i was looking at a par score in the region of 310 to 315

Sarun

U19 Debutant
There's also the issue of councils bitching and moaning about the lights being on but surely they can just suck it up.
Err, no, I am sure litigations and future penalties will make this 'they will suck it up' notion a silly one.

Daemon

Same thought here ..

yesterday when they cam off it was told that if they don't bat again the target was for NZ would be 264 of 38 which was @ 6.94

SA got a second chance and they did great by going at 13 per over but the target set for NZ was at same RR 298 of 43 @ 6.94,this is more difficult a chase but SA didn't gain any thing extra for their effort in the 5 overs

Going at 13 an over is not that easy when you compare NZ score 71 in their first 5 overs which was the second highest rate in the history of the game for first five over and they had only 2 out of 30 yard circle at that time .But SA did not get any benefit out of D\L for their effort

NZ would have still chased it yesterday but i was looking at a par score in the region of 310 to 315
yeah i thought this was weird