• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final - New Zealand v Australia (29th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
It's not a view when he's straight up spouting non-truths:

"There were a number of times last night where the New Zealand batsmen appeared to be hitting big balls - but they'd be getting caught three quarters of the way to the fence at the MCG," Hayden wrote.

This did not happen once in the game last night. That's not an opinion open to interpretation, it's just bull****.

There was one six last night that wouldn't have cleared the MCG boundaries (the first one Elliott hit), and there was not a fielder stationed within 50M of it anyway.
Hmmm, I haven't seen the distance for Anderson's six off Duminy, but I reckon it might've struggled to clear the MCG's 85m straight boundary.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah but it isn't like the ground is only bigger for one team. So if some of McCullum's bombs don't clear the rope, they're still fours. Find it weird to say the ground will be a massive factor tbh. Can't see any side changing their approach because of it. The pitches there are good to bat on barring rain, the outfield is quick. Just seems like a whole lot of BS to me.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
NZ just straight up has the best team in the tournament. They've beaten every good team bar India.

It doesn't make any sense for them not to be favourites for the whole thing at this point, especially considering the fact that they have to win one game while the others have to win 2. Madness.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Sure I can given that we were going at 6rpo the whole time. I'm less concerned about a magical spell of swing bowling than I am of us batting like dickheads and throwing our wickets away.
The one benefit Australia has now, having swapped Smith and Watson in the order, is that the guys who can play/survive against swing bowling are up the top (Finch notwithstanding, but he's **** anyway). But break through those, and the batting like dickheads things becomes a real issue. The structure of the team minimises the risks of it though, IMO.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah but it isn't like the ground is only bigger for one team. So if some of McCullum's bombs don't clear the rope, they're still fours. Find it weird to say the ground will be a massive factor tbh. Can't see any side changing their approach because of it. The pitches there are good to bat on barring rain, the outfield is quick. Just seems like a whole lot of BS to me.
Yeah, "NZ can't play on big grounds" has to be right up there with "Eden Park is 400 vs. 400 because short straight boundaries" in the pantheon of 2015 World Cup lazy cricketing analysis.

viriya

International Captain
Wow they haven't even won their semi-final yet and they're already talking down NZ, what a C***

Cricket World Cup: Aussie great - Black Caps will struggle with size of MCG - Cricket World Cup - NZ Herald News

"Hayden, who won the World Cup with Australia in 2003 and 2007, also said if Australia make the final they'd be much happier to face New Zealand than South Africa. New Zealand defeated Australia by one wicket in pool play.

"I just think New Zealand winning is a huge advantage for Australia on several different levels."
I do think that NZ bowlers might not like MCG as much as home conditions, but this is just classic Aussie strategy. My Boy Corey can clear any ****ing boundary.

viriya

International Captain
NZ just straight up has the best team in the tournament. They've beaten every good team bar India.

It doesn't make any sense for them not to be favourites for the whole thing at this point, especially considering the fact that they have to win one game while the others have to win 2. Madness.
Yea agree that right now NZ has to be the favorites. Not so if Aus qualify.

cnerd123

likes this
No way are Ind or Aus favourites.

The aura around this NZ side and the performances they have put in are so much like India in 2011. Whoever comes up against them in the final is standing between them and destiny.

Even if India make the final, I'd be pretty happy in NZ won. They've had the best build up to the tournament, have picked the best balanced squad, have played the best cricket in all 3 disciplines, and the character of the side is just immense.

No bloody way are Ind or Aus favourites to anyone who has followed this whole WC and the build up to it.

viriya

International Captain
NZ would be outright favorites if the final would be in NZ imo, not so if it's MCG vs Aus. I do think they have the most balanced side.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

"Plucky little NZ will punch above their weight but Australia/India haven't even revealed their final form".

Greenlite

U19 Debutant
So many patients telling me Go The BC. I've never seen cricket been so popular here, used to hear people say they'd rather watch paint dry.

If you're a kiwi living in AUS, wear your BC jersey on the street and you might be greeted with "Go The BC" from kiwi strangers and hugs from random grandmas. I wore my Crusaders jersey back in 2000 in Gold Coast and was greeted with "Go Canterbury" by a cyclist who I thought was going to maul me over for a second.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Wow they haven't even won their semi-final yet and they're already talking down NZ, what a C***

Cricket World Cup: Aussie great - Black Caps will struggle with size of MCG - Cricket World Cup - NZ Herald News

"Hayden, who won the World Cup with Australia in 2003 and 2007, also said if Australia make the final they'd be much happier to face New Zealand than South Africa. New Zealand defeated Australia by one wicket in pool play.

"I just think New Zealand winning is a huge advantage for Australia on several different levels."

If South Africa had won I guarantee he would have said it was an advantage to Australia as they beat South Africa earlier in the summer and Australia would prefer facing SA pace to NZ swing. The bloke would have probably thrown in the 'c' word too - no, not that one, the SA one. This is just Hayden being Hayden.

Flem274*

123/5
I'm loving this tasty chat about us being unable to play on big grounds or swing the ball away from home from some media and blow in 7 post CWers. It's going to be so good when Big Daddy Kane, Ross and Graunt knock it around to 160 after 35 overs. Jadeja, Raina, Maxwell, Watson....nuh uh, they're not going to cut it.

The big three scum are going down, it doesn't matter who they send to the MCG.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
You may have noticed I'm feeling very bullish by the way. The reason is nothing can be worse than sitting through the last half of that run chase the other night. I'm not scared of us losing anymore. If it happens it happens.

New Zealand are bringing the cup home.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm loving this tasty chat about us being unable to play on big grounds or swing the ball away from home from some media and blow in 7 post CWers. It's going to be so good when Big Daddy Kane, Ross and Graunt knock it around to 160 after 35 overs. Jadeja, Raina, Maxwell, Watson....nuh uh, they're not going to cut it.
Agreed, K-Dub in particular is going to absolutely love batting on a big ground.