• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final - New Zealand v Australia (29th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah so being collapse prone doesn't mean they're doing to do it in every single match, which is what hendrix seems to be suggesting here.
no it's not, I'm saying they're prone to a collapse because many of the batsmen don't have particularly good defensive capabilities.

Which is also what Michael Clarke himself said after the match.

Spark

Global Moderator
no it's not, I'm saying they're prone to a collapse because many of the batsmen don't have particularly good defensive capabilities.

Which is also what Michael Clarke himself said after the match.
That's not why we collapsed against NZ, given how few of our batsmen actually got out defending (I think two of them got out that way, at most). We collapsed because we batted like lunatics, which is by far and away the biggest cause of our collapses.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
That's not why we collapsed against NZ, given how few of our batsmen actually got out defending (I think two of them got out that way, at most). We collapsed because we batted like lunatics, which is by far and away the biggest cause of our collapses.
you can't just look at dismissals in isolation.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Clarke said they focused too much on the power game, so they basically weren't practicing their defensive techniques enough and got caught off guard possibly. Anyways I agree that most Australian batsmen aren't as good at playing the grind than they are smashing it around. The problem with the current Aussie team is though that they have so much depth that even having them 4-5 down for not much doesn't guarantee anything as they can still put up a competitive total.

Greenlite

U19 Debutant
Wow they haven't even won their semi-final yet and they're already talking down NZ, what a C***

Cricket World Cup: Aussie great - Black Caps will struggle with size of MCG - Cricket World Cup - NZ Herald News

"Hayden, who won the World Cup with Australia in 2003 and 2007, also said if Australia make the final they'd be much happier to face New Zealand than South Africa. New Zealand defeated Australia by one wicket in pool play.

"I just think New Zealand winning is a huge advantage for Australia on several different levels."

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think he's entitled to his view, even though I don't really agree with it. Hayden was always one of those players who refused to countenance the idea his side would do anything other than win, no matter who they played. That's just him.

Greenlite

U19 Debutant
Ya everyone have the right to be an ass but you would think he would start trash talking AFTER they beat India, this is the equivalent of NZ greats talking down AUS/India BEFORE they played SA.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Do you really think either of the other two teams would take a lot out of reading an article which contains the opinions of a bloke who retired five years ago? It'd be like Australia trying to take some motivation from the ramblings of Adam Parore or Sourav Ganguly. Different story if it was someone from within the current side.

Spark

Global Moderator
you can't just look at dismissals in isolation.
Sure I can given that we were going at 6rpo the whole time. I'm less concerned about a magical spell of swing bowling than I am of us batting like dickheads and throwing our wickets away.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, it's on a par with the rubbish Dean Jones spouted before the Eden Park ODI (well, maybe slightly above that particular par).

Adgey

School Boy/Girl Captain
Pretty much agree that whoever plays New Zealand in the final will be favourties. Australia maybe 2.5:1 and India a bit above 1.5:1

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I think he's entitled to his view.
It's not a view when he's straight up spouting non-truths:

"There were a number of times last night where the New Zealand batsmen appeared to be hitting big balls - but they'd be getting caught three quarters of the way to the fence at the MCG," Hayden wrote.

This did not happen once in the game last night. That's not an opinion open to interpretation, it's just bull****.

There was one six last night that wouldn't have cleared the MCG boundaries (the first one Elliott hit), and there was not a fielder stationed within 50M of it anyway.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I personally would back us to beat India. Yeah playing at the MCG is different to playing in NZ, but I think we've got the players and skills to counter a lot of India's strengths and exploit their weaknesses, at least in non-subcontinent conditions. I would back Australia to beat us though, as loathe as I am to admit it.