• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final - New Zealand v Australia (29th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah the Starc spell wasn't the same as the Southee one.

Southee was bowling jaffas and the ball was moving a mile. He dominated unsettled batsman who couldn't play his swing.

Starc came back on after our middle order started to wobble and helped to push us over. We remember the awesome inswinging yorkers from his spell but it was the pressure he was building after we had started to stumble that made us fall apart. I think the idea that Starc dominated throughout does a bit of a disservice to what he actually did in the game. He asked Clarke for another spell and bowled with venom to shake apart a NZ team that had only started to faintly wobble.

Starc got in our heads.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah the Starc spell wasn't the same as the Southee one.

Southee was bowling jaffas and the ball was moving a mile. He dominated unsettled batsman who couldn't play his swing.

Starc came back on after our middle order started to wobble and helped to push us over. We remember the awesome inswinging yorkers from his spell but it was the pressure he was building after we had started to stumble that made us fall apart. I think the idea that Starc dominated throughout does a bit of a disservice to what he actually did in the game. He asked Clarke for another spell and bowled with venom to shake apart a NZ team that had only started to faintly wobble.

Starc got in our heads.
Yeah well put.

viriya

International Captain
I don't buy this bollocks. Why do Australia batsmen get a pass as just 'not showing up' and NZ's don't?

If you actually watched all the NZ dismissals, you'd know we gifted them almost all of our wickets, with the exception of Ronchi, who was done by a beauty.

McCullum & Guptill were both gifts.. both loose mistimed drives to mid-off on the circle. Taylor played a horrible swipe across the line & played on to his stumps, Elliott had a brain-fart and attempted a defensive shot which he missed by about a foot. Anyone who's watched Elliott knows he can look strangely village vs. any bowler early in his innings, not just Starc.

Both Anderson and Vettori's wickets were also gifted, when we needed 20 or less with 4-5 wickets in hand and they assumed we were home. And even our no's 9 & 10 Milne and Southees were terrible unnecessary extravagant drives, even if they were excellent yorkers from Starc.

To suggest Australia just had an off-day with the bat but NZ were somehow knocked over by amazing bowling through little fault of their own, but because they simply weren't good enough is absurd.
Aus just failed to apply themselves when batting. Aside from a few dismissals (johnson getting bowled for example), the rest happened partly because Aus thought they needed 400+ (finch and Watson dismissals).

NZ definitely choked mid-inninga vs starc. The Elliott dismissal after the break can't be attributed to anything else other than nerves cos it looked terrible.

The point here is that Aus are not gonna get bowled out for 150 batting first at MCG again.. If they make 325+ (which is likely since boult will probably be the only threat), how will NZ do vs Starc this time? That will decide the game.

viriya

International Captain
it's viriya. he posts stuff like that then as soon as we lose he'll jump ship to a new team. the cycle will continue until his country of birth win a game.
I would never switch to Aus/Ind.. No former SL fan would if you knew the history between those teams.

I always said I'd support whoever wins NZ vs SA while supporting NZ pre-WC.

I still believe that if AB went through, he would've won the game for SA at MCG on his own. NZ have a lower chance imo, but my only hope is that they embarrass Australia in their own backyard because there's no better feeling.

Why am I an Aussie hater? Cos they are ****y ****s and always good.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Aus just failed to apply themselves when batting. Aside from a few dismissals (johnson getting bowled for example), the rest happened partly because Aus thought they needed 400+ (finch and Watson dismissals).

NZ definitely choked mid-inninga vs starc. The Elliott dismissal after the break can't be attributed to anything else other than nerves cos it looked terrible.

The point here is that Aus are not gonna get bowled out for 150 batting first at MCG again.. If they make 325+ (which is likely since boult will probably be the only threat), how will NZ do vs Starc this time? That will decide the game.
You clearly haven't watched Australia much because they've been ridiculously collapse prone for years.

TC123

Cricket Spectator
Who has tickets to the final?

Managed to get one in the final sale today. Will be an incredible atmosphere if it's Australia vs New Zealand.
Up all night emailing people selling final tickets. Managed to find 4 so they are still out there. I'm a kiwi living in queensland but how are kiwis travelling over going with tickets. Did NZ cricket release any? Flights are probably worse to find

Gilly Fan

U19 12th Man
Up all night emailing people selling final tickets. Managed to find 4 so they are still out there. I'm a kiwi living in queensland but how are kiwis travelling over going with tickets. Did NZ cricket release any? Flights are probably worse to find
There were 300 released by the ICC today and I don't know how I got one but I did. Will be by myself but will be worth it if Australia are in it.

I hope you didn't pay way over the odds for them. There's official resale pages where you can purchase tickets. Hasn't been heavily promoted but for anyone desperate you still have a chance.One link is for the regular MCG seating whereas the other is for seating in the MCC grandstand.

https://resale-au.tickets.cricketworldcup.com/PerformanceSeats?performanceId=EMCG0000049
https://resale-au.tickets.cricketworldcup.com/PerformanceSeats?performanceId=EMCG0000049B

Basically, people that can't go put their tickets up on this site and sell them through ticketek at face value to someone else. Only issue is you have to be super quick as they are generally snapped up seconds after they go online.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Absolutely ridiculous.

Finch is a t20 batsman who has never and will never be able to handle the swinging ball. Swinging from the hip was always his only option. Frankly, that goes for half of Australia's lineup in all formats of the game at the moment.

They'll always be prone to a collapse against good bowling. Hell, Pakistan would have inflicted the same thing with zero scoreboard pressure if they could only catch the ball.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Absolutely ridiculous.

Finch is a t20 batsman who has never and will never be able to handle the swinging ball. Swinging from the hip was always his only option. Frankly, that goes for half of Australia's lineup in all formats of the game at the moment.

They'll always be prone to a collapse against good bowling. Hell, Pakistan would have inflicted the same thing with zero scoreboard pressure if they could only catch the ball.
Faulkner, Finch and Mitch Darsh aren't half our team last I checked

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah so being collapse prone doesn't mean they're doing to do it in every single match, which is what hendrix seems to be suggesting here.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah, they've got the most destructive lineup going so if they all fired then 400 would be a cakewalk IMO.

Still don't buy the analysis of the New Zealand game though, Australia's middle order folding cheaply in any format at the moment isn't a surprise.

Gnske

I would add Maxwell at the moment, but in any case, allow me a little hyperbole.
Permission granted but only after I add that the pulp to Maxwell's juice and novelty has always been and always shall be his wrists.

His ability to use his hips to maul the midwicket area like a defenseless baby kitten is just a bonus.

paulted

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
New Zealand have had a good tournament but this may be where they trip up. Australia have a superior pace attack and India a superior batting line up and don't forget India have bowled all their opponents out. Sorry but the second semi victors will win

BeeGee

International Captain
I'm expecting a heap of tickets to become available after the second semi when the losing team's fans offload their tickets for the final.

Air NZ should put on an extra flight or two just for the game.

HeathDavisSpeed

I'm expecting a heap of tickets to become available after the second semi when the losing team's fans offload their tickets for the final.

Air NZ should put on an extra flight or two just for the game.
They've already put one extra on according to National Radio. I suspect demand will determine whether they put more flights on.

BeeGee

International Captain
NZ dominating the individual stats for the WC:

Most Wickets: Boult (where dem haters at?)
Highest score: Guptill (where dem Blockys at?)
Best bowling figures: Southee

The only one we're not top in is most runs (Sanga) and Guptill is second on that list needing just 10 runs in the final to take that one also.

Last edited: