• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final - New Zealand v Australia (29th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting how we had newbies Boult and Milne playing AUS for the first time in the last game and now we have another newbie playing them for the first time.
Boult had played a test against them though in Hobart. 2 games = 2 wins. Hopefully it will be three from three. Was Eden Park Corey Anderson's 1st game against them as well?

I see he didn't play in the Champions Trophy game in 2013
7th Match, Group A: Australia v New Zealand at Birmingham, Jun 12, 2013 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

I think he came in for the game against England

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Home ground advantage will be huge in this game. NZ haven't played in Australia in years let alone during the tournament. Think they will need to bat first and then pressure the chase.
That would be my strategy. Never ever underestimate a home ground advantage.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Apparently last night was a home game for India...
The Indian crowd was very loud on TV last night, quite possible this was deliberately recorded in such a manner to give that impression by the Star Sport/ESPN broadcaster. I don't think anyone has been attempting to wind Australia up in that regard.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I am going to the game on Sunday. It is going to be huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge.

Whether it's Boult with the new ball or McCullum with the bat, especially looking forward to NZ playing aggressive cricket from the start and trying to blitz Australia.

U19 12th Man
Have these two faced off in the Union World Cup final before? IIRC both of New Zealand's wins have been against France and Aus beat England in 91.
Doubt it will happen in the future either. Union has declined to a niche curiosity down here. Though it was never massive I suppose.

I do think the size of the ground poses an issue for NZ. So much of their momentum has come from the great man at the top, but he'll have to adjust his game somewhat for the 'G. Must increase the odds of an earlier dismissal or less effective innings.

Be a cracking game.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Bought my "Hairy Javelin" t-shirt yesterday. Apparently it should arrive tomorrow. It better...

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
I am going to the game on Sunday. It is going to be huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge.

Whether it's Boult with the new ball or McCullum with the bat, especially looking forward to NZ playing aggressive cricket from the start and trying to blitz Australia.
If they can play high octane cricket in the final despite the occasion then they are a chance. That will make Australia have to match them.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, no matter what the result of this game is, I think we can expect to see some ****ing awesome cricket.

Southee and Boult and Henry knocking over the top order with quality swing bowling
Vettori putting on a limited overs spin bowling masterclass
Baz going utterly nuts from the top of the order
Starc detonating the stumps with 150km/h yorkers
Maxwell doing his thing
Smitteh and Kaneh making yet more runs for fun
Grant Elliott bopping Mohammad Shami over long on off the last ball of the game

Whatever happens, this is shaping up to be a serious quality game of cricket.

otagoman

School Boy/Girl Captain
I dont see why people are concerned about the size of the ground, the 2 players that it will impact most would be Anderson and Ronchi. McCullum will play the same way, only 2 fielders are allowed outside the inner circle in those first 10 overs, so while he may not hit as many 6's his hits should still be safe if they were going to be safe in a smaller ground.

Taylor, Williamson and Elliott are good at pushing the ball into gaps - Taylors running issues could be key

Its only down the order where boundary sizes could come into play, the longer boundaries opens up more opportunities for our gun fielders to save runs as well

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I dont see why people are concerned about the size of the ground, the 2 players that it will impact most would be Anderson and Ronchi. McCullum will play the same way, only 2 fielders are allowed outside the inner circle in those first 10 overs, so while he may not hit as many 6's his hits should still be safe if they were going to be safe in a smaller ground.

Taylor, Williamson and Elliott are good at pushing the ball into gaps - Taylors running issues could be key

Its only down the order where boundary sizes could come into play, the longer boundaries opens up more opportunities for our gun fielders to save runs as well
Ronchi has played at the MCG before anyway, and Anderson can clear any boundary in the world. It's a complete non-issue -- both sides are playing on the same field with the same boundaries.

Le Mac

Banned
NZ cricket (and NZ in general really) oozes mediocrity so to make the final they have significantly over-achieved already. They won't be winning this. They will be over-awed by the occasion and crumble faster than a Christchurch skyscraper. As I said elsewhere, Australia won't be using lube on Sunday so it's not going to be a pleasant experience for NZ. Australia won't mess around though so expect this to be over as quickly & humanely as possible.

Australia in straight sets.

Antihippy

International Debutant
NZ cricket (and NZ in general really) oozes mediocrity so to make the final they have significantly over-achieved already. They won't be winning this. They will be over-awed by the occasion and crumble faster than a Christchurch skyscraper..
Wow.

Really?

jonbrooks

International Debutant
NZ cricket (and NZ in general really) oozes mediocrity so to make the final they have significantly over-achieved already. They won't be winning this. They will be over-awed by the occasion and crumble faster than a Christchurch skyscraper. As I said elsewhere, Australia won't be using lube on Sunday so it's not going to be a pleasant experience for NZ. Australia won't mess around though so expect this to be over as quickly & humanely as possible.

To quote Warcraft II

"New troll here"

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

**** off you cretinous ****.