• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final - New Zealand v Australia (29th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spark

Global Moderator
We've all been asking that one.

The fact that he was bought straight into the team, ahead of the two bowlers selected in the squad ahead of him, shows that the selectors ****ed up.
i mean that seems weird as hell. it's not like milne/mcclenaghan have exactly blown anyone away...

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't quite get why people haven't grasped that bowling a high percentage of your overs at the death will give you a good strike rate yet.

Anderson does have a bit of a golden arm, even in the middle overs, but lets not pretend his stats accurately portray how likely he is to strike in comparison to others.

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't quite get why people haven't grasped that bowling a high percentage of your overs at the death will give you a good strike rate yet.

Anderson does have a bit of a golden arm, even in the middle overs, but lets not pretend his stats accurately portray how likely he is to strike in comparison to others.
in fairness he was listed as a bowler whose stats flatter him

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
in fairness he was listed as a bowler whose stats flatter him
I was mainly talking about this post:

It's funny that Cory Anderson's bowling has completely flown under the radar in this tournament.

14 wickets at an average of 16. Genuine wicket taker.
Although tbf he's not really bowled much at the death in this tournament due to NZ bowling teams out before a death existing.

His career stats do not point to be being more likely to take a wicket than better bowlers at any stage though; they just point to him bowling an unusual percentage of his overs at a time where lots of wickets are falling. This is also why he has a terrible economy rate. He's been increasingly made out as some sort of leaky strike bowler when the fact of the matter is he's just an allrounder who NZ use at the death. If his stats were broken down into different periods of play, they'd probably align a lot more closely with other bowlers of his quality.

Spark

Global Moderator
i am interested in how mccullum uses his three gun bowlers. if he front-loads again then given how long our batting is, that could go very very pear-shaped. or we could have auckland.

BeeGee

International Captain
I was mainly talking about this post:

Although tbf he's not really bowled much at the death in this tournament due to NZ bowling teams out before a death existing.

His career stats do not point to be being more likely to take a wicket than better bowlers at any stage though; they just point to him bowling an unusual percentage of his overs at a time where lots of wickets are falling. This is also why he has a terrible economy rate. He's been increasingly made out as some sort of leaky strike bowler when the fact of the matter is he's just an allrounder who NZ use at the death. If his stats were broken down into different periods of play, they'd probably align a lot more closely with other bowlers of his quality.
I disagree. McCullum obviously agrees with my assessment because he has been used to break partnerships throughout this tournament. A classic example was against SA when he was specifically brought on to break the Rossouw - du Plessis partnership. He bowled one over, took Rossouw's wicket and was immediately taken off.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Anderson has actually only taken three wickets in the tournament that haven't been either at the death, tailenders or against associates -- that one, Shakib's wicket (which he took in the 34th over), and Sammy when the whole West Indian innings was like the death anyway.

Anderson is not more likely to strike than someone like Southee, Boult or Steyn who was compared to any stage of the innings. His stats are how they are primarily because of his role; he is not really a strike bowler. If those guys were used how Anderson is they'd have even sillier looking stats than he does; it's just the nature of death bowling.

BeeGee

International Captain
His stats are how they are primarily because of his role; he is not really a strike bowler.
So presumably all the death bowlers in the tournament have figures similar to Anderson because of their role. Everyone must be lining up to be a death bowler, gives you such great figures.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
i am interested in how mccullum uses his three gun bowlers. if he front-loads again then given how long our batting is, that could go very very pear-shaped. or we could have auckland.
Yeah, he dodged a bullet in the semi final given he had to get 8/12 overs from Anderson/Elliott/whoever.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So presumably all the death bowlers in the tournament have figures similar to Anderson because of their role. Everyone must be lining up to be a death bowler, gives you such great figures.
Ahh but this is where you're missing my point. Anderson bowls a bigger percentage of his overs at the death than most death bowlers.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Would Anderson as a bowler be considered a weak link (at least pre tournament)? Those types of bowlers often get targeted which results in a higher strike rate for a while.

Antihippy

International Debutant
He has the skill of getting the jammiest wickets ala maxwell which is all you can ask from a 5th bowler really.

edit: though until he takes a double wicket maiden at the final over to seal a 1 win victory I will consider anderson the inferior bowler to maxwell.

Last edited:

BeeGee

International Captain
Would Anderson as a bowler be considered a weak link (at least pre tournament)? Those types of bowlers often get targeted which results in a higher strike rate for a while.
Yeah, pre-tournament he was certainly seen as a potential bowling weakness.

Anderson has been awesome though. With both bat and ball.