• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where now for the Associates?

cpr

International Coach
They go back to playing associate level cricket, and you all forget about your Scottish/Irish/Afghan grandad for another 4 years (he was probably born in South Africa anyway)

C'mon, if you're going to ask an inane and dumb question, at least try and fluff it up a bit.

brockley

International Captain
Well no likelihood of 2019 world cup-,likely Zimbabwe and Bangladesh in Bangladesh its likely the last we will see of the minnows,unless they play for England or some other country.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You do realise that the associates don't just put their feet up for fours years between ODI World Cups, right?

They'll go back and play their Intercontinental Cup games and World Cricket League games, as well as prepare for the 2016 T20 World Cup (in which there will be 16 teams).

Also, I will add that Zimbabwe absolutely suck in Bangladesh conditions. It would not surprise me at all if they got knocked out by Ireland or Afghanistan in that qualifying tournament.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
If you we're an associate cricketer, would be trying to excel in 20, 50 overs or red ball cricket? If you had to focus on one..

I feel as though Afghanistan and probably Scotland too are equiped well for T20s.

Rotkohl

Cricket Spectator
Khurram Khan will probably retire soon. I cant see Tauqir continuing for too long either with him being no spring chicken and having other profesisonal commitments. We wouldnt want too many UAE players ending there careers after the world cup... imagine no returns on all that experience of playing against full members :unsure:

No such issues for scotland, ireland or afghanistan IMO, who have teams built on players who will be there for a couple of more years at the very least, even though Joyce and Niall may not make it to 2019. The only way is up for them and hopefully there will be county cricket for Balbirnie and davey this summer. Scotland and afghanistan in particular should benefit from their players taking part in their first world cups (apart from Coetzer and Majid that is)

brockley

International Captain
Dave Richardson came out today and said they are sticking with the 10 side theory,I guess the associates are cooked.

Le Mac

Banned
They go back to where they belong - obscurity! Sure they have helped increase revenue for the organisers & given cricket nerds around the globe an extra 4 weeks of complete time wasting and general unproductiveness but it has to end eventually.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dave Richardson came out today and said they are sticking with the 10 side theory,I guess the associates are cooked.
Good to see him honouring his opening ceremony speech about the ICC's commitment to inclusiveness. :(

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Absolutely disgusting and short sighted. Even more stupidly, they're looking to try and flog the dead Cricket USA horse. There's more people playing cricket in the USA than Zimbabwe - so they're worth pursuing. Utter codswallop and rusty rollocks. Strip out the ex-pats and see what you're left with. The ICC's obsession with the USA reminds me of Napoleon and Hitler's folly with trying to invade Russia. It'll never work. Sometimes you have to wonder at the sanity of the people running the game - this is one of those moments. A load of crusty old codgers in shiny-arsed suits trying to cream as much money as possible from something good so they can justify their ever-increasing salary packages.

_Ed_

The fact that the 10-team tournament in 2019 is still going to last as long as this one only adds to the pointlessness.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
You do realise that the associates don't just put their feet up for fours years between ODI World Cups, right?

They'll go back and play their Intercontinental Cup games and World Cricket League games, as well as prepare for the 2016 T20 World Cup (in which there will be 16 teams).

Also, I will add that Zimbabwe absolutely suck in Bangladesh conditions. It would not surprise me at all if they got knocked out by Ireland or Afghanistan in that qualifying tournament.
Ireland or Zimbabwe maybe. Don't have too much hope with Afghanistan. Not convinced their batting would match up, even in more friendlier subcontinental conditions.

Daemon

Absolutely disgusting and short sighted. Even more stupidly, they're looking to try and flog the dead Cricket USA horse. There's more people playing cricket in the USA than Zimbabwe - so they're worth pursuing. Utter codswallop and rusty rollocks. Strip out the ex-pats and see what you're left with. The ICC's obsession with the USA reminds me of Napoleon and Hitler's folly with trying to invade Russia. It'll never work. Sometimes you have to wonder at the sanity of the people running the game - this is one of those moments. A load of crusty old codgers in shiny-arsed suits trying to cream as much money as possible from something good so they can justify their ever-increasing salary packages.
You forgot to mention how they're always sitting around in air conditioned rooms

brockley

International Captain
Srinivassan who was booed at the World cup ceremony said he wants 10 teams,what he says is what he gets.