• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best spell of the tournament

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So we have threads for the worst innings and spells... why so miserable? We've had some of the best spells in ODI history in this WC. Southee vs England, Starc almost single handedly killing NZ, Boult in the same game, Wahab vs Australia.

Some real quality on display. Personally Southee's spell still takes the cake but have a real soft spot for Wahab's effort...most unfair returns ever. Bowled like a demon.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Despite the huge scores the bowling's been the highlight of this world cup for mine. I vote Starc v NZ but I'm biased.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
can't reasonably split Southee Starc and Riaz. As a NZ fan I say Southee. If I were Australian I'd say Starc. As a neutral I'd say Riaz.

Boult has been consistently awesome but his spells haven't quite have that godlike quality of the above three.

Last edited:

Shady Slim

International Coach
despite taking a massive amount of wickets i feel southee's seven didn't have much impact on the game itself and the kiwis would have hosed it in anyways
/opinion

Swingpanzee

International Regular
Riaz. Really tough and subjective choice imo because Southee, Boult and Starc bowled some absolutely awesome spells, but there was some extremely primal and monstrous power being channelled by Riaz during his spell the day before yesterday. Top stuff.

Daemon

Most exciting was Riaz for me, but the best has probably got to go with either Southee or Starc.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Between Southee and Starc for mine. Starc did his against a much better side than Southee, but take away some very poor shots and NZ win by 7 wickets and Starc gets only 2-15 or so.

Antihippy

International Debutant
Between Southee and Starc for mine. Starc did his against a much better side than Southee, but take away some very poor shots and NZ win by 7 wickets and Starc gets only 2-15 or so.
What?

You might as well do the same to southee, seeing that most of his wickets against england also came from poor footwork much like starc's.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Most exciting was Riaz for me, but the best has probably got to go with either Southee or Starc.
Riaz gave an amazing performance under pressure, there was nothing in the pitch for the pace bowlers. And he could have won the game for Pakistan, but the rest of the team was playing horrible cricket.

On the other hand Starc bowled exceptionally well against NZ, but he had a lot more freedom to attack as the game had already slipped away in NZ's favour. Also, some of the NZ batsmen looked overconfident, they were going for their shots thinking that the game is already in their pocket.

Overall, Strac is the best bowler of the tournament. But if you talk about one spell, then Riaz's spell against Australia was just too good. Watson looked like a school boy facing a pro in most part of that spell.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Overall, Strac is the best bowler of the tournament. But if you talk about one spell, then Riaz's spell against Australia was just too good. Watson looked like a school boy facing a pro in most part of that spell.
Tbf so did every single NZ batsman vs Starc, apart from Williamson.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
What?

You might as well do the same to southee, seeing that most of his wickets against england also came from poor footwork much like starc's.
Nah, I reckon NZ played Starc much worse than England played Southee. Elliott, Taylor, Milne and Southee all played truly **** shots, while most of the English batsmen just got done.

Kirkut

International Regular
From perspective of bowling perfection it's Southee for me, that outswinger to Chris Woakes is probably as perfect as it can get.
Starc reminded me of Akram from 80's, such identical actions and modes of dismissals. Riaz's short stuff to Watson had shades of Donald vs Atherton at Trent Bridge 1998.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
It'll probably go largely ignored, but Boult's bowling on the weekend was really magnificent. 4/44 (and he came close to picking up a 5th on a couple of occasions) from 10 straight overs, when all hell was being unleashed at the other end was really exceptional, and really showcases his value to this side.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Nah, I reckon NZ played Starc much worse than England played Southee. Elliott, Taylor, Milne and Southee all played truly **** shots, while most of the English batsmen just got done.
I totally agree there, some horrible shots from the NZ batsmen made Starc look even more dangerous, maybe the NZ batsmen were taking it lightly after getting in a strong position. No doubt Starc was bowling extremely well, but some of the batsmen just threw it away.

anil1405

International Captain
I'd pick Southee's effort against England slightly ahead of other great spells in this WC for the reason that Southee pitched the ball consistently in areas that bowlers just dream of most of the time but fail to apply it to perfection. It seemed like he had a plan for every batsman as to where to pitch the ball and executed it to perfection.

Ability to swing is one thing but Southee had given 'pitching it in right areas' a new definition.