• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best spell of the tournament

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think the three day spell between the quarters and the first semi final has been the one which has caused the most angst on CW for those still with an interest.

Flem274*

123/5
starc. **** me dead that was good. southee second. riaz third. any hamid hassan great spell fourth. haven't seen the boult 4/44 yet.

Spark

Global Moderator
Nah, I reckon NZ played Starc much worse than England played Southee. Elliott, Taylor, Milne and Southee all played truly **** shots, while most of the English batsmen just got done.
Got done by displaying horrible technique against the moving ball, sure. Cuts both ways.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
It'll probably go largely ignored
It seems to me that people are starting to expect that sort of thing from Boult now.

Which is pretty amazing since he was many people's sixth choice fast bowler (me included) before the CWC.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Boult vs Bangladesh for the first 6 or so overs was completely unplayable.

Bangladesh's most impressive feat of he tournament was making it past 250 after watching that spell from the dugout. It was insanely good.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Boult's spell vs Australia being really overlooked here. 5 wickets and no runs off the bat for 3 overs is just incredible.

Burgey

Got done by displaying horrible technique against the moving ball, sure. Cuts both ways.
I watched the highlights of that game again last night. Jeez there was some awesome bowling on display. I don't buy the "they wuz just bad shots" line when it came to Starc's wickets. If you want to go down that path then factor in the streaky edges which shave the stumps or don't go to hand, for both teams.

Seriously, Starc could have had eight or nine wickets. It was that good.

OverratedSanity

I watched the highlights of that game again last night. Jeez there was some awesome bowling on display. I don't buy the "they wuz just bad shots" line when it came to Starc's wickets. If you want to go down that path then factor in the streaky edges which shave the stumps or don't go to hand, for both teams.

Seriously, Starc could have had eight or nine wickets. It was that good.
It was an amazing spell, but Elliott and Taylor's shots... ughhhh.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Nah, I reckon NZ played Starc much worse than England played Southee. Elliott, Taylor, Milne and Southee all played truly **** shots, while most of the English batsmen just got done.
Advantage of swinging it back in. They're just play and misses if a right arm outswing bowler makes them miss it by that far, as a leftie you've knocked the stumps over.

flibbertyjibber

So which spell has been best in a losing cause this world cup?

Wahab v Australia and Morkel v NZ the obvious candidates. Any more?