cricket betting betway blog banner small

View Poll Results: Who will win this match?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • New Zealand

38 66.67%
  • South Africa

19 33.33%
Page 223 of 228 FirstFirst ... 123173213221222223224225 ... LastLast
Results 3,331 to 3,345 of 3409
Like Tree1092Likes

Thread: 1st Semi Final - New Zealand v South Africa (24th March)

Cricket Spectator
    Just read this retrospective by de Kock. Obviously focuses on the SA team and doesn't really talk much about the NZ players and their strengths. But man does it break my heart all over again! Love this team and this game so much!

Quinton de Kock on the Proteas World Cup Exit

Quote Originally Posted by Snippie27 View Post
    Just read this retrospective by de Kock. Obviously focuses on the SA team and doesn't really talk much about the NZ players and their strengths. But man does it break my heart all over again! Love this team and this game so much!

Quinton de Kock on the Proteas World Cup Exit
    You know that's not actually by him, right?
    Jono and Snippie27 like this.
    The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by viriya View Post
    If NZ loses the final I hope the NZ fans here don't try to paint it as "it was a great run, we did our best".. cos winning a semifinal isn't enough this time.
    Yea but getting to the final just to lose to Aus is not something I'd sign up for.
    Yea but after going through 4 SL final losses, I'd rather the team I'm supporting lose early than lose at the final hurdle - it's much harder to swallow.
    Hmm, can't speak for them ofc, but trying to put myself in their shoes I can't help but think that if NZ lose the final but in manner to how SA bowed out, the fans will be nothing but proud of their team. You're right when you say it will be harder to swallow because they were so close to the title, but I still highly doubt they'd have taken a loss today over one in the finals.

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    You know that's not actually by him, right?
    Yeah I read that and was "wtf". Then I saw "not" Quinton de Kock and acknowledgement that its parody...
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend zorax's Avatar
    SA's nervous energy almost won them this game, but ended up losing it for them.

It was their nervous energy that saw Amla and De Kock out early playing loose shots, but that saw Faf and Rossou hustle hard and absorb the pressure so well right after. ABDV is a walking talking ball-smashing bundle of energy, and then Miller right at the end exploded like a firework.

All this energy was there to be seen in the field, as ABDV kept shuffling bowlers to hold back McCullum, as Morkel and Philander and Steyn all turned in fantastic spells at various points, as Tahir bundled through the crease every ball pushing hard and hard for a wicket so he could go on a lap of celebration around Eden park.

It was the same energy that saw them fling themselves after the ball in godly display of fielding, that saw ABDV bowl one of the best death spells of the world cup. It was the same energy that powered Dale Steyn through that final spell.

But it was the same energy that saw ABDV and De Kock fumble the ball, and that saw Duminy collide into Behardien.

Their nervous energy saw them put on an incredible performance in all 3 disciplines, yet saw them lose some crucial moments. Not a choke. Not bottling a game they should have won. Just their excitement and eagerness that fueled them turning around to bite them.

It's hard to point a finger on one defining turning point in a game that consisted of about a billion of them. Amla and De Kock's loose start, Faf and Rossouws recovery, that Guptill catch, that Williamson drop, a few missed runout chances, the rain, the reveiwed wide that sent back Faf short of a well deserved 100, Miller's assault, another drop. Then the McCullum blitz, the Tahir maiden, Kane's dragging on, Ross running out Guppy and getting himself strangled down leg, Corey's counter punch, ABDV bowling, ABDV missing a runout, Morkel's over, Ronchi holing out, Dan's four, another missed runout, the dropped catch, the four, the six.

In the end, the assertion made earlier in this thread by one of the old wise members that the coolest head on the night would win the game was corrrect.

Elliot had the coolest head that night. And he won the game. Grant Elliot, of all people, has played an ATG World Cup innings in one of the ATG ODIs.

McCullums six at the start off Steyn signalled the NZ's intent to win this in style; Elliot's six off Steyn was a fitting way to wrap it up.

Great game. Fantastic.

Cricket Spectator
    Thats what happens when you don't read a link on facebook in depth (blame it on the early hours of the morning). Still f@@@ heartbreaking!

International Debutant anil1405's Avatar
    Came to this thread today with almost the same enthusiasm as yesterday. Can we start this game again please.

Yea but after going through 4 SL final losses, I'd rather the team I'm supporting lose early than lose at the final hurdle - it's much harder to swallow.
    In NZ's case you only need to read some of the views of the veterans of the 1992 World Cup final defeat to Pakistan to see that making the final at the MCG would have been massive for them. Obviously they would have been gutted if they'd then lost the final, but making the final would have been the pinacle of their careers. I think that this is a watershed for New Zealand cricket to finally break that psychological barrier and get beyond the semi-finals.

I agree, if they lose it will be gutting but I'll be proud of their efforts in this tournament.
    _Ed_ and indiaholic like this.

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    You are right unfortunately people are idiots and it will actually take a situation of someone being called back for the rule to change.
    Ended up discussing this over the water cooler. The consensus is that Corey should have kept walking and not thought about returning to the field.
    1) Ross is Boss.
    2) See point 1.

Leading the charge against nuances being used in posts.

Overrated XI M Bracewell, Burns, Rahane, Don Voges, Bairstow, Alecz Day, Donovan Grobelaar, Luke Ronchi, Faulkner, Dan Christian, Permaul

Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    We all thought this game would be great so it's great to see something like that acually live up to the hype. This WC has seen such a weird mixture of absolute rubbish one sided matches and a few of the most thrilling matches ever (This semi, NZ v Aus, Afg v Scotland)

International Coach wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Ended up discussing this over the water cooler. The consensus is that Corey should have kept walking and not thought about returning to the field.
    nah, **** that. If you're a batsman playing a key innings in a WC semi-final and someone tells you there's a chance you're not out you stay on the ****ing field.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Neesham
    Root always sets up the innings well. It's nice having BJ down the order to finish the innings off.
    Exit pursuing a beer

International Debutant kiwiviktor81's Avatar
    Even if we lose the final, as a Kiwi sports fan this is at least equal to an All Blacks RWC win to me. Primarily because it's never been done before by us, but also because it's not as expected. The last time I expected the All Blacks to lose a game was 1998. I didn't expect the BCs to win this semifinal. So already it's a great moment.

Also because I'm more emotionally invested in cricket than rugby. If we win the final it will be by some margin the greatest moment of my career as a sports fan. Like Baz said, geez it would be good to win it.
    jcas0167 likes this.

A longer post since I am on the train.
    In big games your big name players need to stand up. Baz stood up and said follow me. His inning was the ultimate team knock. Once he got to 50 he probably could have taken the foot off the accelerator and got a higher individual score but that is not his role in the team. He is not really supposed to see it through until the end. His job is to get us off to a flyer.
    Yesterday on the train home I got chatting about the game with a colleague. I remarked 12(8) isn't going to cut it today. He needs to get the score through to 50 and that is what he did.
    Going into the final we have an extra two day's rest. That will be key as boult appeared to tire towards the end of his first spell from all the bowling he has been doing. I have other thoughts but will wait for the final thread.
    zorax, Flem274* and RossTaylorsBox like this.

Quote Originally Posted by wellAlbidarned View Post
    nah, **** that. If you're a batsman playing a key innings in a WC semi-final and someone tells you there's a chance you're not out you stay on the ****ing field.
    Dwta

It is one thing not to walk in a test match when you know you have hit it. But this is a dire rule. You would change your tune if it happens to us in the final.

Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Dwta

It is one thing not to walk in a test match when you know you have hit it. But this is a dire rule. You would change your tune if it happens to us in the final.
    It's a stupid rule and spidercam sucks, but why blame Corey for it? Any and every batsman would stay.

Thread Information