• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Semi Final - New Zealand v South Africa (24th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

anil1405

International Captain
sample size of 1, with every other game cleaned up by more or less the 40th over. Also mclenenenen played that game who is no doubt a liability at times.
The way I look at it, NZ doesn't have enough experience in this WC of bowling in the death. The only time they bowled in the death overs they got smashed so Proteas should consider not losing wickets or going for the attack right from the beginning. Damage can be done in the last 15.

BeeGee

International Captain
You're all missing the obvious, glorious conspiracy theory. Let me get my tin foil hat on...

NZ's bowling averages in this tournament:

DL Vettori 15.73
TA Boult 14.63
AF Milne 39.80
CJ Anderson 14.09
TG Southee 23.46

Spot the odd one out?

Never at any stage during the QF did Milne display any signs of discomfort in his heel. None. Yet after the game it comes to light that it's a WC ending injury and therefore allows him to be replaced in the squad.

McHesson want Henry for the SF. They're going for the full "Shock and Awe" bowling attack.

I really want this to be true. I know it's not, but if I believe hard enough...

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
The way I look at it, NZ doesn't have enough experience in this WC of bowling in the death. The only time they bowled in the death overs they got smashed so Proteas should consider not losing wickets or going for the attack right from the beginning. Damage can be done in the last 15.
I agree, our death bowling is pretty much an unknown quantity. that's kind of what happens when your strategy revolves around bowling out the opposition before 40 overs. "Not losing wickets" against Southee and Boult has proved easier said than done, if you just sit back and allow them to bowl their lines and lengths that's basically surrendering the game.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
1 more sleep to the biggest day in this group of blackcaps lives. This is bigger than the last semi we were in as we have a better chance of winning.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
You're all missing the obvious, glorious conspiracy theory. Let me get my tin foil hat on...

DL Vettori 15.73
TA Boult 14.63
AF Milne 39.80
CJ Anderson 14.09
TG Southee 23.46

Spot the odd one out?

Never at any stage during the QF did Milne display any signs of discomfort in his heel. None. Yet after the game it comes to light that it's a WC ending injury and therefore allows him to be replaced in the squad.

McHesson want Henry for the SF. They're going for the full "Shock and Awe" bowling attack.

Gun theory. Kippax to come out of lurk mode to like this post.

robbypark

U19 Debutant
Somebody want to tell me why South Africa is favored by the bookies for this match? Seems to me like New Zealand is the superior, in-form team. South Africa have already laid two eggs in this tournament to teams they were supposed to beat. Additionally, the game is in New Zealand so what gives? Somebody tell me the reason why I shouldn't bet a large amount on NZ to win at + odds or else I'm betting big.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This WC has been thankfully free of suspect actions. Can we not have Mills leave a stain on it?

wellAlbidarned

International Coach

DL Vettori 15.73
TA Boult 14.63
AF Milne 39.80
CJ Anderson 14.09
TG Southee 23.46

Spot the odd one out?

doesn't he have to be inspected by an ICC approved physio and doctor? The thought of Hesson and Baz tying Milne down to brutalise his heel is a slightly disturbing one

anil1405

International Captain
I agree, our death bowling is pretty much an unknown quantity. that's kind of what happens when your strategy revolves around bowling out the opposition before 40 overs. "Not losing wickets" against Southee and Boult has proved easier said than done, if you just sit back and allow them to bowl their lines and lengths that's basically surrendering the game.
Not attacking doesn't necessarily mean surrendering. They can keep rotating strike and ensure Boult isn't bowling six deliveries at one player.

Southee has been average by his WC standards since his 7-fer against England. If he continues to bowl the same way then Proteas wouldn't be too bothered facing him.

On top of that Kiwis would be picking a bowler whose job was restricted to bowling in the nets throughout the tournament or a bowler who hasn't been with the team for 7-8 weeks and his first WC game would be a semi-final.

Burgey

Somebody want to tell me why South Africa is favored by the bookies for this match? Seems to me like New Zealand is the superior, in-form team. South Africa have already laid two eggs in this tournament to teams they were supposed to beat. Additionally, the game is in New Zealand so what gives? Somebody tell me the reason why I shouldn't bet a large amount on NZ to win at + odds or else I'm betting big.
AB de Villiers

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Not attacking doesn't necessarily mean surrendering. They can keep rotating strike and ensure Boult isn't bowling six deliveries at one player.

Southee has been average by his WC standards since his 7-fer against England. If he continues to bowl the same way then Proteas wouldn't be too bothered facing him.

On top of that Kiwis would be picking a bowler whose job was restricted to bowling in the nets throughout the tournament or a bowler who hasn't been with the team for 7-8 weeks and his first WC game would be a semi-final.
*Waves dick around some more*

Yeah time to let the teams do the talking :toot:

BeeGee

International Captain
doesn't he have to be inspected by an ICC approved physio and doctor? The thought of Hesson and Baz tying Milne down to brutalise his heel is a slightly disturbing one
All he has to do is say "Ow!" every time they touch his heel.

Ask any of the bludgers on workers' compensation with mystery back injuries. Piece of piss.

Zinzan

This is only the 2nd time in the tournament that the kiwis are going to be tested. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't come out on top.
What as opposed to SA losing both games to the only half-decent sides they played? I don't get this logic at all. I heard someone earlier today arguing that it will stand SA in good stead having lost 2 games while qualifying and I just don't buy it. If anything it should make them more nervous and tentative.

Antihippy

International Debutant
Yeah no way are south africa the favourites in this.Having AB de villiers and Amla doesn't help when the rest of your batsmen crumble to any half-decent bowling attack with some pressure behind them.

Zinzan

I see a few people are talking about the fact SA won that series late last year 2-0 against us, but I honestly think that WC warm-up game in which we smashed them is equally as relevant as that series played 6mths ago, even if it was just a warm-up. It was still our guys vs. their guys and although winning isn't crucial in warm-ups, when you get blasted for more than 330 runs and then you lose 5 wickets to Boult, it does mean something psychologically imho.