• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If India wins this WC...

If India wins the WC can they be ranked with the WI and Aus WC sides?

• Yes

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Maybe, but perhaps still need to prove themselves more

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • They've got to get past Bangladesh in the quarters 1st

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Tell him he's dreaming

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Sorry, meant 92.

92 being less than the number of weeks Jono has owed me a steak.
Well them missing out in 92 kinda supports the fact that the same team that won in 87 weren't able to repeat that success, whereas most Australian players and some level of continuity from 96-03 and 99-07. There are some players who overlap but for the most part a lot of the core Australian team was the same in at least 2 or 3 WC's.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
The way I look at it is from a captain's POV, if Dhoni's team gets up this WC than I'll put Dhoni >Ponting/LLoyd from captains who've won 2 consecutive WC's.

If you are looking at it from overall history's perspective than it's definitely Aus > WI > India as far as WC's are concerned. Its very tough to overlook 96 (final), 99 (winner), 03 (winner), 07 (winner) from Australia. They also won in 87, but like India's 83 win they weren't able to build on it afterwards so that was more of a one off.
How is WI > India? India has an extra final and semi final appearance over them.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
How is WI > India? India has an extra final and semi final appearance over them.
Yeah I kinda thought of that after I posted it, I guess its more a question of "sides" than being purely statistical, 75-83 WI had relatively the same set of core players that dominated whereas India's 2 WC wins are formed of completely different set of players. I can see the merit in rating India higher, it just depends on what the exact question is because its a little confusing at the moment, or maybe I'm just not interpreting it the correct way.

Anyways if we're talking strictly just ODI dominance overall than I rate India just below Australia since the turn of the century.

Infact India's record in WC's since 03 looks like this: 23/29 wins with 1 tie. With 07 WC being the only blip so far.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
The West Indies rating is probably biased by Test results too, tbf. Easy thing to do when Indian still suck away from home in the format we all* care about most, while the WI dominated it during the period in question.

*Except Bleed_Blue

SuperMurali

School Boy/Girl Captain
No way. Can't even compare. This team just recently did not qualify for a tri-series final with England as the third side.
...and the 2007 convicts went into the world cup having been whitewashed by England in the tri series finals games, and again against NZ in the Chappell-HADLEE series

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Premature thread. Delete and post again if they win.
Nah, after the WC I'm not thinking about ODI cricket for four years

I personally think they still wouldn't hold a candle to those two great teams but it would be an incredible effort. Can you call it 'punching above their weight' when they've got 1.2 bn people though?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Can't say.

But even if they don't win this one, the Sehwag-Tendulkar-Gambhir-Kohli-Yuvraj-Dhoni-Raina-Ashwin batting lineup from the 2011 WC was probably as good as any in history.

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
This Indian ODI side's chances of being regarded as the greatest ever are about as good as the chances of Jono buying me that steak he still owes me, even after catching up with he and Smudge for lunch today. WAC
You'd have cracked the ****s if I bought you a 17 dollar salt and pepper squid pub meal and claimed we were even.
We wouldn't have been even, but you'd have had some credit in the bank ffs.
"We have to go back to Verandah" says Jono, before adding "in 2025".
Sorry, meant 92.

92 being less than the number of weeks Jono has owed me a steak.
I'm not gonna be your tab ffs
If it would have stopped you two bickering on here, I would have happily allowed Jono to pay for my chilli and garlic prawn linguine.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
I think that would make this even more special.

The WI and Aus ODI outfits were incredibly dominant and were outright favourites to win the WCs, and did so without so much as breaking a sweat. They dominated before, during, and after the WCs. Their sides were stacked with legitimate ATGs.

This India side and the one in 2011 aren't/weren't that good, and didn't have that invincible aura coming into the competition. But they somehow found a new level when it started.

Guys like Muaf Patel and Shami aren't bowlers you expect to be bowling their sides to WC victories. Yuvraj turned into a demi-god for the 2011 edition. Dhawan and Gambhir found unexpected form, and Dhoni is such an incredible player in these situations.

This team and the 2011 one aren't ATG outfits, yet somehow find a way to win big games and make it look easy.

If anything that should rank them higher than the WI and Aus sides. Not in terms of quality, but in terms of performances with respect to skills. They truly have been remarkable.
No, India won the 2011 world cup due to lack of competition, a weak Pakistani squad nearly knocked them out of the world cup. India were favorites to win that world cup, especially at home. I don't think it was an incredible achievement the likes of which we have seen from other world cup winning sides, i.e even India in the 80s.

Winning this world cup will certainly be special, because they aren't the favorites, but for it to be really impressive, they still need to beat Australia.

The current Indian team has an outstanding batting lineup but which big games are you talking about? Their ODI form was horrendous leading into the world cup, and they have really only beaten South Africa so far in the tournament in a game which they were not favorites. South Africa has been below par throughout.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
No, India won the 2011 world cup due to lack of competition, a weak Pakistani squad nearly knocked them out of the world cup. India were favorites to win that world cup, especially at home. I don't think it was an incredible achievement the likes of which we have seen from other world cup winning sides, i.e even India in the 80s.

Winning this world cup will certainly be special, because they aren't the favorites, but for it to be really impressive, they still need to beat Australia.

The current Indian team has an outstanding batting lineup but which big games are you talking about? Their ODI form was horrendous leading into the world cup, and they have really only beaten South Africa so far in the tournament in a game which they were not favorites. South Africa has been below par throughout.
I love how you post like you are the God of cricket and what is a good achievement and what is not.

And by love I mean find absolutely woeful. Who'd have thought that winning a global tournament would be so easy hey.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
I love how you post like you are the God of cricket and what is a good achievement and what is not.

And by love I mean find absolutely woeful. Who'd have thought that winning a global tournament would be so easy hey.
Sure was damn easy for Australia in 03 and 07.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

I actually think he's completely wrong, too, on top of that. He seems to be suggesting that winning the WC partly due to short-term form, variance or momentum is somehow better than just winning it because you're the best side. The former may create a more emotional story to tell years down the line, but it's not somehow better than winning after establishing deserved favouritism by assembling a genuinely strong side and doing well in ODIs for a sustained period leading up to the Cup first. I'd argue the opposite if anything.

Last edited:

mohammad16

U19 Captain
I actually think he's completely wrong, too, on top of that. He seems to be suggesting that winning the WC partly due to short-term form, variance or momentum is somehow better than just winning it because you're the best side. The former may create a more emotional story to tell years down the line, but it's not somewhat better than winning after establishing deserved favouritism by assembling a genuinely strong side and doing well in ODIs for a sustained period leading up to the Cup first.
Who seems to be suggesting that? Pakistan had no business winning the 1992 world cup, India had no business winning the 83 world cup, Sri Lanka caught fire during the 1996 world cup, so there are plenty of world cups where the best sides did not win. It was simply a matter of form, and peaking at the right time. This isn't test cricket, anyone has a chance on their day, and this is what makes the world cup so exciting. Unless of course you have a side as strong as the Australian ODI side which won 3 consecutive world cups, they were simply way too good on paper compared to anyone else in 03 and 07. It is hardly a surprise then that both 03 and 07 world cups were quite boring. So it goes both ways, and form can play a huge role in upsetting far better sides.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The World Cup is the World Cup. No other ODI tournament counts. If you win it, you should automatically be number one in the ODI rankings, which should reset after each WC.

Seriously, who cares about any other ODI series but this? It's that important. So, if you win it, you deserve massive kudos because you've been the best team when it's mattered. Saying team X or Y didn't deserve to win a WC is bollocks. They did what they had to do when they had to do it. Sure teams like SL in 96 and Pakistan in 92 peaked for three weeks, but that's the game ffs. I mean, SA were the best side going into the 99 WC, Australia was terrible during the early stages and managed to drag their way into the Super Sixes before getting on a run. Likewise, the England 05 team got on a roll with their mint eating proclivities to win the Ashes against a far superior Australian side. They weren't fit to carry that Australian team's jockstraps, but they won when they had to. That's sport ffs.

That's what tourneys are about. Teams can win however many football friendlies or however many ODI series in between WCs (or in football, The Euros). No one remembers them. All that gets remembered is World Cups.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Nah disagree with that. Consistency over years is what the rankings are about, which is a different thing to what winning a world cup means.

It's up to the fans to decide which they actually care about.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
The World Cup is the World Cup. No other ODI tournament counts. If you win it, you should automatically be number one in the ODI rankings, which should reset after each WC.

Seriously, who cares about any other ODI series but this? It's that important. So, if you win it, you deserve massive kudos because you've been the best team when it's mattered. Saying team X or Y didn't deserve to win a WC is bollocks. They did what they had to do when they had to do it. Sure teams like SL in 96 and Pakistan in 92 peaked for three weeks, but that's the game ffs. I mean, SA were the best side going into the 99 WC, Australia was terrible during the early stages and managed to drag their way into the Super Sixes before getting on a run. Likewise, the England 05 team got on a roll with their mint eating proclivities to win the Ashes against a far superior Australian side. They weren't fit to carry that Australian team's jockstraps, but they won when they had to. That's sport ffs.

That's what tourneys are about. Teams can win however many football friendlies or however many ODI series in between WCs (or in football, The Euros). No one remembers them. All that gets remembered is World Cups.
Serious query. Why do many here feel this way? A team that has been dominant in ODIs for a considerable period of time over the 4 years might just have a bad day in a WC knockout and get knocked out. Will that mean that the other side is greater than this one? To me, 1983 WI team was much better than the 1983 Indian team. Getting upset in the WC final doesn't change that and make that Indian side the best in the world.

mohammad16

U19 Captain

Terrible argument, what is the point in playing countless ODI series if the world cup is all that counts? Teams are concerned about ODI rankings all the time, it's one of the reasons why ODI series remain competitive. You could argue that winning the world cup should be given more weight in the ranking calculations, but to render other odi series/tournaments irrelevant in terms of world ODI rankings is BS.