• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th Quarter Final - New Zealand v West Indies (21st March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flem274*

123/5
1. Stirling (5)
2. Simmons
3. Joyce
4. Samuels (7)
5. O'Brien, N
6. Ramdin +
7. Sammy (6)
8. Holder (3)
9. Taylor (1)
10. Roach (2)
11. Dockrell (4)

If Simmons opening the batting is cheating, then bring Porterfield in. But the West Indies still dominates that comparison; they're still better players. Ireland's just a far better team in terms of actually being a team. WI are **** because they're so bloody fragmented and wracked with conflict; they need a new Worrell to show up. Ireland are good because they've become a genuinely tight-knit unit (fights during intense warm-up games at training notwithstanding) and improved as a team.

If the West Indies can get their best XI on the park and motivated, as well as getting some semblance of functionality into their administration, then they'd wipe the floor with Ireland time and time again.
excuses and missing the point. i don't deny a proper west indian side would be powerful or that the windies have the better bowling.

people can revise history as much as they like but fact is this west indies side is very limited by their method and not playing very well, and ireland did not fluke that odi win. Windies are still exceptionally talented in the ball striking and bowling departments so quite capable of beating anyone in the world but let's not sit here and pretend dwayne smith is on part with the Irish top four, which was my point all along.

ireland deserved their win, it was not a fluke. that has been my point and i don't care if the west indies all tried to murder each other the night before. good for them.

i'm equally scared of ireland as i am of the west indies side in front of us i.e. one in five chance, because both teams are still good and have some very good players. the proper west indian team being more powerful than ireland is a pointless argument because i've never said otherwise and it's not going to play on saturday or probably for the next 12 months.

anyway i've done enough jinxing of nz so i'll let you all go back to hardcore gambhiring. if we lose on the weekend it's the west indies' playing well and your guys fault for being such sooks, not mine for saying they're equal to ireland. i'm not insulting the windies, i'm praising both sides for being traditional top eight standard.

go the black caps and welcome back west indies. should be a good game.

Last edited:

JediNudist

U19 Debutant
1. Stirling (5)
2. Simmons
3. Joyce
4. Samuels (7)
5. O'Brien, N
6. Ramdin +
7. Sammy (6)
8. Holder (3)
9. Taylor (1)
10. Roach (2)
11. Dockrell (4)

If Simmons opening the batting is cheating, then bring Porterfield in. But the West Indies still dominates that comparison; they're still better players. Ireland's just a far better team in terms of actually being a team. WI are **** because they're so bloody fragmented and wracked with conflict; they need a new Worrell to show up. Ireland are good because they've become a genuinely tight-knit unit (fights during intense warm-up games at training notwithstanding) and improved as a team.

If the West Indies can get their best XI on the park and motivated, as well as getting some semblance of functionality into their administration, then they'd wipe the floor with Ireland time and time again.

well they lost to Ireland so bringing up what could have been seems a waste of time

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
excuses and missing the point. i don't deny a proper west indian side would be powerful or that the windies have the better bowling.

people can revise history as much as they like but fact is this west indies side is very limited by their method and not playing very well, and ireland did not fluke that odi win. Windies are still exceptionally talented in the ball striking and bowling departments so quite capable of beating anyone in the world but let's not sit here and pretend dwayne smith is on part with the Irish top four, which was my point all along.

ireland deserved their win, it was not a fluke. that has been my point and i don't care if the west indies all tried to murder each other the night before. good for them.

i'm equally scared of ireland as i am of the west indies side in front of us i.e. one in five chance, because both teams are still good and have some very good players. the proper west indian team being more powerful than ireland is a pointless argument because i've never said otherwise and it's not going to play on saturday or probably for the next 12 months.

anyway i've done enough jinxing of nz so i'll let you all go back to hardcore gambhiring. if we lose on the weekend it's the west indies' playing well and your guys fault for being such sooks, not mine for saying they're equal to ireland. i'm not insulting the windies, i'm praising both sides for being traditional top eight standard.

go the black caps and welcome back west indies. should be a good game.
Oh come on. Even if one were to accept the argument that the two sides are equally matched, and that the Ireland v WI game wasn't a case of one team playing well below their potential and getting beaten by a weaker side playing their absolute best (and I obviously don't), you can't seriously think that Ireland would have a 1/5 chance of beating NZ with that bowling attack. NZ will score 350+ against them every time with their medium pacers and no-break bowlers, and Ireland's batting simply isn't good enough to make that many runs - especially not against a bowling attack as good as New Zealand's. It's for this reason that they're not a traditional top-8 standard side, and won't be unless they can get Rankin back and bring a couple of other good bowlers through.

Flem274*

123/5
do you really think dwayne smith, johnson charles, samuels with his eye gone, gayle with his eye gone etc etc have great odds to get out of single digits?

stop looking at the names on the team sheet (not something i thought i'd ever accuse you of) and look at them as players right now.

the excuses being made for the west indies do my head in. they didn't play below their potential (they scored 300 ffs) - the team they played just isn't better than ireland.

if we didn't have a big game must win knock out match against them on saturday i'd tell you exactly what i think our bowlers, even our second string, would do to that batting line up most days but i'm not going to because i'm only slightly less of a gambhiring sook than you lot and i'm scared gayle, samuels or one of the hitters is going to give me the tastle to end all tastles.

Howsie

International Captain
well corey is a cantab so...
Who in all probability wouldn't be where he is now if he didn't move to ND at 20 on his own accord. He was overweight and serverly injury prone when he moved up here. He stays down there at Canterbury and he probably isn't bowling anymore. He has a bad rep around here but Grant Bradburn really did save his career.

Flem274*

123/5
i was just winding you up :p

bradburn does sound like a good one on one coach. just really bits and pieces with his selections and weird moneyball type philosophies. and he's biased, which makes us all hate him.

Flem274*

123/5
fmd it would be so funny if the windies smash SA at Eden Park with darren sammy getting it hooping. he's the sort of bowler who will get a lift there if he bowls it in the right areas.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
do you really think dwayne smith, johnson charles, samuels with his eye gone, gayle with his eye gone etc etc have great odds to get out of single digits?

stop looking at the names on the team sheet (not something i thought i'd ever accuse you of) and look at them as players right now.

the excuses being made for the west indies do my head in. they didn't play below their potential (they scored 300 ffs) - the team they played just isn't better than ireland.

if we didn't have a big game must win knock out match against them on saturday i'd tell you exactly what i think our bowlers, even our second string, would do to that batting line up most days but i'm not going to because i'm only slightly less of a gambhiring sook than you lot and i'm scared gayle, samuels or one of the hitters is going to give me the tastle to end all tastles.
I think they have a much better chance of edging their way to a total that they can defend with their bowling attack (or vv if they bowl first). They're a much more well balanced side even in their current state than Ireland are, and their strengths are also much more suited to exploiting NZ's weaknesses.

And I'm getting sick and tired of the argument just because Ireland won that means they can't be a worse side than WI. WI thrashed Pakistan, and Pakistan beat SA. Sometimes lesser sides beat stronger ones.

And to be clear I'm not gambhiring at all. I've already said we should hammer WI on Saturday. My point isn't about them being good, it's about them being better than Ireland.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Anderson looks exactly the same, giving some credence to Kippax's assertions that he's just an early blooming spud.
I used to be a playground supervisor at Corey Anderson's old school. He was almost as strong as I was when he was 11 and I was a 6'7" fully grown man.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
LOL well what a read this has been!!..i go away for five minutes and suddenly the kiwis have turned into Aus 2003 and WI are no better than an associate team? :laugh:

Let me break down a few facts for my misguided friends

1. I think everyone is fully aware that we've entered into this competition with a very dark cloud hanging over our cricket...several players missing due to being punished (Bravo and Polly) , injured (Darren Bravo) or just lacking the right mindset and fitness to being considered (Narine, Powell and Rampaul). That's effectively half our best side right there.

2. We also don't have a real head-coach at this world cup so is it any wonder the players are slacking and play hot and cold?

3. I see a lot of arrogance from my NZ friends here and i guess that's to be expected having not tasted much success before but i'd like to remind everyone that in recent years where ODI's are concerned only one team between NZ and WI has ruled the roost...4-1 win for us at home and 2-2 draw in NZ when again we had a very depleted side there too!!..so in the last NINE ODI's the score is 6-3 in our favour. That goes out the window on Friday but from a mental point of view we really have nothing to fear.

4. As much as NZ have impressed with the ball their batting has serious question marks around it imo.The Aus game was a thriller but that was only because NZ allowed it to be with such poor, and nervous batting...if we get 250 they will feel the pressure i think.

5. Yes, we lost to Ireland by being totally slack and adopting the wrong tactics when we bowled..it can happen. To suggest that that victory somehow means they are "equal" or "better" than us is just complete and utter garbage...They've also beaten England and Pakistan in world cups...i don't think anyone was naive enough to think Ireland were really better than those sides and the same remains true in this instance. Nine times out of ten we'll deal with them comfortably and i think most knowledgeable cricket fans know that.

With our bogey team (SA) through to the semi-finals i'm not even all that bothered if we win tbh...it's probably better to exit now than to hand De Villiers another record breaking ton and that clown Tehir another 5fer!! 8-) .

The bottom line is all the pressure is all on NZ here and less pressure makes our guys very dangerous...i have a feeling we'll upset the apple-cart but if not then good luck to NZ moving forward.

Howsie

International Captain
As much as NZ have impressed with the ball their batting has serious question marks around it imo.The Aus game was a thriller but that was only because NZ allowed it to be with such poor, and nervous batting...if we get 250 they will feel the pressure i think.
Serious question marks? Forgetting Kane Williamson, Brendon McCullum and Ross Taylor for a second New Zealand have four batsman in Guptill, Elliott, Anderson and Ronchi who all average in the mid 30's. Something that would comfortably make them one of the best bats in the Windies for example. If New Zealand have serious questions over their batting then so do 99 percent of the other teams in this tournament.

New Zealand should win and win well. I'm not going to do a Phelgm and claim Ireland would've been a harder match because they wouldn't be. But at the end of the day it doesn't really matter, Ireland or the Windies, NZ are flogging both.