• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th Quarter Final - New Zealand v West Indies (21st March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
There is a very big gap between the Irish top four and the current West Indian top four. Gayle will make me tastle it so hard on the weekend but that WI top four is playing like absolute mud and for most of them it's not going to be reversed. Smith and Charles just aren't that great, Gayle is fighting hard but his back and his age are screwing him over and Samuels can't decide whether he's a god or a hack.

I agree on the allrounders. Sammy and Russell hurt the bowling but help the batting.

I know I sound like your average mid-2000s Aussie casual proclaiming no NZer would even make Aussie shield cricket but this West Indian side, like all sides missing their best players, is not better than Ireland or Bangladesh.

The West Indies can win on Saturday, but they should be so much more than that.
I honestly think you're letting your dislike of WI's underachieving, and your admiration for Ireland's overachieving colour your views on this issue (much as you did when you were ranting about how awful Bangladesh were a couple of weeks ago).

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I honestly think you're letting your dislike of WI's underachieving, and your admiration for Ireland's overachieving colour your views on this issue (much as you did when you were ranting about how awful Bangladesh were a couple of weeks ago).
This and had I typed this I would have played up his bangers bashing more in the sentence to explain why I suspect there is non linear logic behind his views.

JediNudist

U19 Debutant
Would anyone seriously prefer to be playing WI over Ireland?
Haha no I was praying for rain in the Windies UAE final pool match at Napier but alas it wasn't to be and Windies sneaked in on NRR ahead of Ireland. Rather NZ player Ireland but the Windies are the worst of the 8 qualifiers I suppose.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
I normally subscribe to the idea that knockout games among the top 8 sides are all about who holds their nerve, but that's neither here nor there. Seeing how the sides are *likely* to fare against each other, here's how I look at it.

The probability of the Windies coping with and destroying the NZ attack is pretty low. If Gayle or those lower order hitters have a good day, it's a bit like bowling to Afridi, there's really not much NZ can do about it but target the other end. But the odds of the Windies setting a target that'll blow NZ out of the water aren't great. If both sides play to potential (which would make Samuels/Ramdin/Simmons a major factor), I reckon 270 rather than 320 is what the Windies are likely to get. My feeling is NZ would have to bowl really badly to concede 320+ (or fail to defend it), given that Anderson and Vettori have been exceptional with the ball.

Where it gets more interesting is NZ's top four vs the Windies pacemen. Though Roach has been a disappointment, he along with Taylor/Holder/Russell and possibly Benn form an attack which will challenge NZ more than the Banglas (far more sustained attacking options). Their fifth bowler is an area of weakness, and NZ can really cash in there if they give themselves the chance. The Elliot/Anderson/Ronchi middle order is a real asset, but only provided they don't have to come out in the tenth over or something (like in the Australia game). So there's a bit of added pressure on the top 4 to front up. It's an even matchup for me and could go a long way to deciding the game.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Nope. A comvined side would have rish top order batting and windies bpwling. Ireland have good playersbow and people need to deal with it rather than pretend the windies performance was an aberration.

Are we really going to pretend smith or charles would open the batting for ireland right now if they could?

I see both teams as an equal threatand capable of beating us if they play well and hide their weaknesses. Me thinking ireland are good doesn't mean I think the windies can't win this game. Of course they can, they're one of the few teams to give us a hiding in recent years

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Cbf. If you think the west indies are a level above ireland I cant see how you can see it. Gayle isnt gayle anymore evenif he creams us on saturday. Samuels is feast or famine because of his technique and smith, charles...these are not good plauers. Had they sent out their best side and in form they would be wuality but they're not. They probably have a gun performance in there still but itsa one in five games thing.

Ireland were the better team because they had the better batting and their ****ebowling kept it somewhat in reach. Dem haters man.
If you're arguing that their best side includes Dwayne Bravo then it's still ****.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
If you're arguing that their best side includes Dwayne Bravo then it's still ****.
Yeah because the guy that averaged 45 with the bat at a strike-rate of 90 over the last 12 months and took wickets at 20, bowled crucial overs at the death and is one of the Worlds best fielders is clearly total ****.

His dropping is the one that made no sense. Pollard you could actually make an argument for dropping if you really wanted but Bravo had just been announced as the allrounder in the ICC ODI team of the year and had performed superbly with both bat and ball.

The biggest lost is Narine though. Benn is rubbish and our bowling attack has no real mystery or variety. Two right arm seamers bowling at 140kph, 1 tall tight armer bowling at 130kph, a right arm dibbly dobbly bowler and an ordinary left arm spinner hardly make form the most varied attack.

Last edited:

Binkley

U19 Captain
I have a feeling Sammy, Benn and Holder might enjoy bowling at the Cake-Tin on Saturday. The forecast is for wind and some cloud, which means that Southee is unlikely to get the same swing as he got on that glorious still and sunny day when we faced England. And the Cake-Tin's unusual bounce is likely to benefit the taller bowlers.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm probably painting windows again this weekend. Should I try and do another go at only watching the game on replay?

Perhaps not if it's a day/nighter.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Anderson looks exactly the same, giving some credence to Kippax's assertions that he's just an early blooming spud.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Nope. A comvined side would have rish top order batting and windies bpwling. Ireland have good playersbow and people need to deal with it rather than pretend the windies performance was an aberration.

Are we really going to pretend smith or charles would open the batting for ireland right now if they could?

I see both teams as an equal threatand capable of beating us if they play well and hide their weaknesses. Me thinking ireland are good doesn't mean I think the windies can't win this game. Of course they can, they're one of the few teams to give us a hiding in recent years

1. Stirling (5)
2. Simmons
3. Joyce
4. Samuels (7)
5. O'Brien, N
6. Ramdin +
7. Sammy (6)
8. Holder (3)
9. Taylor (1)
10. Roach (2)
11. Dockrell (4)

If Simmons opening the batting is cheating, then bring Porterfield in. But the West Indies still dominates that comparison; they're still better players. Ireland's just a far better team in terms of actually being a team. WI are **** because they're so bloody fragmented and wracked with conflict; they need a new Worrell to show up. Ireland are good because they've become a genuinely tight-knit unit (fights during intense warm-up games at training notwithstanding) and improved as a team.

If the West Indies can get their best XI on the park and motivated, as well as getting some semblance of functionality into their administration, then they'd wipe the floor with Ireland time and time again.