• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Quarter Final - South Africa v Sri Lanka (18th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

anil1405

International Captain
What makes you believe Parnell would make the side look more balanced?

There is hardly any difference when we look at the batting abilities of Parnell, Philander and Abbott. All three are just about alright. And all three are not worthy of batting at 7 but thats another story.

I wonder if you've seen Parnell bowl? He has been atrocious and Abbott has been among the wickets this WC. So Abbott would be the sensible choice if Proteas opt for 5 bowlers.

biased indian

International Coach
What makes you believe Parnell would make the side look more balanced?

There is hardly any difference when we look at the batting abilities of Parnell, Philander and Abbott. All three are just about alright. And all three are not worthy of batting at 7 but thats another story.

I wonder if you've seen Parnell bowl? He has been atrocious and Abbott has been among the wickets this WC. So Abbott would be the sensible choice if Proteas opt for 5 bowlers.
Parnell batting avg is same as the other 2 combined (23 = 10+12)..again agreed he is not a good bowler compared to the other 2 but he is more of an all rounder than the other 2

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think Parnell is that bad.
He's not as bad as most of CW makes him out to be true, but he makes them more unbalanced and his bowling isn't very good anyway. Would be a big mistake if he got picked.

anil1405

International Captain
He's not as bad as most of CW makes him out to be true, but he makes them more unbalanced and his bowling isn't very good anyway. Would be a big mistake if he got picked.
Don't let the numbers fool you. He isn't much better than the other two with the bat. On the other hand his bowling is crap. South Africa are ****ed if they pick Parnell for this game.

Edit: The reply was for biased indian's post

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Parnell's career stats mean nothing at this stage. He's just so awful at every aspect of cricket at the moment that saying he Averages 23 with the bat has about as much relevance as saying that Nasir Jamshed should be selected if Pakistan meet India in the semifinal because he Averages 103 v India.

biased indian

International Coach
Parnell's career stats mean nothing at this stage. He's just so awful at every aspect of cricket at the moment that saying he Averages 23 with the bat has about as much relevance as saying that Nasir Jamshed should be selected if Pakistan meet India in the semifinal because he Averages 103 v India.
We are not talking about selecting a player into the final 15 or 30 .its about selecting one to 11 out of 15. since he is in the world cup squad already he has to be the best they have. My say is SA have to select 5 bowlers in QF and in that case they might select an All rounder rather than a pure bowler. but i am in no way advocating his selection.and at the end they may stick on to the team that played last game and the fifth bowler is going to hurt therm big time

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
SL to bat first, score 280.

SA to cruise to 220-2 with 10 overs to go, then lose 7 wickets for 50 runs needing 10 off last over. 5 dots balls then Steyn bops Malinga over long on for 6 off the last ball.

smash84

The Tiger King
I get the feeling that SA will win this QF. I think AB bigging up his team all WC will finally throw some dividends back.

tatsuro185

Cricket Spectator
Amla is the key to a south african victory, if he goes cheaply the rest is basically up to AB and mabye Faf the rest of the SA lineup looks too inconsistent. If they bat first they will need a semi ridiculous total, SL looked like they could chase down anything when they played AUS, Sangakarra looks to settled and Dilshan looks menacing.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Big game tomorrow. Can't wait!

SL have to win the toss and bat first. Sanga gets another ton. Jayawardene is long over due and should contribute big in this game. Get a 300+ score and tighten the screws on SA with their spinner. GO SL!

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
I have almost no hope. Im kind of relying that de kock is key to success...

Also im hoping a snowball has a chance in hell.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
btw what happened to Kaushal Silva? Is he in the squad? Looked like another jayasuriya
Kaushal Silva is a steady opening bat in tests, he's playing grade cricket here in Aus atm I think. You're thinking of Kusal Perera I think, he is in the squad and may well find himself batting at 6 or 7 tomorrow

smash84

The Tiger King
Kaushal Silva is a steady opening bat in tests, he's playing grade cricket here in Aus atm I think. You're thinking of Kusal Perera I think, he is in the squad and may well find himself batting at 6 or 7 tomorrow
sorry, yes. Kusal Perera probably. Is he the same guy who was tried in different positions in LO cricket? His flick off the legs was just like Jayasuriyas

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Been tried mainly as an opener in ODIs and t20s with limited success, certainly resembles Jayasuria with the way we can hit the ball flat and very hard using his bottom hand