• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Quarter Final - South Africa v Sri Lanka (18th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
want SA to win because the **** half of their team won't handle a hostile eden park crowd and some of the brilliant half might get affected too.

sri lanka would deal with it better.
Maybe, but New Zealand's weakness is undoubtedly in their batting. It's became fairly clear this summer that SRL don't really have the bowling to exploit that weakness. South Africa on the other hand undoubtedly do. For that reason - assuming we make the semi - I'd much rather play SRL.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
SA to lose the toss and win the match. Everyone begins to say its there year and then they fail spectacularly in the semi IMO.

Flem274*

123/5
Maybe, but New Zealand's weakness is undoubtedly in their batting. It's became fairly clear this summer that SRL don't really have the bowling to exploit that weakness. South Africa on the other hand undoubtedly do. For that reason - assuming we make the semi - I'd much rather play SRL.
South Africa have a big hole called the crappy 5th bowler at Eden Park. That will let us off the hook somewhat.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
South Africa have a big hole called the crappy 5th bowler at Eden Park. That will let us off the hook somewhat.
The absence of a decent 5th bowler didn't hurt them when they toured here last September. And yeah we have Williamson and Taylor back now so top order collapses are less likely, but they didn't stop us from falling over v Australia - and it wasn't the 5th bowler that instigated that collapse.

Flem274*

123/5
they've got half a team of ATGs and half a team of filth. we've got that many world class players and the rest are solid. plus we have the balls. we will smash them*

*unless they play a token bangladeshi

p.s. may be making a semi-reasonable point from a dark smelly orifice.

biased indian

International Coach
SA fifth bowler is going to hurt them big time when they are defending a score less than 300..should play Parnell against SL

biased indian

International Coach
Nothing hurts South Africa more than playing Parnell.
ideally they have to go in with 4 seamers and 1 spinner ..but the reluctants they have shown till now to play 5 bowlers and added the pressure of QF and the way they have chased . he is their only option rt

anil1405

International Captain
Firstly it looks like Proteas wouldn't pick 4 seamers and 1 spinner and even if they do they should and would opt for Abbott ahead of Parnell.

Niall

International Coach
SA fifth bowler is going to hurt them big time when they are defending a score less than 300..should play Parnell against SL
Its a tough one really, Beherdien and Duminy could struggle.

Maybe, try Philander at seven and Abbot at 8? S

QDK OR Roussow
Amla-ABDV-Miller-Duminy- Philander
Abbot- Steyn- Morkel- Tahir

seriously brittle lower order though.

biased indian

International Coach
Firstly it looks like Proteas wouldn't pick 4 seamers and 1 spinner and even if they do they should and would opt for Abbott ahead of Parnell.
Amla
Du Plessis
Rossouw
De Villiers (C and Wk)
Miller
Duminy/Behardien
Philander
Steyn
Abbott
Morkel
Tahir

Long tail but this is the team i would like to see against SL..one of the top 4 has to score 120+..but doubt they will go in with this team.. hence saying parnell might get a look instead of a pace bowler

anil1405

International Captain
I'd rather play with 10 players if I had to pick Parnell.

Plus AB has shown faith in DeKock so he looks a certainty for the QF. And Proteas never opted for 5 bowlers in the group games so I don't see why they would change the strategy now. If playing 5 bowlers was in their mind then they would've given it a shot in the group stage. This might be the team for the QF:

Amla
DeKock
Faf
AB
Miller
Duminy
Behardien
Philander
Steyn
Morkel
Tahir

anil1405

International Captain
My bad, Proteas did play 5 bowlers against India but reverted back to playing 4 bowlers thereafter.

If they do opt for 5 bowlers again it surely must be Abbott ahead of Parnell. Abbott has been among the wickets this WC so makes sense to have him ahead of Parnell.

biased indian

International Coach
My bad, Proteas did play 5 bowlers against India but reverted back to playing 4 bowlers thereafter.

If they do opt for 5 bowlers again it surely must be Abbott ahead of Parnell. Abbott has been among the wickets this WC so makes sense to have him ahead of Parnell.
Agree parnell is not a good choice at all. but lot of thing will come into consideration when they pick the eleven. surely they should not go in with 4 bowlers into QF match and only option where they can say they tried to have a balanced team is unfortunately with parnell in. if AB goes in with any other XI and wins every thing is good but if they fail.surely the blame will be on him ..don't know why they didn't try this combination in the last game.