• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cummins or Hazlewood?

halba

International 12th Man
Who should aussies go with in the QF vs pakistan?

cummins:

pro: greater variety, greater pace, better strike rate. wicket taking bowler that can bowl good wicket taking balls mixed in wit not so good ones. shock factor. one day games are won by wickets not economy rate. complements the attack nicely, with all 3 bowlers bowling 140kph+

cons: very expensive vs minnows scotland and NZ in a low scoring match. bowls a lot of '6' and '4' type deliveries,not ideal against better sides. already have two quick bowlers that do a similar type of job.

hazlewood:

pro: a much better test bowler(but is it relevant to one days?) with a reputation of being tidy. Good bounce, height,. has destroyed south african batting lineup already this summer(in perth, a low scoring game). Complements the left arm attack, in the sense he as a right armer is looking to keep it tight.

cons: reputation of being tidy aside, he is mostly a good tests red ball bowler. Has been hit recently, with his lengths being too predictable and hittable. not enough pace only bowls 130-135kph. did not impress v eng and afghans.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Hazlewood

Cummins is quality but give me Mr Reliable when you have Johnson and some hittable allrounders in the side. It's not like he lacks firepower either. Kid is class.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Haze would be a fantastic option when there's a bit in the deck. I'm not sure he would be any better than Cunmins in conditions where it's flat though. I'd probably run with a horses for courses selection between the two of them

Swingpanzee

International Regular
Haze. The control he adds to the bowling is more preferable. Cummins can get wickets but goes for runs too, and when you have Johnson and Watson you wouldn't want an extra hosepipe.

Justo

U19 Debutant
Haze. Just think he's the better bowler at this stage. Cummins may become better in the long run but just seems a little raw at the moment (understandable given the amount of cricket he's missed out on over the past few years). Would also back Haze in a pressure situation over Cummins atm as well.

morgieb

Haze. Adds control in a side with more attacking oriented bowlers, and probably just a better bowler in general at this point in their careers.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Worth keeping in mind that Starc's been McGrath-esque in this World Cup to date. He's taking poles for fun while also being the reliable stock bowler -- never seems to go for runs. If Starc weren't so economical, you'd be picking Starc-Johnson-Hazlewood every time. With Starc doing what he's doing now, it makes Cummins become a genuine option for the selectors.

I'd probably go Hazlewood still, though.

Burgey

Cummins also like ato hit the winning runs in close chases. Haze can't do that.

halba

International 12th Man
the consensus is haze, and the raw cummins needs more time to get his bowling sorted for international level.

lets see what the selectors decide friday.

haze a better long term option.

haze stats -24 av, 4.7 econ
cummins stats- 30.36 ave 6 econ

Last edited: