• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Best Team from the Group Stage

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I like how India have done well in the group stages and yet no one really stands out enough to be justified a starting spot in a combined XI.. Maybe Dhawan excluded.. After years of seeing individuals do great and team not so great, this is a welcome change of pace.. Long may it last.. And now that I have said it, I am gonna fear BD thrashing us at MCG :(

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
And FWIW, this is my XI from the group stages with the proviso that I missed quite a few of the games and caught most non-India games only on highlights...

Dhawan
B Mac (c)
Sanga
Taylor (wk)
ABDV
Maxwell
Anderson
Vettori
Starc
Southee
Boult

Might make Starc the 3rd seamer though... Crazy that 2,3,4 and 5 are all wicket keepers too :)

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Im not saying boult hasnt been good either but i think Southee and Starc are a level above at the moment.
How the **** has Southee been better than Boult? Didn't bowl well against Australia, bowled a decent opening spell against Lanka, demolished England, couldn't get a wicket against Afghanistan (lol) and to top it all off had first go at Kayes and couldn't take his wicket. It's hardly like he's been stellar in the middle overs or at the death where most of Boult's criticism comes in either..

Spark

Global Moderator
Mate I only smoke the good **** but there's no cricketer in the world who has watched both of them bowl and pick Shami.

Unless you're talking purely for 3rd seamer reasons - in which case you're still wrong but the point is somewhat close to being justified.
Not really the point though.

Athlai

Not Terrible
How the **** has Southee been better than Boult? Didn't bowl well against Australia, bowled a decent opening spell against Lanka, demolished England, couldn't get a wicket against Afghanistan (lol) and to top it all off had first go at Kayes and couldn't take his wicket. It's hardly like he's been stellar in the middle overs or at the death where most of Boult's criticism comes in either..
Didn't bowl well against Australia? His first spell was poor because his ball wasn't swinging but when he came on from Boults end it sang for him too.

Sometimes there are games you don't get wickets despite deserving them. Southee is a far more complete ODI bowler than Boult.

Jimbo the giant

U19 12th Man
Didn't bowl well against Australia? His first spell was poor because his ball wasn't swinging but when he came on from Boults end it sang for him too.

Sometimes there are games you don't get wickets despite deserving them. Southee is a far more complete ODI bowler than Boult.
Take the Southee pjs off Athlai.

The ball was not singing for Southee in that game at all. The ball he got Finch with was good apart from that nahh he was not good at all. His first over was the worst over in the history of cricket. I was thinking he had set the tone for one of our most embarrassing defeats. Luckily for him Vettori and Boult saved the day.

Southee is 0/100 against Afghanistan and Bangas that isn't making my team of the tournament. Honestly Shami and Morkel have been more consistent.

Surprised to see Davey get a mention if you saw him bowl you wouldn't. All he has is troll wickets.

Last edited:

Jimbo the giant

U19 12th Man
it reminded me a lot of early hilfenhaus and southee tbh i.e. not quite full enough or consistently bowling his areas, so the ball beats the bat and looks good but never takes the edge.

it's the usual indian story. he came onto the scene swinging it both ways at respectable pace and destroying sides and now the non-threatening no movement medium pace factory is threatening him.
Shami is as quick as ever, moves the ball enough. He's improved.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
"it's the usual indian story. he came onto the scene swinging it both ways at respectable pace and destroying sides and now the non-threatening no movement medium pace factory is threatening him"

This is probably the most inaccurate statement about Shami out there, outside of the debut home series against WI on a pitch which was reversing, he has never "destroyed sides". Shami has always been overrated in test matches, bowling the occasional good ball with a bunch of leg side and short and wide rubbish.

In ODI's he's been India's best death bowler and just best bowler in general. The highest wicket taker since 2014.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Take the Southee pjs off Athlai.

The ball was not singing for Southee in that game at all. The ball he got Finch with was good apart from that nahh he was not good at all. His first over was the worst over in the history of cricket. I was thinking he had set the tone for one of our most embarrassing defeats. Luckily for him Vettori and Boult saved the day.

Southee is 0/100 against Afghanistan and Bangas that isn't making my team of the tournament. Honestly Shami and Morkel have been more consistent.

Surprised to see Davey get a mention if you saw him bowl you wouldn't. All he has is troll wickets.
Yeah that's what I wasimplying about Davey Ffs.

halba

International 12th Man
best bowling in group stage- australia. even tho lost the 1 game, bowlers led by starc nearly defended a measly target.

best batting in group stage - india - consistent in every game, undefeated and not close to losing.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Not really the point though.
I should have said "there's no cricketer in the world who's watched them both bowl in this world cup that would pick Shami". That is the point.

And you can't just ignore a 7-for.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah people really need to stop arguing who the better bowler is or who they would choose if picking a team. Not the ****ing point of this thread.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I like how India have done well in the group stages and yet no one really stands out enough to be justified a starting spot in a combined XI.. Maybe Dhawan excluded.. After years of seeing individuals do great and team not so great, this is a welcome change of pace.. Long may it last.. And now that I have said it, I am gonna fear BD thrashing us at MCG :(
Yeah very even side at the moment.

Flem274*

123/5
he bowled a few terrible overs up front but with enough pearlers to get finch and warner. after that he was fine.

that was his worst game of the tournament and he still took important wickets. i'll happily take that.
"it's the usual indian story. he came onto the scene swinging it both ways at respectable pace and destroying sides and now the non-threatening no movement medium pace factory is threatening him"

This is probably the most inaccurate statement about Shami out there, outside of the debut home series against WI on a pitch which was reversing, he has never "destroyed sides". Shami has always been overrated in test matches, bowling the occasional good ball with a bunch of leg side and short and wide rubbish.

In ODI's he's been India's best death bowler and just best bowler in general. The highest wicket taker since 2014.
fine, destroyed a side. stop being so pedantic.

since then he's bowled rubbish, as you point out.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He bowled mediocre vs. Bangladesh too.

I think Southee's 7-fer puts him just ahead of Shami. Both bowled well this World Cup though.

Starc and Boult definitely ahead of those 2.